• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Starling? (1 Viewer)

Ineffable

I believe these birds to be common/European Starlings. Photos were taken 5/10/19 mid morning. The nest was built in the tongue/hitch of my 5th wheel RV, we are currently located about an hour east of San Francisco CA.

I have a picture of the nest with babies but currently having trouble resizing it to fit for the forum.

Attachments

• side (1).jpg
    side (1).jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 49
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 32
Thanks,

They are causing me a lot of suffering right now because of bird mites. The mites have actually forced me into a hotel for the time being. (I work on the road and my RV is my home why I’m working on these jobs around the country)

The rv park owner told me about the law regarding disturbing an active nest but starlings are considered invasive and not covered under the law (from my understanding) so I should be able to remove the nest and hopefully the thousands of mites soon after.

The rv park owner told me about the law regarding disturbing an active nest but starlings are considered invasive and not covered under the law (from my understanding) so I should be able to remove the nest and hopefully the thousands of mites soon after.

You are correct. They are not covered under the migratory act.

Thanks for the help, I plan on removing them this evening. They do have most of not all of there feathers so hopefully they’ll have a good chance of survival. But if it’s them vs bugs crawling all over my family... well.

Quick update, birds and nest have been removed. The baby birds actually flew away when I started removing the tongue off the RV. So I feel better and more confident they’ll survive. There was a total of six babies in the nest, nest was completely soaked and full of bird waste and mites. The source of the mites now also removed and exterminator will be there tomorrow to deal with the remaining thousands of mites.

Once again thanks for the help!

Last edited:
You are correct. They are not covered under the migratory act.

I'm disappointed that as a moderator, you seem to implicitly, encourage someone in the removal of a nest with young, neither did you mention to the poster that the posting of pictures of eggs and nests is forbidden under the forum guidelines.

Regardless of their status as protected or not, they're still birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back