• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surreybirder's lep blog (2 Viewers)

Basher said:
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check them out. I've pencilled micros into my diary for 2009. Going get to grips with the big stuff first!

That is Epiphyas postvittana (second one tonight).

Mike

It was mild but turned very windy last night. I had one new sp. for the year - pine beauty.
It was a good night for beauties as I had 3 oak plus 1 melanistic small brindled beauties.
D fagella plus a variety of Orthosia sp.
Ken

Attachments

• pine beauty 003.jpg
    pine beauty 003.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 64
Not much doing last night. The day had been sunny but it cooled rapidly at dusk. Just four species:
small quaker
common quaker
Hebrew char.
early grey.

Attachments

• early grey.jpg
    early grey.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 71
Surreybirder said:
Not much doing last night. The day had been sunny but it cooled rapidly at dusk. Just four species:
small quaker
common quaker
Hebrew char.
early grey.

Well I'd feel pleased with that Early Grey, Ken
What a lovely moth, what a nice specimen and what a good photo!!

Cup of Earl (y) Grey tea while you're identifying it, and you'll be well away!!

Best

David

Thanks, David,
Rumour has it that the temps will rise over the next few days... though it may be wet at times. Perhaps we'll start to get a few new species for the year.
How's the balcony?
Ken

24 March

Pretty quiet last night, probably not helped by the stiff breeze.
Common quaker (sev)
Small quaker (sev)
March moth
clouded drab (3)
oak beauty

Attachments

• oak beauty.jpg
    oak beauty.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 59
help!

I found this one this evening... about 8mm head to toe. Is it IDable from this photo?
Ken
PS It appears to be Epinotia immundana (a moth that likes alders of which we have a few).

Attachments

• DSCN0033 (2).JPG
    DSCN0033 (2).JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
After a warm, sunny day I thought I might have a good catch last night. But frost and mist set in and the catch was poor.
I had what I took to be a brindled pug.
Ken

Attachments

• brindled pug.jpg
    brindled pug.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 52
charly streets said:
New camera Ken?
Yes, Charly, very observant of you (or perhaps not, as my earlier efforts attracted rather a lot of caustic comments ;) ). I decided to go for a Nikon Coolpix as everyone says how good they are. I'm still trying to get the hang of the umpteen controls. It produces good results despite my best efforts but I've got a lot to learn. So far I've not managed to get any decent photos without using flash, which of course tends to burn out the image. (The camera is available from Warehouse Express at about 1/3 of its original RRP.)
Ken

Good luck with it Ken. Coolpixs are pretty good for butterflies, dragonflies etc. as well so there will be no stopping you this summer. If you need help on getting the best out of it I'm sure there will be no shortage of expert advice on this forum from fellow coolpix owners.

I see you're nearly on your 5,000th post :eek!: :t:

Charly.

Brian Stone said:
For your 5000th then Ken, which Coolpix? There are at least a couple of dozen. I'm guessing the 4500?
Correct, Brian!
Warehouse Express are selling them at 1/3 of the RRP and I got given some money, so it seemed like too good a chance to miss.
Are you using the same machine?
Ken

I used to use the 995 (forerunner of 4500) but that started playing up so I now use the P4. Not as good for macro as the 995/4500 but more versatile. Check out this glow-worm larva taken today.

Attachments

• glow-worm_larva_27mar07_640_20.jpg
    glow-worm_larva_27mar07_640_20.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 56
Very impressive, Brian.
It was the macro facility I mainly wanted as I've rarely been able to get micros IDed from my photos and I don't like 'retaining' more than necessary. Especially now that the Surrey micro atlas field work has gone into warp factor 5, it seemed a good time to try and increase the number of records.
Ken

Cornwall

Just back from Cornwall... not really mothing but the place we stayed seemed to attract a few micros.
Endrosis sarcitrella is the only one I'm confident of.
Any help on the three below appreciated:
a) about 10mm long
b) about 10mm long (is this postvittana?)
c) about 12mm long (there were three of these)

There were quite a few peacock butterflies and the odd small tortoiseshell and holly blue out. Saw a comma on the way back in Devon.
The birding was fairly quiet but added spotted sand, chough and greylag to my Cornish list.
Ken

Attachments

• cornwall 002 (2).jpg
    cornwall 002 (2).jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 39
  • cornwall 025.jpg
    cornwall 025.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 44
  • cornwall 029 (2).jpg
    cornwall 029 (2).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 47
  • cornwall 063 (2).jpg
    cornwall 063 (2).jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
7th April

Poor catch despite the sunny day....
small quakers, common quakers,
early grey, clouded drab,
early tooth-striped (new for year).
Ken

Attachments

• early tooth-striped 1b.jpg
    early tooth-striped 1b.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back