• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss SF 10x42 dissection (1 Viewer)

Is that sand on that rock? Yikes! :D I never let "my precious" touch down on rocks or sand. I like these outdoorsy photos but I cringe at the ones on the ground. In astronomy it's considered a disaster if your optics touch the ground! :oops:

I missed the "poor" rating on the eyecups, that hair-scrunchy sounds good, I just tweaked my o-ring setup when I cleaned the eye lenses this weekend. I think I posted a link to the perfect o-ring somewhere on here, from McMaster-Carr. It's a funny quirk to the SF's, but at least solvable with o-rings...easier to fix than the dreaded thumb undercuts (y)

Scott98

Even if I was on some stones near the sea, there was not much sand on those rocks. After the photo session, the armor was cleaned well and with great care because sand is abrasive!
SF.JPG

Last edited:
I have had it for more than two years and the lenses of the objectives or the eyepieces are like new, without the slightest trace of micro scratches or spots on the coating. This is thanks to the LotuTec system. Very easy to maintain!
It's like under his black armor is a "machine" has almost living eye(pieces). :love:
Zeiss SF 10x42.JPG

Last edited:
Great write-up. I bought a pair last week and have been very happy with them optically. However, it is a shame that Zeiss have done nothing since this product was launched to address the key weakness - the eyecups - which are still really poor. I got in touch with Zeiss and they quickly passed me to their UK repair contractor. They responded rapidly - well done - and sent me a new pair of eyecups. They were identical to the others and equally poor. I am surprised that Zeiss, who clearly have a lot of input into Birdforum, are not commenting on this subject and what they plan to do about it. In the meantime, thanks for the tip about hair elastics, I will go and buy some. Cheers, Jono

These are my 10x32 SF and I’ve wrapped plumbers PTFE tape around the eyecup threads. I then screw them down to just above the bottom position which suits me as a glasses wearer. Note the traditional Zeiss rainguard which is much better than the grippy supplied one.

Attachments

• IMG_8822.jpeg
    IMG_8822.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8821.jpeg
    IMG_8821.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
My less-technical and photographed write-up is here: Zeiss Victory SF 10x42 - initial thoughts
ATB Jono
It is very peculiar that Zeiss have cocked-up their top level bins in this way.

pretty funny! I couldn't have said it better myself. Having my own love/hate relationship with the 8x42 SF and the eyecups.

I wonder if someday Zeiss will tire of seeing all these photos of people sticking tape and hair scrunchies and rubber rings on their $3000 new binoculars? Coming up on the 10nth anniversary of these soon......can't they just copy Nikon EDG? that's been working out well for Swarovski :):)

These are my 10x32 SF and I’ve wrapped plumbers PTFE tape around the eyecup threads. I then screw them down to just above the bottom position which suits me as a glasses wearer. Note the traditional Zeiss rainguard which is much better than the grippy supplied one.
Had to do the same with mine, although I eventually sold it and now have a 10x40 SFL that I am very happy with

Hi dorubird,

Great report I just see...! Like very much the SF glare resistance you describe! I sold my HT 10x42 because its almos unusable glare with the sun even not near the front. Terrible!! My previous Fl 10x42 was better on this. I end with, another...,Habicht W GA 10x40 because its great glare, that "milky veil" efect, control. I never had in my hands a SF 10x42...I will...!
The other 10x42 I tested with detail on this was the Leica Noctivid. Impressive!!
I am talking between truly TOP binoculars, of course!

Thank you!

PHA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back