• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Easy View (1 Viewer)

I used a pair of Fujinon 7x50 FMT-SX for about 6 years. Still have seven 7x50 Porros including my personal favorite: the Nikon Prostar. I don't use any of them for birding in daylight, particularly not the IF models.
You can bird with them at distances beyond 15 feet, but you are correct because of a poor close focus they are not made for close in birding. For coastal and birds of prey at distances they work quite well, especially in lowlight.

Rather than trying to determine DOF by doing something both hard and subjective like detecting the exact distance at which focus is no longer acceptable...
I too find this hard to do... which is why I wonder why some people sound so convinced that one bin of a particular spec has more DoF than another in the first place. And whether it's an optical phenomenon at all, or has more to do with different focuser speeds.

I too find this hard to do... which is why I wonder why some people sound so convinced that one bin of a particular spec has more DoF than another in the first place. And whether it's an optical phenomenon at all, or has more to do with different focuser speeds.
You can see DOF without having to focus, though. When I compare my Fujinon FMT-SX 7x50 with my Habicht 7x42 at the same distance, the Fujinon's have more DOF.

No they don't. Read elkcub's post # 89 and the accompanying attachment.
That is not what my eyes see. There are a lot of reasons why one binocular of the same magnification might seem to have more DOF than another. You are oversimplifying it. Here is a good thread from Cloudy Night's on the subject.

Last edited:
So now it's "might seem to have more DOF" instead of "have more DOF".
You are trying to pick words apart to defend your point. Read the thread on why the Fujinon FMT-SX 7x50 has such a fantastic DOF, and it will help you understand what I am talking about.

You are trying to pick words apart to defend your point. Read the thread on why the Fujinon FMT-SX 7x50 has such a fantastic DOF, and it will help you understand what I am talking about.

Re-read posts #7 and 8 in your link. They may help you understand what you're talking about.

I wonder why we still argue about this so much. The 'objective' facts about binoculars DoF are worthless because binoculars without an observer serve no function. It's all the aberrations in binocular and the observers' eyes that matter. The only DoF that matters is the one we see when we look through the bins, not equations on paper. In this case, subjective is the only objective.

I wonder why we still argue about this so much.
I think that'a because the same old misconceptions are brought up over and over, often by people who try to transfer the concepts of DOF in camera lenses to telescopes. In the telescope/eye system it's the eye that acts like a camera lens while the telescope's role is limited simply to applying magnification that scales up the size of everything projected onto the retina, including the diameter of the blur circle.

Last edited:
I wonder why we still argue about this so much. The 'objective' facts about binoculars DoF are worthless because binoculars without an observer serve no function. It's all the aberrations in binocular and the observers' eyes that matter. The only DoF that matters is the one we see when we look through the bins, not equations on paper. In this case, subjective is the only objective.
That is exactly what I am trying to say. Binoculars are not all about optical equations, they are more about what you actually see. I am amazed that some people try to tell me I can't be seeing what I am seeing because it doesn't fit the equation. People can see DOF different in different binoculars because our brains and eyes are all different. Some people seem to be almost block headed about that fact.

You can bird with them at distances beyond 15 feet, but you are correct because of a poor close focus they are not made for close in birding. For coastal and birds of prey at distances they work quite well, especially in lowlight.

So tell us how many days birding by the coast, and for raptors, you've logged with your 7x50 FMT in say the last 12 months - where were you and what species did you see?

So tell us how many days birding by the coast, and for raptors, you've logged with your 7x50 FMT in say the last 12 months - where were you and what species did you see?
I am not by the coast, but I use it for shore birds around the lakes and rivers in here in Colorado. Mostly Ducks, Geese, Swans, Herons and some Coots. Also, I use them for watching Bald Eagles which we have many, even along the Poudre River there are many nesting eagles. Usually all these birds are at distance, so the Fujinon FMT-SX 7x50 works fine.

I had the FMT-SX 7x50 for a while. I found it for a good price and had always been interested in it (given its cult status), but mainly for astronomy. I have to say that I had wonderful backyard astronomy sessions with the FMT, comfortably seated on a reclining chair. Stars were really pinpoint, and the FOV did not seem constricted at all. Really nice.
However, I once took it outside for some birding during day hours, distant birds. Simply not for me. The thing is not heavy: it's beyond heavy, but that's not the worst part, it's humongous!! I mean, it's OK for a casual look out of the window (or the way I imagine someone on a ship deck, checking some distant objects, signs, etc.), but for birding I found it very limited. Maybe if you are doing stationary birding somewhere (like a hide) where you can rest your elbows on a table or the like. Frankly, I don't see myself holding them upwards to follow the fly of some peregrines or the endless circles of griffon vultures or lammergeier. That was my experience: outstanding for astronomy, terrible for daytime birdwatching.

I had the FMT-SX 7x50 for a while. I found it for a good price and had always been interested in it (given its cult status), but mainly for astronomy. I have to say that I had wonderful backyard astronomy sessions with the FMT, comfortably seated on a reclining chair. Stars were really pinpoint, and the FOV did not seem constricted at all. Really nice.
However, I once took it outside for some birding during day hours, distant birds. Simply not for me. The thing is not heavy: it's beyond heavy, but that's not the worst part, it's humongous!! I mean, it's OK for a casual look out of the window (or the way I imagine someone on a ship deck, checking some distant objects, signs, etc.), but for birding I found it very limited. Maybe if you are doing stationary birding somewhere (like a hide) where you can rest your elbows on a table or the like. Frankly, I don't see myself holding them upwards to follow the fly of some peregrines or the endless circles of griffon vultures or lammergeier. That was my experience: outstanding for astronomy, terrible for daytime birdwatching.
I have the 10X70, so everything you say is doubled.

It is great for owls, in what for humans is pretty dark.

In the bright skies of the Great Northeastern Megalopolis, the contrast could be better.

It is great for owls, in what for humans is pretty dark.

That's why I said "daytime birding". ;)
Being «big eyes» binos, the 7x50 and (even more) the 10x70 can obviously show a lot in the dark... I just hope that your owls are not far, because carrying a 1,9 + kg behemoth sounds pretty daunting to say the least.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back