• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So Hows your 2006 Yearlist Going then ? (1 Viewer)

Added the blue-collared Bewick's Swan near Loch Leven y'day. Up to 131. Slowing down now. Managed to tick the Mona Lisa, the Venus di Milo and the Eiffel Tower at the weekend though!

After a trip to Norfolk at the weekend have added to the list.

89.Red-throated Diver
90.Little Grebe
91.Fulmar
92.Bewick Swan
93.Whooper Swan
94.Brent Goose
95.Egyptian Goose
96.Common Scoter
97.Marsh Harrier
98.Common Crane
99.Avocet
100.Ringed Plover
101.Grey Plover
102.Bar-tailed Godwit
103.Spotted Redshank
104.Turnstone
105.Sanderling
106.Dunlin
107.Ruff
108.Yellow-legged Gull
109.Stock dove
110.Barn Owl
111.Short-eared Owl
112.Skylark
113.Shorelark
114.Meadow Pipit
115.Willow Tit
116.Linnet
117.Twite
118.Snow Bunting
119.Corn Bunting
and finally on the way home at Harewood
120.Red Kite

Last edited:
Hi Geoff

Hate to mention it but you have shown Shorelark twice at No's 112 & 119. Should one of them been another bird.

John

Good morning for me but very cold fruitless evening on Bursdon Moor.

Still Ring-necked Duck and Spoonbills ain't too bad. 140 Devon BOU.

Geoff Pain said:
After a trip to Norfolk at the weekend have added to the list.

89.Red-throated Diver
90.Little Grebe
91.Fulmar
92.Bewick Swan
93.Whooper Swan
94.Brent Goose
95.Egyptian Goose
96.Common Scoter
97.Marsh Harrier
98.Common Crane
99.Avocet
100.Ringed Plover
101.Grey Plover
102.Bar-tailed Godwit
103.Spotted Redshank
104.Turnstone
105.Sanderling
106.Dunlin
107.Ruff
108.Yellow-legged Gull
109.Stock dove
110.Barn Owl
111.Short-eared Owl
112.Skylark
113.Shorelark
114.Meadow Pipit
115.Willow Tit
116.Linnet
117.Twite
118.Snow Bunting
119.Corn Bunting
and finally on the way home at Harewood
120.Red Kite

Hi Geoff,

Were you at Stubb Mill on Sat afternoon/evening?, I set up next to & chatted to a guy with a very broad Yorkie accent.

Cheers,

John.

Just back from a weekend in Sweden where i connected with Northern Hawk-Owl, 5 Eurasian Pygmy-Owl, 5 Siberian Jays, 3 Grey-headed Woodpeckers, Arctic Redpoll, Crested Tit, Black Woodpecker, Rough-legged Buzzard, Great Grey Shrike and Bohemian Waxwing amongst many others (full trip report via my signature, including some pictures).

It was also great to see many Scandinavian/northern races of more common Western palearctic species such as Eurasain Nuthatch, 'Northern' Eurasian Bullfinch, 'Continental' Coal Tit, Willow Tit etc amongst others.

Year list now around 694

ANDY

Thank you

Thank y'all for your best wishes. At present my wife is having to make do with my descriptions of the birds I see. She was particularly peeved to hear that I saw 100+ Cedar Waxwings -- more or less her favorite bird -- yesterday and another 40+ today! She's loved them ever since a flock of 600+ turned up outside our San Francisco Bay apartment a few Christmases back. (How do I know how many there were? I videoed them and then painstakingly counted.)

BTW, until today I'd only seen the very occasional American Robin but today I spotted a flock of 20+. It's certainly a very odd winter or non-winter here in southeast Texas. We've had only one night of frost and they're saying there probably won't be any more!

Jeff

Andrew said:
Good morning for me but very cold fruitless evening on Bursdon Moor.

Still Ring-necked Duck and Spoonbills ain't too bad. 140 Devon BOU.

I so nearly went up to Bursdon yesterday, but gave the idea up as a bad job! Spent fruitless couple of hours instead looking for Goshawk on Dartmoor. Only tick added, 16 Common Crossbill - 110 Devon

rubbish.

JohnnyH said:
Hi Geoff,

Were you at Stubb Mill on Sat afternoon/evening?, I set up next to & chatted to a guy with a very broad Yorkie accent.

Cheers,

John.

Not me John,I was down there on Friday.Didn't go to Stubb Mill got my Cranes at Brograve Farm,21 of them. :t:

Geoff Pain said:
Not me John,I was down there on Friday.Didn't go to Stubb Mill got my Cranes at Brograve Farm,21 of them. :t:

Fair play Geoff, thought I might have got my first BF tick!

Cheers,

John.

First real birding of the year

I finally managed to fit in 2.5 hours of birding at a "real" site: Lake Sheldon, just east of Houston.

Saw a total of 53 species, of which year firsts were 23. So my year's total goes up from a dismal 58 to a slightly more respectable 81. I'd probably have done a lot better if I'd taken along a scope.

The most common species were Snow Geese, American Coot and Common Moorhen. There were hundreds of each of these.

There were no spectacular sightings but plenty of birds that are always a joy to see, such as Wood Duck, White Pelican and Pileated Woodpecker.

I could have sworn I saw Garganey but the guides all agree this would be very unlikely. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camcorder with me.

Jeff

January was supposed to be a good month as the weather was better than normal (19 total days with high temperatures 50 F or above. Wheew!) But my january totals were poor (24 for the month), and february is even worse... nothing in all of February...

And the weather is getting colder... right now it's about 30 degrees.

However, I saw a Hairy woodpecker for the second time this year, but was unable to get a shot of it.

Hopefully I will begin to see more birds at my two feeders, but with a neighbor with 5 feeders competing for birds, it's a no-brainer who wins...

I have a feeling I won't top last year's list (which ended at 100), but I can always try.
There's been hundreds of Evening Grosbeaks being sighted, but never seen one yet. That'd be a lifer if I ever saw one.

Good luck, everyone (not really leaving, just taking a break) and wish me the same as I continue to watch for birds.

Gthang out!

So far this year (my first year)

1 Snow Goose
2 Canada Goose
3 Mallard
4 Wild Turkey
5 Black Vulture
6 Turkey Vulture
7 Red-tailed Hawk
8 Mourning Dove
9 Belted Kingfisher
10 Red-headed Woodpecker
11 Red-bellied Woodpecker
12 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
13 Downy Woodpecker
14 Hairy Woodpecker
15 Northern Flicker
16 Pileated Woodpecker
17 Blue Jay
18 American Crow
19 Carolina Chickadee
20 Tufted Titmouse
21 White-breasted Nuthatch
22 Eastern Bluebird
23 American Robin
24 Northern Mockingbird
25 European Starling
26 Yellow-rumped Warbler
27 Eastern Towhee
28 Field Sparrow
29 Savannah Sparrow
30 Song Sparrow
31 White-throated Sparrow
32 White-crowned Sparrow
33 Dark-eyed Junco
34 Northern Cardinal
35 House Finch
36 American Goldfinch
37 House Sparrow

Gavin Haig said:
Used to keep a Staines list a while back - Water Pipit is not on it!

Hiya Gavin,

The Water Pipit was at Staines Moor, up to 8 have been seen there along the River Colne recently.There was only a single Black Neck at the Res yesterday, although had a great view as it was loafing at the edge of the South basin fairly close to the fence.

Cheers,

John :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back