• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern African & Kenyan Bird Photos (1 Viewer)

Stephen Ambrose

Hi Everyone,

A friend of mine (Gillian Dunkerley) has recently returned from a trip to Botswana (Okavango Delta) and Kenya. She has sent me 7 photos (of variable quality) of bird species that she cannot identify. If there's anyone interested in helping her identify them, you can email me on stephen 'at' ambecol.com.au and I can forward the images to you.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Stephen Ambrose
Sydney, Australia

Hi Everyone,

A friend of mine (Gillian Dunkerley) has recently returned from a trip to Botswana (Okavango Delta) and Kenya. She has sent me 7 photos (of variable quality) of bird species that she cannot identify. If there's anyone interested in helping her identify them, you can email me on [email protected] and I can forward the images to you.

Stephen, can you post them here on the site?

I'm sure you'll find many people with African expertise to help you out,

BT

Hi Everyone,

A friend of mine (Gillian Dunkerley) has recently returned from a trip to Botswana (Okavango Delta) and Kenya. She has sent me 7 photos (of variable quality) of bird species that she cannot identify. If there's anyone interested in helping her identify them, you can email me on stephen 'at' ambecol.com.au and I can forward the images to you.

Regards,
Stephen Ambrose
Sydney, Australia

OK, Stephen,

I've got the pics so I'm going to download them here so that everybody can have a look and express an opinion. Right, here are the first four.

The flock of Okavango birds look like Wattled Starlings Creatophora cinerea.

The sunbird is tricky - Delta sunbirds are Scarlet-chested Sunbird, Amethyst Sunbird, Collared Sunbird, White-bellied Sunbird, Marico Sunbird - and it doen't much look like any of them. It's dark - but then sunbird colour comes from iridescence in sunlight - best bet might be Amethyst Chalcomitra amethystina in funny lighting.

Number 4 looks like a young Bateleur Terathopius ecaudatus - the short tail is characteristic.

5 rap looks like Dickinson's Kestrel Falco dickinsoni.

Hope this helps
Dave Kennedy

Attachments

• Unknown birds Okavango.jpg
    Unknown birds Okavango.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 2 sunfird_DSC3291.jpg
    2 sunfird_DSC3291.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 4 bird_DSC4918.jpg
    4 bird_DSC4918.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 5 rap_DSC5263.jpg
    5 rap_DSC5263.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 104
Hi Everyone,

Regards,
Stephen Ambrose
Sydney, Australia

OK, Stephen, now the Kenya pics.

The yellow bird on the ground looks like a female weaver, possibly the Lesser Masked Weaver Ploceus intermedius. Note the pale eye.

The two brown and white striped birds are female Violet-backed Starlings Cinnyricinclus leucogaster - sexual dimorphism in this species is extreme.

The last one, Mara bird, I will leave to the Kenya experts. It is not overloaded with distinguishing features, so I would be reluctant to hazard a guess.

Good luck,
Dave Kennedy

Attachments

• bird_DSC6219.jpg
    bird_DSC6219.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 71
  • birds_DSC8075.jpg
    birds_DSC8075.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Mara bird_DSC6683.jpg
    Mara bird_DSC6683.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 97
Dave,
Could the third Kenyan image be an immature Wattled Starling?

Steve - I considered that, because I thought I could just make out something of a marking around the eye - but I couldn't be sure, and I don't really know Kenyan birds. But it's a fair suggestion.

Regards,
Dave

Good suggestion, David. I think you're right.

Anybody got any ideas about the Kenyan bird sitting on the Acacia?

Agree with the Scimitarbill ID. The other IDs look right to me too. The lone bird on the acacia certainly looks a close match for Wattled Starling but no obvious pale eye patch so not really sure, sorry.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back