• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange birdwatching location (1 Viewer)

I'm not sure if there's anything culturally wrong with that where you are, but many people birdwatch in cemetaries and churchyards here in Britain. Obviously show a bit of respect and common sense if there's a funeral happening, but I can't see a problem with it at most times.

There are many cemeteries here in the US that have organized bird walks. One of the local cemeteries even has owl hikes well after normal closing hours.

As Pete suggested, just keep a respectful distance from mourners.

Also look where you are putting your feet. Walking over graves is not generally culturally acceptable though in some country churchyards its hard to identify where all of them are.

John

As a maltese i think i can safely say that its not a problem if you show respect. The Adolorata cemetry is a good place to see breeding Spotted Flycatchers and finches...and is visited by other birders.

happy birding!

martin

Cemetries and churchyards can be excellent places to see birds. The ones at Great Yarmouth and Easington on the east coast are particularly well watched.
My garden is adjacent to one and I've had some decent sightings considering I live in an industrial town.

Church Norton churchyard is another fine place to go birding, as is the naval cemetery on Verne Common on the Isle of Portland.

Old Town churchyard on St Mary's in the Isles of Scilly has a list of rarities as long as your arm, and there used to be a Tawny Owl roost in a cemetery in Weymouth whose location I have forgotten.

John

As said before, these can be good places to bird. We have a national cemetery in San Diego that attracts birders from all over. As said before, just be respectful.

I would have thought as long as you remember that any mourners have priority of use, and their wishes and privacy should come first...... however good the bird is!

...and if appropriate, or possible ask permission from a cemetery keeper or priest.

Last edited:
I burried my late partner in a woodland grave yard, and planted a tree on him. The whole point is so people can go there and enjoy the wildlife.

Agreed.....cemeteries are quiet...peaceful...many birds use these locations just because of it. Just be respectful of graves but I like to think that if I was dead...heck, I wouldn't mind seeing someone once in awhile!..

Personally, I think it would be disrespectful NOT to go birding in a cemetery. As far as I am concerned, they would be a waste of land on a crowded planet otherwise.

Cheers,
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back