• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrows - Texas (April 2017) (1 Viewer)

Paul Collins

Hi,

I have various sparrow photos from west Texas (late April). For some reason these ones have me stumped.

Seen in dry desert areas with mesquite.

Field Sparrow? - seen at Caprock Canyons State Park
Field Sparrow ID.jpg

Clay-Coloured Sparrow? - seen at Big Bend National Park
Clay-Coloured Sparrow 1 maybe.jpg

Olive Sparrow? Not sure, the wing details are throwing me as I'd expect more uniform green from Olive.
aa ID sparrow.jpg

Thanks,

Paul

Last edited:
Agree with 1 and 2. My first thought on #3 was Grasshopper Sparrow based on the upperpart colors, but I am not getting a Grasshopper head shape at all. I suspect Andy is right with Cassin's Sparrow.

Thanks both. That Cassin's Sparrow is quite confusing - I also got the Grasshopper vibe from the wings but not from the head.

This is a Cassin's that I photographed, I think in the same area, but it looks quite different.

Cassin's Sparrow 1.jpg

Classic Peucaea shape: flat head, very long tail. Some of these species (e.g., Cassin's) also show a little yellow in the bend of the wing, like a Grasshopper Sparrow. You can see that the tail feathers have some white tips; they look to be molting.

Andy

Classic Peucaea shape: flat head, very long tail. Some of these species (e.g., Cassin's) also show a little yellow in the bend of the wing, like a Grasshopper Sparrow. You can see that the tail feathers have some white tips; they look to be molting.

Andy

Which bird are you talking about? I'm still not convinced that the last image the OP posted (in post 4) isn't a Chipping. Or is the chestnut crown a trick of the light?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back