• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terminology (1 Viewer)

Dromo

I'm translating from French into English a paper on the re-introduction of a species which contains, unsurprisingly, a number of technical terms. Usually, I can understand what they mean but sometimes do not know if there is an equivalent technical term in English. One example is the word 'philopatrie' - which means the tendency for a bird to stay where it is born rather than go elsewhere (literally: homeland-loving).

Can anyone help with these terms or know of an online technical glossary which might provide the answers?

I'm translating from French into English a paper on the re-introduction of a species which contains, unsurprisingly, a number of technical terms. Usually, I can understand what they mean but sometimes do not know if there is an equivalent technical term in English. One example is the word 'philopatrie' - which means the tendency for a bird to stay where it is born rather than go elsewhere (literally: homeland-loving).

Can anyone help with these terms or know of an online technical glossary which might provide the answers?

Well, on the specific term you mention, 'philopatry' is a perfectly good English word.

I don't know of any sites, but I am sure that the people here would be delighted to help.

More terms

Thanks for that. I have three more words/expressions:

'jeunes à l'envol' : I believe this means juveniles who survive long enough actually to fly. Is there an equivalent English term?

'mis au taquet': this has something to do with the release of birds raised in captivity - literally it means 'put to the peg' but I have no idea what it could mean in this context.

'lignée' and 'diversity allélique'. 'Blood line' and 'allelic/genetic diversity'?

Thanks for that. I have three more words/expressions:

'jeunes à l'envol' : I believe this means juveniles who survive long enough actually to fly. Is there an equivalent English term?

'mis au taquet': this has something to do with the release of birds raised in captivity - literally it means 'put to the peg' but I have no idea what it could mean in this context.

'lignée' and 'diversity allélique'. 'Blood line' and 'allelic/genetic diversity'?

As has been said, the first sounds like 'fledgling' to me, too.

I'm not sure if there is an actual technical word/phrase for that in English: it would be described, I think (if I understand correctly), as 'releasing into the wild' or something like it.

'Blood line' would be understood, certainly and I would say that 'genetic diversity' would be the usual way of putting it in English.

Perhaps an expert can improve on my answers.

Thanks for the responses. David FG: nice hoopoe. We get them occasionally in our garden but this year only heard them poop-poop-pooping in the morning.

Well, on the specific term you mention, 'philopatry' is a perfectly good English word.

I don't know of any sites, but I am sure that the people here would be delighted to help.

I used to know a Phil O'Patrick and he moved around a lot! ;)

James

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back