• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So which broadband do I choose. (1 Viewer)

bill lord said:
... So I signed up, got turned on last Monday, mind you that's all I got, still no broadband. But having read others comments I'm hopeful.

Bill,
Who did you sign up with? I'm looking for 3Gb bandwidth; no more than £18.00; free modem and 2 filters. Is this what you (or anyone else) got? Or am I being unreasonable?

Chris

zurtfox said:
Bill,
Who did you sign up with? I'm looking for 3Gb bandwidth; no more than £18.00; free modem and 2 filters. Is this what you (or anyone else) got? Or am I being unreasonable?

Chris

I signed up with Metronet, you pay for your own equipment, and connection by BT, but then you pay a minimum of £10 which covers the first 200mb and then pay 0.225p permb up to a max of I think £22 ( But I am unlikely to reach it ) on current usage I don't expect to exceed the basic payment very often.
BT actualy rang me today and did attempt something from the exchange without success, but I have an engineer coming out on Wednesday but I'm not holding my breath waiting for success. I'll believe it when I see it.

Right my broadband is working superbly now, it seems that it didn't like the wiring for my extension phones in the house which was stopping any adsl connection in the house even at the base socket. So I've now got a nice new socket where the phone line comes in and an adsl extension through to where my computers live. Then it didn't like my Norton firewall, so I've had to turn that off. All I have to do now is network the two machines together, using internet connection sharing which doesn't seem to want to happen at the moment, I might have to buy a router. But that apart I'm now a happy bunny.

Whoopeee!

bill lord said:
BT actualy rang me today and did attempt something from the exchange without success, but I have an engineer coming out on Wednesday but I'm not holding my breath waiting for success. I'll believe it when I see it.

Hi Bill,

I signed up with BT last week (Basic = 1Gb = £17.99). Was told it would be ready on 20th (today). An e-mail arrived this morning saying it was now available; the postie delivered the (free) modem and 2 filters; I installed software and modem and Viola! Big, silly grin time!!!

XP went into auto-update mode and picked up 10Mb in seconds! (Silly grin getting bigger).

However, remember I am at the end of a 7km line (at least) as this may be the reason it took about 6 redials to reconnect after playing around with cables.

But big silly grin is still there; it is such a change from 33kps or less.

Cheers

Chris

At long last - since I started this thread - I have signed up with aol for my broadband connection and am absolutely delighted. The pack they sent me was great - very simple to understand and the set up took no longer than 10 minutes. I had a couple of questions and I really appreciated the free help line - which as I am not very technical - was a necessity. And the difference ... I wwent for the cheaper package which is £18 a month.
Thank you everybody for all your advice and all the responses. :flowers:

Broadband and keeping your email address

Here's a useful web site to look at prices of different services: http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

I've gone with Wanadoo 1meg link - seems ok but it seems to slow down at certain times (evenings) when other users in the area or at Wanadoo are clogging up the system. As one person commented, the 2 gb download limit isn't much of a limitation, and you can always upgrade to the 5gb limit in the new year if this is a problem.

One way you can keep your email address is to buy up your own domain and hosting - you can do this quite cheaply if you just want the domain for email e.g. through oneandone.co.uk. This means you can use any provider, (including dial-up, broadband) to connect to the internet and send and receive emails. If you do this with Wanadoo though watch out because Wanadoo (and Freeserve) blocks one of the ports for sending your emails and you have to do a small fix in your Outlook or other email system settings to get around this.

Cheers

[email protected]

kim said:
I am considering broadband - and it is available in my area. Do I go with BT, Onetel or aol? I have all 3 in a way - BT purely for line rental' aol as my ISP and onetel for overseas telephone - oh and carphone warehouse 'talk talk for National!!
Any advice?
Thanks
Kim

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back