• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sound from the '70's (1 Viewer)

kinnard

Hi all bird lovers out there.

This is my first time to visit this web-site. The reason I found it this evening is, I was out for my usual walk and I heard a sound I have'nt heard since I was a child, back in the '70's. It was a bird we used to call the"sky-goat", now I'm not sure if this is the proper name for it, I would love to hear from someone who may know more. I actually seen the bird for the very first time, it is quite small and the wings move very fast when it flies.
I used to hear it at dusk when I was a child, but this evening it was still quite bright, and hours to go before sunset.

Looking forward to a reply

anita

Hi all bird lovers out there.

This is my first time to visit this web-site. The reason I found it this evening is, I was out for my usual walk and I heard a sound I have'nt heard since I was a child, back in the '70's. It was a bird we used to call the"sky-goat", now I'm not sure if this is the proper name for it, I would love to hear from someone who may know more. I actually seen the bird for the very first time, it is quite small and the wings move very fast when it flies.
I used to hear it at dusk when I was a child, but this evening it was still quite bright, and hours to go before sunset.

Looking forward to a reply

anita

Hello Anita and welcome to birdforum. I've never heard of a sky goat - can you describe the sound at all?

Thanks

Mike

Hi anita and a warm welcome from me too

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I'll look forward to your contributions.

D

Thanks for all your "welcomes".
I thought a snipe was a bigger bird than this one. It was smaller than a blackbird, and in flight the wings move very, very fast and it was quite high in the sky.

Anita

Thanks for all your "welcomes".
I thought a snipe was a bigger bird than this one. It was smaller than a blackbird, and in flight the wings move very, very fast and it was quite high in the sky.

Anita

Hi Anita

Snipe are pretty small birds when you see them fly. Listen to the sound in this link and I think you'll recognise your skygoat.

Mike

Hi Anita

Snipe are pretty small birds when you see them fly. Listen to the sound in this link and I think you'll recognise your skygoat.

Mike

Thank you Mike, that is the exact sound. I would never have thought of it being a snipe.
I live in the midlands of Ireland, and last year while walking I disturbed what I now think was an Egret on the shores of Lough Ree, would this be a rare sighting. I have seen them since in Co. Cork, but I did'nt thing they came as far north as the midlands, and this sighting was in February.

Anita

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back