• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swamphens, Storms, and Skeeters: Birding South Florida in June (1 Viewer)

A terrific report Mysticete. Florida is somewhere I've long wanted to visit.

Cheers
Mike
As a Florida resident, it feels weird to say this, Florida's best appeal is not the birding variety (you'd probably get most of the species in the state elsewhere in the US or Caribbean with a much easier time) but how close the birds get to you. Of course, the lack of mammals makes it lose face compared to other parts of the US.

Florida is probably the best place to try for bird photography in the US, you could go to any city or national park between September and May and you will get up close pictures of potentially dozens of songbirds, wading birds and shorebirds are dime a dozen with really close views that I've guided photographers who were complaining because they didn't have lenses small enough to handle the birds foraging next to their feet. Plus raptors and woodpeckers are plenty common and make sure you leave with plenty of shots of the sought-after families.

To make a long comment short, come to Florida for the close up views or photo sessions of the birds, the species variety is second compared to places like Texas, Arizona or California.

Some great stuff there Luis - I see where you're coming from with approachability!

Cheers
Mike
Thanks, overall, great closeups and plenty of time with most targets!

And most the shots are of birds in natural habitats since feeder setups are uncommon in the state outside of a few nature centers and some homes.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back