• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surfbirds World Rankings? (1 Viewer)

Seemed to have happened a week or so ago. No idea what’s gone on. A shame as Pete K is surely due to hit 10,000 anytime soon.

He’s getting there. Igoterra did have it on their front page to watch it in progress a few weeks back

He’s on 9919 by them with his latest ones

My mate is having problems with his daily blog on Surfbirds, for last 2-3 weeks. Not updating or something.

May or may not be related.

I asked them to delete all stringers!

joking aside, you seem to have to re-enter your data for the world list. Other lists (as far as I have some country lists) don't seem to be affected.

Last edited:
"you seem to have to re-enter your data for the world list. Other lists (as far as I have some country lists) don't seem to be affected."

I was able to re-enter my list....but only after the site had failed to recognise my email/password and I had to re-register. All my comments about trips/leaders/best birds etc. have been lost. I have emailed Surfbirds about it but , like others. have had no response. There is almost nothing on the site that has been posted recently.....rarity photos give name/species/location, some for this month....but no photograph. It looks like the site is defunct....which would be a great shame.

They have other serious problems that have not been addressed.
1. The gallery images don't show up in Chrome because Chrome defaults to not showing insecure data within secure websites. It's possible to override this in Chrome, but most people won't know that. I wrote to them; no response.
2. The Albums are hosed. I had a number of Albums there with long photo caption text. They updated the javascript so that only two lines of text would show and now my albums are all gone.

As for listing, I really like eBird. It's attached to Cornell University and is a non-profit educational institution. And I've never cared much for the IOC list whose splits and lumps did not seem to me to have a coherent philosophical basis. It's an odd mixture of modified BSC and PSC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back