• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotting scope (1 Viewer)

Cervello

I am new to Birdforum ( today, 8-12 ).
I wish to purchase a spotting scope.
Retired, limited budget.
What would be a good scope (if any) for under $200.
To use primarily for bird watching.
Any suggestions would be welcome.
Cervello
(Bird-brain) ( Italian )

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

That said, I'm going to move your thread to the spotting scope section as you are likely to get more feed back there. I've also subscribed you just to this thread so you don't lose track of it ;)

Hello and welcome to Birdforum.

You may wish to consider the Bushnell Spacemaster which is well within your budget and has received a lot of really good reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Degr...=sr_1_3?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1313172831&sr=1-3

I managed to pick one up second hand at a knock down price from a local camera shop (they thought it was a toy rather than a proper scope - no longer in business surprisingly) with the intention of it leaving in the car with my spare binoculars in case of a bit of ad-hoc birding but now I have lost it to my wife who loves it as it is small, light, and actually fits in her handbag !

Anything that gets her birding is OK with me though.

Karl

Welcome Cervello,

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm looking for a scope in the same general price range and didn't want to start a fresh thread for something so similar.

I'm a college student and on a limited budget looking for a spotting scope for birding as well. I want to get a spotting scope and a tripod (not one of the tiny ones that come with most scopes I've seen) for $200 max (would really prefer under $150).

I will probably not be using it constantly, maybe a couple times month when I go out without someone who has a scope. I know my choices are limited in this price range but I want something dependable, waterproof, and decent enough for how often I'll use it. I don't digiscope but would prefer a scope that I could if I decided to in the future. I've browsed this forum as well as Amazons reviews but can't make up my mind what to get.

I plan on stopping by the local bass pro shop to test some tomorrow which I hope is helpful.

Thanks,

Josh

Josh - you may wish to consider a non-waterproof scope, which will be cheaper, and add a waterproof stay-on cover to remain within your budget.

As for tripods another bargain looks to be the Dolica at just $35:

http://www.amazon.com/Dolica-AX620B...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1313174196&sr=1-2

which has a rave review here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=30232863

This in conjunction with the Bushnell scope ($132) would sit comfortably within your budget plus the scope kit contains a hard case, soft case, car window mount, scope glove - for single handed use - and a mini-tripod.

Karl

Josh, Cervello,

Out of any of the scopes I have tried under $200 I would suggest the Celestron Ultima 65. The optics were the best I have seen in that price range. That particular model has been around for some time and Celestron continues to sell them. The image is very usable up to about 30-35x but then becomes a bit dim with more pronounced color fringing. Up to that magnification the image is sharp, bright and contrasty.

Physically it is a relatively lightweight scope for a 65 mm objective and it seems very well constructed for its price point.

Another selling point for it....if sometime down the road you want to improve the optical performance of it then it is compatible with one of the best zoom eyepieces currently on the market, the Baader Hyperion, but that is another story for another time. ;)

Another suggestion, if you can stretch your budget up about $25-$30, is the Theron Optics Saker. I have owned this one as well and the optics are simply astounding for the price. It is, to my knowledge, the least expensive extra-low dispersion glass objective spotting scope currently on the market. Apparent sharpness, brightness and color fringing control are all very, very good. Fit and finish were also very good from what I remember. Definitely worth its price and twice it as a matter of fact.

Hope this proves somewhat helpful.

Thanks for all the info. Another question: Frankd, you recommended the celestron ultima 65, have you had any experience with the ultima 80? It is $50 more ($150 vs $100 for the angled eyepiece versions). It has pretty good reviews as well for that price range and would offer more power. I'm guessing since the higher magnifications don't look that great it may not be worth the extra size/price tag.

-Josh

Yes, I have owned both along with the ED versions of both. Good scopes at their respective price points.

What you would gain with the 80 mm, theoretically, is a slightly brighter image and slightly better resolution somewhat as a result. The question is how you are going to use the scope. If physical length and weight are your primary concerns then the 65 mm makes sense. If you are looking for the brightest image and ever so slightly better resolution then the 80 mm would be the better bet.

Of course, you are still going to notice the color fringing at higher magnifications so that may take away from some of the appeal of the higher magnifications of the 80 mm.

I also just went back and checked out the link for that $35 tripod listed above. I have to admit I like the specs on paper. If I had seen it a month or so ago when I was looking for another tripod I probably would have ordered it. Instead I ended up with SLIK model for about $80 and have been happy with it. The only drawback I see to the Dolica tripd is the style of head used on it. I prefer a panning or fluid head with a handle extension.

Ok, that's sort of what I was thinking. Portability isn't a huge deal for me, however I'm also not a fanatic about the optical quality. I don't expect to get the same view as someone able to spend the money on much higher quality gear. I'm just looking to squeeze the most out of my current budget.

Also, considering I won't be using it on a daily basis I think I will probably go for the 65mm and the tripod suggested by Corax. This will be enough to hold me over for a while. :)

Thanks for all the help!

-Josh

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back