• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swallow or swift? Philadelphia, PA, USA (1 Viewer)

Hi! Here in Philadelphia (Manayunk section) there is a canal and towpath (Manayunk Canal) with some small bridges over the canal. Underneath there are nests that look like they are made from mud, and perching on them are small birds, who also flit and fly over the water, catching insects on the wing. From the internet and bird books, I can safely say they look A LOT like Cave Swallows. However, some of the internet sites say that Cave Swallows are only seen in the south of the country, not up here. Walking home tonight, at dusk, I saw dozens of these flitting, dipping in flight birds. What are they? They are dark on the head, back and wings, and very light colored on the bottom half of their bodies. They seem to have some coppery orange on them, too (under the chin).

Any id help gratefully received!

Michele

Michele,

My guess is they are Cliff Swallows, which I call underpass swallows, because they always seem to be around underpasses. And they do make their nests from mud.

How is Manayunk these days. I lived in Philadelphia for 27 years (Mt. Airy and Wyndmoor) before coming out to South Dakota in 2000. In fact my wife is there now, visiting. Great city.

Veagle

Hi Al Kat,

I think I would have noticed that brilliant blue of the top of the barn swallow. I think the top of the birds I saw were more dark grey/black. Any other ideas? Many thanks

I probably should have asked. If their tailes were forked, then they were indeed Barn Swallows. Cliff Swallows have a little white bar over their eyes, and their tails are not forked. One or the other.

Veagle

Michele,

My guess is they are Cliff Swallows, which I call underpass swallows, because they always seem to be around underpasses. And they do make their nests from mud.

How is Manayunk these days. I lived in Philadelphia for 27 years (Mt. Airy and Wyndmoor) before coming out to South Dakota in 2000. In fact my wife is there now, visiting. Great city.

Veagle

Veagle,
I think the characters I saw very well could be Cliff Swallows - thanks! Manyunk is doing well - we only moved here a year ago (from England) and are enjoying it so far!

Thanks
Michele

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back