• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So Hows your 2006 Yearlist Going then ? (1 Viewer)

deboo said:
1. Ross's Gull - tik.

:)
Not too shabby, was it Dave? Got to be one of the most attractive gulls in the world...

Anyway, that's the first 2006 lifer safely under the belt. Next please! (Maybe Scops if it's for real...)

edit: oh, and the yearlist is about 80 - I haven't bothered to decipher the scribbling yet!

Attachments

• ross1.jpg
    ross1.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 330
  • ross3.jpg
    ross3.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 267
  • ross2.jpg
    ross2.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
Rain, rain all day meant I was restricted to watching from behind the house windows on and off.....and my sum total today is a measly 16, in the following order:

Great Tit
Blue Tit
Common Chaffinch
Common Blackbird
House Sparrow
Hedge Accentor
Eurasian Siskin
Eurasian Nuthatch
Eurasian Collared Dove
Hawfinch
European Greenfinch
European Robin
European Goldfinch
Common Wood Pigeon
Eurasian Jackdaw
Black-billed Magpie

Should do better tomorrow since I'm going to take a walk around my local patch, weather permitting.

A 1- 2 hour walk through town and along the river a lovely sunny day and the snow is now ice!

I saw:

Rook
House Sparrow
Collared Dove
Wood Pigeon
Starling
Black Headed Gull
Fieldfare (just 1)
Blackbird
Mallard
Blue Tit
Goosander (1 male 4 female)
Robin
Crow
Greenfinch
Chaffinch
Herring Gull
Common Buzzard

Actually I'm more surprised by what I didn't see - Dipper, Wren, Treecreeper and Great and Coal Tits.

D

My wife and I went out to a couple of my local patches (Lake Contrary & Bluff Woods) near Saint Joseph, Missouri, for about two hours (8 AM - 10 AM). We tallied 36 species. Here is the list in the order which we saw them.

1. Mourning Dove (first bird of the year, in our yard/garden)

2. Rock Pigeon (#2 through #30 were around Lake Contrary area)
3. European Starling
4. Canada Goose
5. Eurasian Collared-Dove
6. Red-winged Blackbird
7. Common Grackle
8. American Crow
9. Red-tailed Hawk
10. Common Goldeneye
11. Cackling Goose
12. Mallard
13. Ring-billed Gull
14. Song Sparrow
15. Snow Goose
16. Northern Flicker
17. Northern Cardinal
18. Blue Jay
19. Bald Eagle
20. Downy Woodpecker
21. Carolina Wren
22. Red-bellied Woodpecker
23. Dark-eyed Junco
24. American Tree Sparrow
25. American Kestrel
26. House Sparrow
27. Horned Lark
28. Loggerhead Shrike
29. Northern Harrier
30. Eastern Bluebird

31. White-breasted Nuthatch (These were at Bluff Woods Conservation Area)
32. Golden-crowned Kinglet
33. Tufted Titmouse
34. White-throated Sparrow
35. Black-capped Chickadee
36. American Goldfinch

Off the mark with 37 today,

Had some good ones to start the day down the local beach (caister) ... Med. Gull, c250 Snow Buntings, 6 Sanderling & 3 Turnstone

Followed by 3 Marsh Harriers up Horsey Rd plus lots of Snipe, but no Cranes though.

er Andrew ....

Andrew said:
... hoping for Glonk tomorrow ...
.... what on earth is a Glonk ?

Karl J said:
Off the mark with 37 today,

Had some good ones to start the day down the local beach (caister) ... Med. Gull, c250 Snow Buntings, 6 Sanderling & 3 Turnstone

Followed by 3 Marsh Harriers up Horsey Rd plus lots of Snipe, but no Cranes though.

er Andrew ....

.... what on earth is a Glonk ?
Glaucous Gull

oh, thanks ... never heard of a Glonk before !

good luck on that one Andrew :t:

Last edited:
jtibbetts said:
I know i said i wouldnt do a year list this year, but i couldnt resist it! However this year isnt going to be a mad one like last year; need to save the pennies!

I have said exactly the same as you. The cost ran away with me last year. Mind you that Ross' Gull is a bit of a draw. lol

jtibbetts said:
Am on 50 after a 2 hour walk round local area, the best species being Lesser-spotted Woodpecker, Kingfisher and Raven.

Would all be new for me this year. The Lesserpecker I am struggling with of late. Didn't get one at all in 2005.

Stayed relatively local today but still managed a start of 57. They included Great Northern Diver, Smew, Hawfinch, Pintail, and Tree Sparrow plus a gull that has stumped me. I have done a thread about it with photos so if anyone knows what it is I would be grateful if you could tell me.

Richard W said:
started the year with a Hawfinch (8), definitely better than 2005 ;)
Benington birds? what time were you there? I was there about 8:30ish, there were two other birders there.

As for my year list, i've ended today on 53.

I'm going for 200 this year (yes i know there's plenty on here that regularly get 200+ but it'll be a biggy for me if i get it!)

BTW, who's volunteering to do the monthly updates this year? I might be persuaded if no-one else wants to do it?

I said I wasn't going to list this year but...........When I got out this morning the listing bug bit me, so I ended up on 60 (3 less than last year). Have sprained my ankle so how much you betting something turns up........ :bounce:

91 County Durham (min of 133 species reported today)
52 in 2hrs on patch.

Highlights:- 2 Peregrine, 2 Kingfisher, 4 Owl species, Marsh Tit, Red Necked Grebe, Long tailed Duck, Smew, Ruff.

but somehow missed these common ones:- Linnet, Yellowhammer, Skylark, Pied Wag, Grey Wag, Meadow Pipit, Rock Pipit, Willow Tit,

Steve

Last edited:
Benington birds? what time were you there? I was there about 8:30ish, there were two other birders there.

yep, I live just across the road, found them last Thursday.

been over several times today, first was just before 8.30 so might have just missed you, quite busy again today despite the rain, did you see the 8+birds that flew in?

Attachments

• P1010018.JPG
    P1010018.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 143
Richard W said:
yep, I live just across the road, found them last Thursday.

been over several times today, first was just before 8.30 so might have just missed you, quite busy again today despite the rain, did you see the 8+birds that flew in?
The count was up to 10 when we (me and my mate roger) left.

check your PMs

Went for a walk at 12:45 last night (this morning). My first birds of the year were a pair of great horned owls. Nice.
15 more through the kitchen window this morning, including a sharp-shinned hawk and a pileated woodpecker.

Last edited:
Got a pretty good start on the Year List with 46 (last year I only got 39 on January 1). The first 17 were seen at my feeders before and during breakfast.

01. American Goldfinch
02. Mourning Dove
03. Song Sparrow
04. Dark-eyed Junco
05. House Finch
06. House Sparrow
07. American Tree Sparrow
08. Tufted Titmouse
09. Red-bellied Woodpecker
10. Hairy Woodpecker
11. American Crow
12. Downy Woodpecker
13. White-breasted Nuthatch
14. Carolina Chickadee
15. Sharp-shinned Hawk
16. Eastern Bluebird
17. American Robin
18. European Starling
19. Blue Jay
20. Northern Cardinal
21. Canada Goose
22. Mallard
23. Belted Kingfisher
24. Red-breasted Nuthatch
25. Hermit Thrush
26. Brown Creeper
27. Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
28. Pileated Woodpecker
29. Turkey Vulture
30. Ring-necked Duck
31. Lesser Scaup
32. Red-headed Woodpecker
33. Common Goldeneye
34. Eastern Screech-Owl
35. Carolina Wren
36. Black Vulture
37. Eastern Towhee
38. Hooded Merganser
39. White-throated Sparrow
40. American Kestrel
41. Northern Mockingbird
42. Red-shouldered Hawk
43. Ring-billed Gull
44. American Coot
45. Red-tailed Hawk
46. Rock Pigeon

The best birds were Yellow-bellied Sapsucker because they aren't very common where I live, and I didn't even see one last year, and Eastern Screech-Owl because it's always good to get an owl.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back