• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surreybirder's lep blog (5 Viewers)

Surreybirder said:
Yes, Charly, very observant of you (or perhaps not, as my earlier efforts attracted rather a lot of caustic comments ;) ). I decided to go for a Nikon Coolpix as everyone says how good they are. I'm still trying to get the hang of the umpteen controls. It produces good results despite my best efforts but I've got a lot to learn. So far I've not managed to get any decent photos without using flash, which of course tends to burn out the image. (The camera is available from Warehouse Express at about 1/3 of its original RRP.)
Ken

Good morning Ken

Happy Easter! Fine sunny day here in Budapest, with the front garden Cherry tree in full flower ("Wearing white for Eastertide" as A E Houseman had it). I thought you must have been away. Nice to see the Chough in Cornwall - always an interesting bird. Making something of a comeback, too, I understand.
Interested in your new camera and what you said here about the flash. I try to take all my photos using a small table-top tripod, as I find that even when you can rest elbows and wrists somewhere the camera-shake on a non-flash photo often ruins the pictures (I use a Fuji Finepix S7000, bu the way - bought because of the macro excellence, and large LCD display - but it's a good versatile camera all round, too). One of the things with flash seems to be not so much that it burns out the pictures (unless I'm photographing into a glass container and getting reflections) but rather that it darkens some features of the the moth and lightens others, resulting in a unhelpfully coloured specimen!! I try to do all my photos using natural light from the large window over my desk, and with the 500 watts of chandelier light and desk lamp switched on to add light from the other sides. But I can't help feeling I need to set up some special kind of lights on the desk to help. Flash also seems to give better results when photographing from the side at a 45degree angle, rather than directly down.

Best

David

Hi, David,
I hope you had a good Easter.
Thanks for your thoughts on flash.
I don't have a small tripod at the moment. I tried attaching my camera to my slik (birding) tripod but it was very clumsy to work with.
I believe that some 4500 owners have a light (cool-light?) that screws in around the lens and gives a more natural light than a flash - but I've never seen this device.
It looks as if a tripod will have to be my next acquisition.
It has been almost like summer here the last couple of days, but the temp drops smartly at dusk and there's little cloud cover so my catches have been poor.
Ken

PS, in case you are wondering, my daughter designed my avatar. Her first effort was much better but the file was too large to be allowed!

Surreybirder said:
Hi, David,
I hope you had a good Easter.
Thanks for your thoughts on flash.
I don't have a small tripod at the moment. I tried attaching my camera to my slik (birding) tripod but it was very clumsy to work with.
I believe that some 4500 owners have a light (cool-light?) that screws in around the lens and gives a more natural light than a flash - but I've never seen this device.
It looks as if a tripod will have to be my next acquisition.
It has been almost like summer here the last couple of days, but the temp drops smartly at dusk and there's little cloud cover so my catches have been poor.
Ken

PS, in case you are wondering, my daughter designed my avatar. Her first effort was much better but the file was too large to be allowed!

Yes, Easter was good here - lots of nice birds around - Black Redstarts chasing each other round the garden, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Jay, G S Woodpecker daily, Hoodie, Nuthatch, 2 prs of Greenfinches, Chaffinch and endless Blackbirds fussing and fighting, and Great Tits feeding all over the flowers on the Norwegian Maple and the Cherry. A very active time. As I said elsewhere, the moths have perked up. I was pleased with the Clothes Moth (other thread), as I always dread identifying lbjs like that!! But it was relatively easy for once. Last night I caught another Satellite, and another small Noctuid, which I've just photographed with difficulty (very flighty), but haven't put onto the laptop yet to identify.
I must admit, I'd been going to comment on the new lurid green "punk" logo you're now wearing, having (being an old fogey, I suppose!!) preferred the Merveille du Jour.... but nice to have a clever daughter who can do things like that!! As mine's only 5 it'll be a while before she manages that!!

Best

David

black52bird said:
but nice to have a clever daughter who can do things like that!! As mine's only 5 it'll be a while before she manages that!!

Best

David
give her another couple of years! Mine is 14; her generation are so confident with computers that I'm way behind.
Ken

Surreybirder said:
give her another couple of years! Mine is 14; her generation are so confident with computers that I'm way behind.
Ken
Well actually, Ken, she can already write everybody's name correctly using the PC!! Frightening!!
The Noctuid was the first Pale Mottled Willow of the year, by the way, so the 2007 list is creeping up!! Pretty windy here now, though, so I'm not too optimistic about this evening....we'll see.
Best
David

10th April

A few new sp. for the year:
lunar marbled brown
early thorn
purple thorn
and a 6mm-long micro (I think it's a moth) - help appreciated!
Ken

Attachments

• lunar marbled brown.jpg
    lunar marbled brown.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 50
  • early thorn.jpg
    early thorn.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 51
  • purple thorn 1a.jpg
    purple thorn 1a.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 49
  • micro 1a.jpg
    micro 1a.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 51
  • micro 1b.jpg
    micro 1b.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 57
Surreybirder said:
A few new sp. for the year:
lunar marbled brown
early thorn
purple thorn
and a 6mm-long micro (I think it's a moth) - help appreciated!
Ken

Some nice new species for you this year, Ken. I'm sorry I'm hopeless with micros so can't help you there, still struggling on with macros! I've been away for the Easter hols and looking forward to trapping some new moths (for me) now I'm back.

Nerine

Nerine said:
Some nice new species for you this year, Ken. I'm sorry I'm hopeless with micros so can't help you there, still struggling on with macros! I've been away for the Easter hols and looking forward to trapping some new moths (for me) now I'm back.

Nerine
Good luck with the new mothing season, Nerine.
I must take the time one day to study the micros in more detail. It's hard to get to grips with them when there are so many! I've got as far as finding out that my tiny one above is a Gelechiid - I think it bears some resemblance to Metzneria metzneriella but I'll have to see whether Mike, Harri et al have any ideas.
Ken

Last edited:
11April

I had the trap on all night but chose the wrong night - the sky was clear and the temp fell quite low. I had just a few Orthosia sp. and 1 lunar marbled brown, an anonymous pug and a 7 mm long micro. Anyone recognise it?
Ken

Attachments

• 7mm micro.JPG
    7mm micro.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 61
  • poss brindled pug.jpg
    poss brindled pug.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 55
Surreybirder said:
a 7 mm long micro. Anyone recognise it?
Ken

Hi Ken,

Looks like an Epinotia immundana. I had one a couple of nights ago (see grotty photo). Last night was pretty mild here at 9.6C though there weren't many micros around(the previous 2 nights were 10.6C and 11.1C). Just an Ypsolopha ustella, a Twenty Plume Moth and a host of Eriocrania subpurpurellas plus a possible E. cicatricella among them that is about to be gen detted. 21 macro species including the first Peppered Moth and Waved Umber of the year.

There's been a few nice early ones around lately including Scarce Prominent, Iron Prominent and Orange Footman.

All the best

Pete H

Attachments

• Epinotia immundana 070410 1766t.jpg
    Epinotia immundana 070410 1766t.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 45
Hi, Pete
That looks pretty good to me! I seem to get very few micros (and not just compared to you). I think my trap 'leaks' them.
Are you going to the Bookham Common event? 'Fraid weekends aren't easy for me.
Cheers,
Ken

12 April, 07

Much more productive tonight with
pebble prominent (new for year)
waved umber (nfy)
brimstone (nfy)
plus various ones I've already had.
Another micro I don't know...
Ken

Attachments

• DSCN0117 (2).JPG
    DSCN0117 (2).JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 49
  • pebble prominent.jpg
    pebble prominent.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 38
  • waved umber 1a.jpg
    waved umber 1a.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 33
Surreybirder said:
Much more productive tonight with
pebble prominent (new for year)
waved umber (nfy)
brimstone (nfy)
plus various ones I've already had.
Another micro I don't know...
Ken

Hi Ken,

Good to see you're getting some action. Your micro looks like Eriocrania subpurpurella to me. There's loads of them about at the moment. I'm not doing Bookham Common on Sunday due to our 4th grandchild arriving last Tuesday. Priorities you know!

All the best

Pete H

13 April - a few micros

No new macros last night, but first early grey for quite a while.
I had three micros, which I'm struggling with - as usual ;)
I think the diamond-patterned one must be another E immundana.
The plume is presumably one of the common ones.
The one doing press-ups looks something like 287 Caloptilia robustella, a miner of oak and beech leaves.
Ken

Attachments

• 6mm micro.jpg
    6mm micro.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 36
  • plume.jpg
    plume.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 39
  • poss E immundana (3).JPG
    poss E immundana (3).JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
The plume appears to be Emmelina monodactyla as the spikes on the hind legs appear to be of unequal length.
robustella apparently needs dissection to be certain.
Ken

Attachments

• prob Emmelina monodactyla.jpg
    prob Emmelina monodactyla.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 41
Surreybirder said:
The plume appears to be Emmelina monodactyla as the spikes on the hind legs appear to be of unequal length.
robustella apparently needs dissection to be certain.
Ken

Yes, Ken, it does look like Emmelina monodactyla . I had one in my moth trap this morning and am always seeing them in the garden. I didn't know about the id thing about spikes on the hind legs. I'll post a pic of mine which I do believe to be E. monodactyla.

Nerine

Attachments

• E monondactyla 13 Apr.jpg
    E monondactyla 13 Apr.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 31
Nerine said:
Yes, Ken, it does look like Emmelina monodactyla . I had one in my moth trap this morning and am always seeing them in the garden. I didn't know about the id thing about spikes on the hind legs. I'll post a pic of mine which I do believe to be E. monodactyla.

Nerine
Hi, Nerine, I sent my photo to my CR and he said that the unequal spikes on the hind tibia was diagnostic - but it's not always easy to see in a photo!
The trap is looking pretty busy tonight - and the ***** bat is flying around it.
Ken

14 April

Quite a few moth around last night, including March moth, lunar marbled brown, early tooth-stripe, various Orthosias.
New for year were:
angle shades (unless you count larvae)
iron prominent
Epiphyas postvittana
Also, a tiny micro (c6mm long, which looks similar to one I had a week ago)
Eriocrania subpurpurella (different markings from last one)
Epinotia immundana
I also found a larva in some greater stitchwort, which had spun the heads of the flowers together. I've no idea what it is but I'm trying to rear it.
Ken

Attachments

• angle shades (cropped) .jpg
    angle shades (cropped) .jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 32
  • tiny micro.jpg
    tiny micro.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 34
  • iron prominent (small).jpg
    iron prominent (small).jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 32
  • stitchwort larva(2).JPG
    stitchwort larva(2).JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Eriocrania subpurpurella.jpg
    Eriocrania subpurpurella.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 44
15 April

The season has really got going now... I ran my actinic trap last night hoping to get a few micros and possibly sloe carpet. Didn't get any of those but had a couple of firsts for year:
muslin moth
flame shoulder
coxcomb prominent

Tonight looks like being the last really mild night for a while.
Ken

Attachments

• coxcomb prominent.jpg
    coxcomb prominent.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 30
  • flame shoulder.jpg
    flame shoulder.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 54
  • lunar marbled brown.jpg
    lunar marbled brown.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 32
  • muslin moth.jpg
    muslin moth.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 47
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back