• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The 'joys' of online ordering (10x40 SFLs) (1 Viewer)

mfunnell

Registered Confuser
To take advantage of the post-Christmas sales, I ordered myself some Zeiss 10x40 SFLs at a good price. Yes, self-indulgent (it's not like I have a shortage of binoculars ;)) but something I was looking forward to. I ordered them last week, they were (supposedly) delivered last Friday - and I arrived home on Saturday. Mission accomplished! (Or so I thought :().

When I opened the package, I found Conquest HD 8x42s inside. :oops:

Not what I'd ordered (and paid for!), by any stretch!!!

To be fair to the company I'd ordered them through, they'd had them shipped directly from the Australian Zeiss wholesaler to cut down on delivery time - so it was the wholesaler's stuff-up. And the online merchant I'd ordered through was responsive and has promised to fix things for me no matter what. The wholesaler contacted me on Monday and arranged to send me a return mailing label, so I'm not out of pocket for that (I sent them back this morning). But I still don't have my SFLs - and as yet I've no idea when I might get them. Which is rather taking the gloss off the indulgence, I have to say.

...Mike

P.S. I did take the opportunity to have a quick look through the Conquests. They seem nice-enough bins. While I didn't do anything too exhaustive, the views seem roughly equivalent to those I get through my 8x42 Torics (which is what I expected) and not as good as, say, my 8x32 FLs (I did do a swift side-by-side comparison of those three in clear and bright conditions, before cycling off to the post office).

I'm happy to report that my prodigal binoculars have finally been received: I have my 10x40 SFLs and have been able to look through them and confirm they're pretty much what I expected and wanted. Very nice binoculars. I'll have to use them more to pick up on some of the subtleties, but I am happy with them and am glad I bought them, despite their awkward process of arrival.

...Mike

P.S. I should thank Fabian at Clast (the retailer I bought them through) and Stacy at Outdoor Sporting Agencies (the Zeiss wholesaler here in Oz) for their professional and successful help in sorting this out for me.

Happened to me with my pair of Pentax SP WP's. I was shipped the non WP version which is not what I had ordered. Granted the Pentax system of naming their products is really confusing. Half the time I dont even get it right. I sent them back without any issues other than more time waiting for the correct pair to ship and get delivered.

I also ordered an Apple Watch (Wifi) last year, drove to the store, did the curbside pickup, drove home, opened it up and then realized they gave me the more expensive Wifi+GPS version instead. So I drove back, had to go in, explain the mix up, do the exchange, blah blah blah.

So I'm one of those that have received both a lesser and a higher value item on two separate occasions. It's always a risk when shopping online.

Once I ordered a pair of Tasco Essential Porro Prism 10x50 binoculars from Amazon.com, and I got a pair of Swarovski NL 8x32 roof prisms. It took me a long time to decide, but I finally just kept them. It was a hard decision because I REALLY wanted those Tasco's. :ROFLMAO:

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back