• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So Hows your 2006 Yearlist Going then ? (1 Viewer)

jada dulo said:
Unfortunately a quiet w/end at Spurn produced just 1 year tick; with a 2nd picked up on the way home through Stoke...

222 - Little Auk.
223 - Red-backed Shrike.

Jase think I saw you today as I was leaving the Shrike?? You asked me if it was still about? Presume you were with Jacana?? Shame the east coast's been so poor of late!!

BB I was thinking of a couple of guys with London accents I saw at both places, hmmm....

Cheers

Drove a couple of hours north to chase a rare (at least for the Midwest) hummingbird that has been hanging around a feeder in someone's yard for the last month. I saw my target, bringing my Year List up to 506.

506. Rufous Hummingbird

The hummingbird was an Indiana state lifer. I also added Dunlin to my ABA Area (number 355) and Indiana (number 223) year lists.

Dave

dan pointon said:
Jase think I saw you today as I was leaving the Shrike?? You asked me if it was still about? Presume you were with Jacana?? Shame the east coast's been so poor of late!!

BB I was thinking of a couple of guys with London accents I saw at both places, hmmm....

Cheers

Hiya Dan!! Bloody hell, if I'd known that was you I'd've stopped for a natter. Yeah, we got great views of the shrike; but Spurn was poor.... First time I've left there without a lifer under my belt... Oh well, it was still a great laugh & we'll be back there next year.
I will keep an eye out for you in the future, if you see me again just shout hi!!
Take care mate.

jada dulo said:
Hiya Dan!! Bloody hell, if I'd known that was you I'd've stopped for a natter. Yeah, we got great views of the shrike; but Spurn was poor.... First time I've left there without a lifer under my belt... Oh well, it was still a great laugh & we'll be back there next year.
I will keep an eye out for you in the future, if you see me again just shout hi!!
Take care mate.

Jase, didn't realise it was you till I saw the Surfbirds update later on, shame, sure i'll bump in to you again anyway...oh yeah out of the two of us I was the one on the right. See you around!

D

4 more 162) R.Ouzel (L)
163) Brambling
164) Pink feet
165) Corn Bunting

Not a bad week considering my car broke down 3 times (the corn bunting was on power lines above my stricken car in the middle of nowhere).

This afternoon I left work early and went to a local lake to chase some Surf Scoters that had been seen there. Dipped on the scoters, but did add a new bird to my Year List.

507. Horned Grebe

Dave

Hotspur said:
Not a bad week considering my car broke down 3 times (the corn bunting was on power lines above my stricken car in the middle of nowhere).
It's an ill wind.....etc

Was it laughing?? ;)

Merlin today (at last) takes the year list to 187, a blistering new all-comers all-time Seaton-and-nearby-places local patch area type record :loveme:

Last edited:
Added another 4 today....

291: Lesser Canada Goose - Dumfries
292: Isabelline Shrike (Daurian)
293: Little Auk
294: Bonaparte's Gull

Also stopped off at Melbermy on the way back for a ridiculously showy White Stork! Pics to follow....

ps - well done on the new record Gav!

Got these on the poor Spurn trip:

166. Little auk (lifer)
167. black redstart
168. pink footed goose
169. red backed shrike (lifer)

After a weekend in Norfolk my year list has gone up to:
215 (UK)
318 in total (UK & Turkey)

Surf Scoter
White-rumped Sandpiper
Little Auk

John

Two new ones today - both quality too. A seawatch at Branscombe produced Little Auk (4 of the little darlin's) and a patch mega - a drake Goldeneye! That's 189 for me, and clocks up this year's 200th bird for the patch, in total. Pretty amazing..............

Led a full-day birding tour to Muscatatuck National Wildlife Refuge in Seymour, Indiana. We got 57 species on the day, including one year bird and Indiana state lifer.

509. Whooping Crane

This is a rather dodgy addition to my Year List and Indiana List, since the two Whooping Cranes I saw are part of the re-introduction of Whooping Cranes to the eastern United States. The cranes were re-introduced in Wisconsin and migrate to their wintering grounds in Florida. They are a separate group from those that nest in Alberta and winter in Texas. However, since the cranes have been breeding on their own for several years now, and the birds I saw were immatures, and therefore hatched and raised in the wild, I decided to count them.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back