• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So Hows your 2006 Yearlist Going then ? (1 Viewer)

At last I have got my 2nd biggest UK Blocker with
Common Rosefinch​

Also a big thank you to Mark (Deja-vu) for taking Dan (Dwayne950) and me to the Long-eared Owl and Jack Snipe sites. Thanks mate.

128. Common Rosefinch
129. Long-eared Owl
130. Common Snipe
131. Jack Snipe

Reader said:
At last I have got my 2nd biggest UK Blocker with
Common Rosefinch​

Also a big thank you to Mark (Deja-vu) for taking Dan (Dwayne950) and me to the Long-eared Owl and Jack Snipe sites. Thanks mate.

128. Common Rosefinch
129. Long-eared Owl
130. Common Snipe
131. Jack Snipe

Nice 1 John! :t:

What's your top blocker then?

dave...

Sorry to sound dumb, but what does "blocker" mean? I assume it's something like 'that bird you never get.'

overworkedirish said:
Sorry to sound dumb, but what does "blocker" mean? I assume it's something like 'that bird you never get.'

Something like that. This was a species I have been after quite often and always got there when they had gone. I even went after one last year that had been on site for weeks prior to my arrival. It disappeared all day only to come back the very next day and stayed for a while after also.

Penduline Tit is even worse. I have been to so many places here in Britain and abroad and always missed them. I even stood over a calling one for three hours at Dungeness until it got too dark to stay any longer. It never showed once.

John

For the week
Ring Necked Duck, amerikantukkasotka
Ruddy Duck, kuparisorsa
Red Head, Amerikanpunasotka
Hairy Woodpecker, amerikan käpytikka
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker, mahlatikka
American Tree Sparrow, amerikansirkkuli
61 Horned Lark, tunturikiuru
Some Finnish names, for those that are able to read.

Last edited:
Banged in Med Gull at Loch Ore. (site first) plus shovelor, green woodpecker, Ruddy duck and RL Part putting me on 120 for Fife for the year. 80 to go.

isn't a blocker a bird you have seen that is very difficult for others to now see?

for example Yellow-throated Vireo, Red-breasted Nuthatch and Ancient Murrelet are three of my blockers.

anyway, only decent additon to my self found list this weekend was a Scaup

Tim

Tim Allwood said:
isn't a blocker a bird you have seen that is very difficult for others to now see?

for example Yellow-throated Vireo, Red-breasted Nuthatch and Ancient Murrelet are three of my blockers.

Tim

Tim you name dropper!!!!

I also thought that was what blocker meant, not that I have any....

Up to 149 now; highlight being the Lesser Scaup on the Ouse Washes yesterday lunchtime, only the second ever for me.

When it eventually woke up properly, it showed really well - I managed to see all the key features including wing pattern in flight. Nice!

dbradnum said:
Up to 149 now; highlight being the Lesser Scaup on the Ouse Washes yesterday lunchtime, only the second ever for me.

When it eventually woke up properly, it showed really well - I managed to see all the key features including wing pattern in flight. Nice!

Sounds like you were lucky...someone post a pix on Surfbirds and said it woke up for about 6 seconds in an hour on Saturday.
The weather has been warmer here...do you think that would be why it even flew?

I cracked 175 today with fairly common birds that eluded me in January.
But talons crossed for Wednesday...going to Rainham (had problem with a pet having to go to the vets on Saturday am)... have you seen the pix they got of the Swingers? on Surfbirds?-Penduline Tits -sorry its all Deboo's fault!!

After a days birding in Lancashire,added the following

78.Stonechat
79.reed Bunting
80.Pink-footed Goose
81.Peregrine Falcon
82.Tree Sparrow
83.Grey Partridge
84.Yellowhammer
85.Golden Plover
86.Great Black-backed Gull
87.Great Crested Grebe

Hope to bump the list up in a fortnight,going to Norfolk for a long weekend. :t:

I think I said earlier in the week that I would blast through 100 in one fowl "catch up" swoop. Not exactly but plugged some gaps :-

74 Chiff chaff
75 Bewicks Swan
76 Curlew
77 Dunlin
78 Golden Plover
79 Linnet

All the right places at all the right times - no se/le owls, no hen harrier, no water rail yet, no merlin, no perergrine, no brent goose, no purple sandpiper, no ..... come on !!! I'm taking a day off work and not coming home until I'm over 100 - seriously rubbish from a numbers point of view. I loved every one of these - of course I did - just want more.

Serious time in the field required.

Reader said:
This was a species I have been after quite often and always got there when they had gone.......always missed them........

John, I call birds in this category 'BOGEY BIRDS' and, like Tim, would like to drop a similar bunch of names in the 'BLOCKER' category. Modesty forbids it, however......suffice to say the last couple of years has seen my blocker list shortened somewhat - good thing that none of my collection of Rembrandts and Van Goghs is suddenly going to turn up on Scilly or at Landguard so everybody can have one!

Local rarity today, in the form of 11 European Whitefronts, added another to my 2006 list.........114.

Started the year off with some woodpeckers (red-headed, downy & pileated) brown creeper, chipping sparrow, mourning dove, and a cardinal.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back