• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some pics from a complete novice..... (1 Viewer)

Shot on 7D with a EF-S 55-250mm mostly at full range.

I have been reading up advice from other threads regarding BIF, exposure, iso, and such. The thing is for me is that I want to take pictures that I can do realistic paintings from, so they need a good amount of detail. I do have some problems though in that I have no idea about altering settings while out in the field. So far I have had the camera set at full auto with me manually focusing. I'm wondering if I can program it to have some of the best settings in C1, C2, and C3, so that I can just flick to these instead of fiddling when out shooting. I have trouble with my hands, especially in the cold, and they can stop working for finer/quicker adjustments. I'm also struggling at retaining information that I read long term due to medication too, so pre setting would be great. Otherwise I fear the birds will be gone by the time I'm ready!

Any advice greatly appreciated, and any comments on the pics.

The BIF was my first proper try, and basically me just practicing following the bird. It was rather far away. They have had nothing done to them editing wise except cropping.

Suzanne

Attachments

• IMG_2049crop copy.jpg
    IMG_2049crop copy.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_2048crop.jpg
    IMG_2048crop.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1824crop.jpg
    IMG_1824crop.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1737crop.jpg
    IMG_1737crop.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1910crop.jpg
    IMG_1910crop.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 115
Shot on 7D with a EF-S 55-250mm mostly at full range.

I have been reading up advice from other threads regarding BIF, exposure, iso, and such. The thing is for me is that I want to take pictures that I can do realistic paintings from, so they need a good amount of detail. I do have some problems though in that I have no idea about altering settings while out in the field. So far I have had the camera set at full auto with me manually focusing. I'm wondering if I can program it to have some of the best settings in C1, C2, and C3, so that I can just flick to these instead of fiddling when out shooting. I have trouble with my hands, especially in the cold, and they can stop working for finer/quicker adjustments. I'm also struggling at retaining information that I read long term due to medication too, so pre setting would be great. Otherwise I fear the birds will be gone by the time I'm ready!

Any advice greatly appreciated, and any comments on the pics.

The BIF was my first proper try, and basically me just practicing following the bird. It was rather far away. They have had nothing done to them editing wise except cropping.

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

Firstly let me say that your photo's are not far off the mark in my opinion..just need a few tweaks of the settings and sharpening.

I am a Nikon man so although not familiar with Canon,I can say what works for me.I find the manual setting works best for me. I have a custom setting that allows me to set the ISO to auto which makes an allowance for poor light. I set this to a maximum of 800 iso and a minimum of 200 iso. I then set the shutter speed to a minimum of 800th of a second(for my 500mm f4 lens) and tend to use an aperture that's widest for my lens...which is f4...yours will depend upon your lense's widest aperture. The shutter speed again will depend upon your lens and as you are using one which goes to 250mm i suggest a shutter speed of no less than 250th of a second...if shooting BIF you will need a minimum of 500th of a second and preferably twice that if light allows.

Regarding your hand problems i suggest using as faster shutter speed as conditions(light)allows...as this will help stop blurred images due to shaking. If your lens has image stabilisation this too will certainly help and also allow you to use slower shutter speeds for stationary subjects. I tend to use auto focus...set to the maximum focus points on matrix and manually override it if necessary...and set metering mode to either spot or centre point. This does differ according to what other photographers find what's best for them...so it's personal really and a matter of just practising yourself to see what works best for you in particular.

I hope this helps you.

Regards,

Phil.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for that Phil. I was beginning to worry that no-one was going to say anything. I have found a chap who has given his settings for BIF on another site. So I have managed to set C1 to those, and see how they go compared to what I've been getting. I do know that I need a better lens, and that will come at a later date.

I have practiced a bit more. I know they are only Gulls, but still.

Thanks again.

Suzanne

Attachments

• IMG_2427crop.jpg
    IMG_2427crop.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2430crop.jpg
    IMG_2430crop.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2431crop.jpg
    IMG_2431crop.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Thank you very much for that Phil. I was beginning to worry that no-one was going to say anything. I have found a chap who has given his settings for BIF on another site. So I have managed to set C1 to those, and see how they go compared to what I've been getting. I do know that I need a better lens, and that will come at a later date.

I have practiced a bit more. I know they are only Gulls, but still.

Thanks again.

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

You are very welcome. I can see that you have been practising! Lovely shots.
There really is no substitute for practise and none of us can get too much! Gulls are such good subjects to help hone bif techniques. Good luck.

Phil.

Suzanne, sorry I haven't looked much recently and I've only just see your post.

C1, C2 & C3: yes, you can programme in just about anything you like on these settings. I vary what I have on each depending what I'm photographing: sometimes it's just a case of different ISO settings.

Different people will tell you different things as regards what settings to use. I tend to use aperture priority usually with the lens wide open and then adjust the ISO setting as necessary to keep the shutter speed about where I want it. Others will use shutter priority, while some will use full manual settings (manual focus too). Keep practising using different settings, be critical of your own photos and then use what gives you the best results. In general anything with eyes should be focused on the eyes, which you already know from the photos shown above.

Lens: better lenses produce better results. You're going to get much better results if you can afford a 400/f2.8 or a 500/f4 than with a standard 70-300 zoom - but then you need another £7,500.

The good thing about digital is that it costs nothing to practise.

I like the shots so far! Good luck.

Thank you Dave. Unfortunately it won't be the lenses you've lists as my bank account laughs at me if I even think about it :-( I will be going for a 400mm 5.6 prime when I have the finances available. In the mean time I'm loving getting out, and practicing with the camera. In fact on good light days I'm very torn between painting, and photography!

Suzanne

Suzanne, I've never really painted and have always envied those who do it seemingly effortlessly. I was always okay at doing technical drawings of plants and animals when learning Botany and Zoology at school, but there was little artistic about them. I do believe that painting says more about the talent of the person than photography does: at least certain types of photography, which depend on having the right (and expensive) equipment.

As an aside Michael Portillo was in Donny this week, with Bradshaw's in hand, on one of his Great British Railway Journeys. Maybe if you continue painting Terence Cuneo will have a rival, though I suspect trains are not top of your list of things to paint.....and this is confirmed on a quick look at what you have on facebook. I like the portrait most of all. A very nice series, Suzanne.

Dave.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back