• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 7x30 B SLC Mark I produced in the year 2000 ? (1 Viewer)

Nice vid. On a lighter note, "chromatic abrasion" at 1:40 sounds pretty serious. :eek:
Lol, thats funny I remember that. Didn't he say it a few times? I may have posted a comment on that youtube vid saying I enjoyed the vid and a few others on his channel. I may have mentione in jest about the abrasion thing.

Hi Sky2goflying (post #20),

I thought that was likely to be the case, since the 7x30 was discontinued before it was offered in the Mk IV configuration
i.e. with Swarobright dielectric prism coating.
See posts #9 and 11 at: Slc 8x30

However, as indicated in the last part of post #12, there's long been the option to update a 7x30 by converting it to an 8x30 Mk IV.

John

Last edited:
Hi Sky2goflying (post #20),

I thought that was likely to be the case, since the 7x30 was discontinued before it was offered in the Mk IV configuration
i.e. with Swarobright dielectric prism coating.
See posts #9 and 11 at: Slc 8x30

However, as indicated in the last part of post #12, there's long been the option to update a 7x30 by converting it to an 8x30 Mk IV.

John
John, I thought the 7x30's could be updated to a 7x30 Mark IV. I read so many reviews about the 7x30 that I needed to have one. So I fou d one on ebay and sent it to SONA right away. Well I still think I will enjoy the 8x30,s

Sky2goflying

I got a brand new 7x30 SLC in December 1997. It had twist up eyecups. They look like the guy's in the video. I couldn't last more than a couple of minutes of that video however.

Hi, I was reading this link about Swarovski 7x30 SCL binoculars. If means anything , I have a pair with a serial #DA9012008 . They are dark green with black inserts at the hinge. Possibly made in the year 2020. for what it's worth. (super nice to use) I also have a lot of other brands

Hi, I was reading this link about Swarovski 7x30 SCL binoculars. If means anything , I have a pair with a serial #DA9012008 . They are dark green with black inserts at the hinge. Possibly made in the year 2020. for what it's worth. (super nice to use) I also have a lot of other brands

Just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome from those of us at BirdForum!

I love my Swaroski's 7x30 B SLC they are amazing, I have other binoculars but these are my favorites, they are light, sharp and provide crisp views without braking the bank. Some users don't like the focusing wheel but it is easy to get accustomed to after a while.
Welcome to bird forum, I have really enjoyed reading all of the information available. When I first came I thought I new a lot about binoculars, God was I wrong. Here you can find thousand of years of combined knowledge and hard core experience.

Hi Hillclocks (post #29),

Swarovski Optik has been in operation since 1949, and unsurprisingly they’ve used a variety of patterns of serial numbering
in nearly three quarters of a century *

Initially they only used digits (0 to 9) in a variety of combinations (including different starting digits, and different lengths of numbers),
but as models and product lines increased the numbering increasingly overlapped.

Staring in 1985 they introduced a variety of patterns of alpha-numeric numbering (both letters and digits) on some models,
so that each number was unique.
Then in 1991 they standardised on a number of patterns (with different starting letters) across all the production.
And in September 2020 the patterns were universally changed to the current versions.

For a detailed overview of the types and composition of the A-N patterns used on the various commercial production from 1985 to 2020,
see the first two tables at: Swarovski's Alpha-Numeric Numbering Explained

And for the numbering from September 2020 on, see post #18 at: Swarovski serialnumbers changed

- - - -
The number DA9012008, indicates a unit refurbished by SONA (Swarovski Optik North America) in 2020:
• the pattern AA+7, was in use from August 1991 to September 2020, and was applied when the part with the original number was replaced, and;
• the year is determined by adding 1930 to the first two digits.

John

* So will there be any new introductions, limited editions or special offers to mark the 75th Anniversary next year? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sky2goflying,
Your question whether Swarovski 7x30B binos were made in 2020. Mine have a serial # of, DA9012008. Add 90 to 1930 , this puts these binos to the last year that 7x30B were made, early 2020. Might this be right?

John A Roberts,
Thanks for that info. This pair looks and feels like new. Between Zeiss 8x30BA Classics, Leica 8x32 Trinovids and my Swarovski 7x30B binoculars it difficult to come with an absolute favorite, if it is raining leave the Zeiss at home.

In terms of original production 7x30 SLC's, the last two that I’ve observed are:
#D7045 67829 (the 45 week of 2000), and;
#D7118 76758 (the 18th week of 2001).

They are numbered in the same sequence as the SLC 8x30’s, that were made until early 2011 (#D8104 09003 being the last that I’ve seen).
The original CL 8x30 and 10x30 were then introduced in early 2011.

The 7x30 SLC was still in a SONA price listing effective from Jan 2001 (from Ed, see post #2 at: SLC 7x30b Mark 4 )
But not in the 2005 catalogue (see post #49 at: The Habicht 10x40 ...

SLC 7x30?.jpg

John

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back