• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So Hows your 2006 Yearlist Going then ? (3 Viewers)

Andrew said:
Water Rail.

128 Devon BOU.

You trying to wind me up?
You know that was my blocker til last year...but not seen yet, this year!!
(168!!! Will list later! Smashed last years Jan total109...that was my first year listing!!
The difference in not working full time!!)
Special day today...took 30 yr 2 's (6/7 yr olds) in three groups for half hour each to do the RSPB Big School Watch (only counted 1 hour).
They loved it -we saw 19 different species...Green Woody, LT Tits and Greenfinch highlights (we have RN Parakeets locally!!).Lots of them had lifers not that we discussed that tho!!
Arhh the magic of birding and sharing...two teachers never birded before loved it!! I am content!! :cool:

Last edited:
Added a Fish crow here at work as I was leaving the parking lot yesterday. I noticed that they were all lined up on the edge of the building and two were noticably smaller than the others.

buckskin hawk said:
You had a prairie falcon before a meadowlark?
I just "take what I can get" ;)

Sometimes the meadowlarks around here just seem to disappear at times. The Prairie Falcon is a "good bird" here, around Saint Joseph. I feel rather fortunate to have gotten it, no matter which birds I saw before or after it.

The Prairie Falcon was year bird #37
Western Meadowlark bird #60
and the Eastern Meadowlark was bird #71

Just the way it worked out!

BTW, I still do not have Northern Bobwhite or Swamp Sparrow for this year! Go figure!

The 200+ Lapland Longspurs were still in the same harvested/disked cornfield south of Saint Joseph, Missouri. They were quite visible when swirling about the field but when they landed to feed on the bits of corn in the field they virtually disappeared from view due the roughness of the field. But, by aiming my KOWA scope at the area where they landed I was able to get pretty good views with a little patience and scanning.

I added another "year bird" this morning at Bluff Woods Conservation Area just south of Saint Joseph.

88. Hermit Thrush

andy said:
2 Added today Woodcock and Jack Snipe 138 for year all Devon
I remember bumping into you at Branscombe last year - how did your 2005 effort go?

Added Dipper, Slavonian Grebe and Bar-tailed Godwit to the local list yesterday.........112

Hi Gavin faded away for last year and finished on 208 for devon, was away at crucial times of the year to often, thats my excuse anyway.

There were thousands of waterfowl at Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge, Mound City, Missouri, today. I observed twenty (20) different species of swans, geese and ducks.

New birds for the year:

89. Bufflehead
90. Great-tailed Grackle
91. Rusty Blackbird

Larry Lade said:
There were thousands of waterfowl at Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge, Mound City, Missouri, today. I observed twenty (20) different species of swans, geese and ducks.

New birds for the year:

89. Bufflehead
90. Great-tailed Grackle
91. Rusty Blackbird

Arghh... I've been watching your counts Larry, and I've been trying to keep up by 10, but you're too quick! Way to go! :clap:

timmyjones said:
Just popped into Bartley to get

62: Iceland Gull (1st winter)

Also saw 3 yellow legged gulls

My old stamping ground. I used to live half a mile away from there.

Congrats Timmy.

I may go after that bird myself next weekend if it si still breing reported.

John

A couple of Jack Snipe this afternoon nudged the local list to 113.

Andy - 208 for Devon sounds pretty respectable to me........but what do the hard-nuts and the idle rich do? 250 plus?

Last edited:
I haven't done much local birding this year yet! I do hope the rains end soon...

I added one this morning, though; a trio of Black Skimmers on the river behind the house, bringing the list to 110.

Last edited:
Brown Creeper said:
I'm perched on 100.... and Alex, guess what number 100 was..... Townsend's Solitare!!!

Yeah, I remember reading that! I'm hoping to head back to the spot it's been reported for the past 2 weeks later this week (maybe even next week) to get a better sighting - I only got heard verification. :-C Cool birds though, huh?

Added 5 more today down at the Pompey coastal area -

Black Tailed Godwit
Knot
Avocet
Rock Pipit
Purple Sandpiper

now on 115.

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back