• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spanish lynx (1 Viewer)

Well day two at Andujar drew a complete blank despite excessive field time in the heat. I did hear a Lynx, again at Jandula but couldn't locate it behind vegetation above me though the magpies clearly succeeded where I'd failed.
On the morning of day three I'd again drawn a blank, this time at La Lancha despite arriving before dawn and leaving well after 11. Thinking that the male I had seen had been rather fortuitous and coming to the conclusion it might be the only one I'd see, I drove slowly back to Los Pinos stopping occasionally to enjoy the deer.
I'd passed Los Escorialis and was heading down past the various compounds when I noticed some movement in the shadows on the side of the road. Having just passed several dogs I assumed it was more of the same, until I saw the shape!

I parked on the side of the road and saw a vehicle coming out of a compound so stopped it, explaining that there were three Lynx in the road. The occupant just happened to be a Lynx researcher who very happy, got out a receiver and told me that this female was called 'Elam'. We enjoyed really close views as the cats were very relaxed and settled down in vegetation close to the road, soaking it all up. I stopped another car who I recognised as another Lynx watcher from passing and the enjoyment continued. Sadly the next car down contained what only could be called a 'bull in a china shop' of a photographer, who despite increasing protestations, pushed too far, too fast and panicked the trio, one of the kittens going evidently the wrong way and being separated. With a Lynx kitten then running around all over the place, crossing the road several times and calling wildly I spoke with another researcher, who very concerned, thought the best thing to do was for everyone to leave the area (which had by then drawn several more intrigued passers-by). I would really like to know that the trio were reunited quickly. I returned the following morning but there was no sign of any activity and I couldn't find any researchers or cats which I could only assume was good news.

It shouldn't have happened, a big high to extreme frustration over the total lack of responsibility shown by one individual that potentially could have been tragic.

These were all digiscoped bar the first image, I had to go backwards to get them all in.

I'll be in touch regarding the other thread Steve, but I didn't see Wolf, just tracks and having heard tales, didn't fancy slaughtering a donkey just to see one. I have seen the Desman though, just not on this trip ;)

Attachments

• SF1-1110970.jpg
    SF1-1110970.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 116
  • SFIberianLynx-1120068-3-cop.jpg
    SFIberianLynx-1120068-3-cop.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 102
  • SFB_1120050.jpg
    SFB_1120050.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Well day two at Andujar drew a complete blank despite excessive field time in the heat. I did hear a Lynx, again at Jandula but couldn't locate it behind vegetation above me though the magpies clearly succeeded where I'd failed.
On the morning of day three I'd again drawn a blank, this time at La Lancha despite arriving before dawn and leaving well after 11. Thinking that the male I had seen had been rather fortuitous and coming to the conclusion it might be the only one I'd see, I drove slowly back to Los Pinos stopping occasionally to enjoy the deer.
I'd passed Los Escorialis and was heading down past the various compounds when I noticed some movement in the shadows on the side of the road. Having just passed several dogs I assumed it was more of the same, until I saw the shape!

I parked on the side of the road and saw a vehicle coming out of a compound so stopped it, explaining that there were three Lynx in the road. The occupant just happened to be a Lynx researcher who very happy, got out a receiver and told me that this female was Elam. We enjoyed really close views as the cats were very relaxed and settled down in vegetation close to the road, soaking it all up. I stopped another car who I recognised as another Lynx watcher from passing and the enjoyment continued. Sadly the next car down contained what only could be called a 'bull in a china shop' of a photographer, who despite increasing protestations, pushed too far, too fast and panicked the trio, one of the kittens going evidently the wrong way and being separated. With a Lynx kitten then running around all over the place, crossing the road several times and calling wildly I alerted the authorities who very concerned, thought the best thing to do was for everyone to leave the area (which had by then drawn several more intrigued passers-by).

It shouldn't have happened and I went from a big high to extreme anger over the total lack of responsibility shown by one individual.

These were all digiscoped bar the first image, I had to go backwards to get them all in.

I'll be in touch regarding the other thread Steve, but I didn't see Wolf, just tracks and having heard tales, didn't fancy slaughtering a donkey just to see one. I have seen the Desman though, just not on this trip ;)
You don't think just chucking a couple of chicken legs out will do the job then Mark?;)

I maybe coming there early next year. I wonder, anybody has a tip for: Genet, Egyptian Mongoose and Iberian Hare in this part of Spain? Especially, mongoose never appears in trip reports.

Also a question: where officially ends an area were spotlighting is prohibited, and you can spotlight?

I maybe coming there early next year. I wonder, anybody has a tip for: Genet, Egyptian Mongoose and Iberian Hare in this part of Spain? Especially, mongoose never appears in trip reports.

Also a question: where officially ends an area were spotlighting is prohibited, and you can spotlight?

Hi Jurek

I will send a PM later answering part of your question (I'm at work at the moment).

Perhaps interestingly, before Mike responds to you personally I can add the following that others have apparently not experienced. At the Jandula site, I was twice stopped by official looking folk in vehicles during the late afternoon and informed that spotlighting was not allowed within the park . I also noted that during my time there, the Guardia Civil where fairly regular in their rounds, for what reason I've no idea. Driving slowly around at night is however not a problem.

Apparently the picnic area alongside the river is rather good for Genet... after dark of course...

Iberian Hares where seemingly more numerous between Los Escoriales and the La Lancha watchpoint though an evening by the concrete blocks at Jandula should also provide results.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be at all surprised if spot-lighting was banned in Spain generally. We were close to getting arrested for using small mammal traps, outside the park.

Hello there, I am new to the forum and very interested in the lynx sightings and bird spotting. I am not sure if this post will be allowed but as there are lots of people here who seem to know their stuff I would be interested in knowing what it is people are looking for in their accommodation on these trips? Do you just want comfort and easy access to sites? Or something a bit more comfortable for the evenings? Family orientated so that the family can join you? Would appreciate a few views!!

Iberian Lynx sightings

Hi

Just a quick update from the Sierra de Andujar. Lynx have been seen mainly at the River Jandula (Encinarejo) site but only occasionally at La Lancha. It is still very hot here and I think the lack of water outwith the rivers and dam are making the Lynx stay close to these sources.

On this link (here) are a few images from yesterday of one of the two Lynxes we saw at the river. Access can also be had through the website - here

Then click on the Facebook icon at the bottom of the page.

Yes stunning video. I did want the feisty Ocellated Lizard to get away. Amazing footage of the Genet after the Red Squirrel + the lynx take on the Kingfisher.

Got brilliant views a week ago at La Lancha on a couple of days out of 4, but didn't hear of any being seen at Encinarejos.

Added a decent picture, which I took through the scope as it sat below us, and the trip report can be found here.

Good luck if you go

Jules

Attachments

• Iberian Lynx.jpg
    Iberian Lynx.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 142
  • Spanish Ibex.jpg
    Spanish Ibex.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back