• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stint - November 26 - Thailand (1 Viewer)

Indobirder

Hi All,
I saw these stints at The Gluea Cafe (Chachoengsao) Thailand yesterday. I wonder if they are maybe Little rather than Red-necked due to length of bill/legs. What are your thoughts?
Thanks!

Attachments

• list.jpg
    list.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 85
A total non-expert's view*: I would expect Little to be more contrasty, and shorter billed. Does this not look better for Red-necked Stint?
The first two at least.

*I learn by trying...not by just reading, hence my meddling in questions that are above my head.

cheers,
Gerben

Thank you for your response.

My understanding was that Little Stint has the longer bill and legs than Red-necked; which is why I think it may be little.

The bird in the back is a Temmink's Stint (yellow legs and had better views than this picture shows)

Little has a slightly longer bill than Red-necked, tapering to a fine point at the tip. The bill on these birds look rather short and blunt-tipped, more like Red-necked. Little is also slightly longer-legged and has a more upright posture than Red-necked, which usually looks hunched - again I think these birds look better for Red-necked to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back