• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrowhawk, French Alps 18 March (1 Viewer)

Richard Prior

Halfway up an Alp
Europe
Just to show how I've not been paying proper attention during my 60 years' plus birding ;), I don't recall ever having seen this rufous feathering on the nape, would I be right to assume it's a 1st Winter individual and this area is the last to acquire adult colouring?
Merci in advance!

Attachments

• DSCN0879.JPG
    DSCN0879.JPG
    6.9 MB · Views: 63
  • DSCN0883.JPG
    DSCN0883.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 63
It is a 1st-winter / 2nd calendar year bird, so entirely in the juvenile plumage it fledged in. It will start to acquire its adult plumage at its next moult (during the summer). Juvenile sparrowhawks are at their most rufous when fresh, but here the rufous fringes on many of the larger coverts and scapulars have worn away, making the retained rufous fringes on the nape and lesser coverts at the bend of the wing stand out.

Last edited:
It is a 1st-winter / 2nd calendar year bird, so entirely in the juvenile plumage it fledged in. It will start to acquire its adult plumage at its next moult (during the summer). Juvenile sparrowhawks are at your most todos when fresh, but here the rufous fringes on many of the larger coverts and scapulars have worn away, making the retained rufous fringes on the nape and lesser coverts at the bend of the wing stand out.
Thanks Richard, very helpful to me and surely others too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back