• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Three month birding Odyssey Asia and Australia (1 Viewer)

Fairy wrens are easier to see down south I reckon. Good for you in getting them at last! And also for the Bowerbird; I know how much you wanted to see them.

Where to now?

Yeah, I was very pleased. Had more excellent views today and I managed to get a couple of photos that I might be able to tart up a bit in Photoshop when I get home in a few weeks time.
I'm staying round the Sydney area (apart from a couple of side trips, possibly one to Coonabarabran for an astronomy event, and another to Wollongong for the pelagic next Saturday) until next Tuesday when I leave Australia and go to Thailand.

Had another excellent day's birding, with Rob Hynson again; we went to the Scheyville (pronounced 'Skyville') area and I was able to add a lot more stuff to my list bringing it up to something in the 180s for lifers seen since April 21st.

I just want to say - many, many thanks Rob and I'll see you on the pelagic Saturday :t:

Glad you enjoyed Michlemas Cay, Fay. It reminded me of when I was there! The snorkelling is fantastic isn't it? And as for the birds Wow!

The weather is still cold and chilly here in England although I have just returned from the Western Sahara where it was 115 degrees! Lovely birds there too.

Keep up the good work
Sue

Thanks Sue. It's one of my favourite days this trip, I loved the fish and corals as much as the birds, I think.

The last two days I've spent looking round the city. I am not a fan of cities per se, but I really like Sydney - it has an exciting 'feel' about it that I like. Yesterday I got the train to the Central station and then walked back to King's Cross/Wolloomooloo where I'm based. It took all afternoon, but that was also because I was doing a fair bit of window shopping.
Today I walked down to Mrs Macquarie's Point to take pics of the Opera House and Harbour Bridge (got to do the touristy stuff of course!) and then walked to the Opera House itself - you can go inside, there's a cafe (closed!) and a gift shop (pricey!) - and walk all round the outside. I ended up taking a lot of pix, because I just love the shapes of the building.
I walked back to King's Cross via the Botanic Gardens where there are loads of flying foxes (I don't know the species, I don't think they are Spectacled Flying Foxes like the ones in Cairns) up in the trees. Despite the daylight they were quite active, with some flying between trees and also squabbling. I have heard that they are threatened with eviction from the Botanic Gardens due to the fact they are inadvertently damaging the plants, certainly the trees they were in look a bit sick.
Off for a quick 24 hour dash to Coonabarabran tomorrow to meet some friends from the US before returning on Thursday then heading to Wollongong for the pelagic at the weekend.

The Flying Foxes in Sydney are Grey-headed Flying Foxes I think. They're a more cold tolerant species. They're also an endangered species.

The business about them damaging the trees is nonsense I'm afraid. They used the same false argument to get rid of the ones in the Melb'n BG because they are generally despised by most Aussies because of the noise and the smell. They assume that most tourists feel the same way.

Personally I love them and love to watch them flying out over the city in the evening from their city centre roost. I really hope they leave them alone...

The Flying Foxes in Sydney are Grey-headed Flying Foxes I think. They're a more cold tolerant species. They're also an endangered species.

The business about them damaging the trees is nonsense I'm afraid. They used the same false argument to get rid of the ones in the Melb'n BG because they are generally despised by most Aussies because of the noise and the smell. They assume that most tourists feel the same way.

Personally I love them and love to watch them flying out over the city in the evening from their city centre roost. I really hope they leave them alone...

Thanks for the info. I have some great photos of them. I hope that they don't get hurt or moved on because they are - yes, I know it's twee but I'm saying it anyway - very cute.

I think I am going to have to check if the pelagic from W/gong tomorrow is still happening. My weather curse has caught up with me and southern Australia is being flooded and blown around by 70mph winds. Bloody typical of my luck in Australia this time round. I think I have had about 7 sunny days in a month in this place so far. It's a dark, British-like, grey morning and I am feeling more than a tad hacked off and looking forward to getting out of Australia on Tuesday!

I did manage to add some new birds, including Emu, to my list during a quick trip to Coonabarabran and the Warrumbungles over the past couple of days, bringing the list up to 195, so it'd be doubly galling if the pelagic trip doesn't happen and I can't get to 200.

Last edited:
I phoned the SOSSA folks just now and the pelagic is definitely on. Which is good as, apart from anything else, I would have been at a bit of a loose end this weekend. I am hoping that the wild weather has brought albatrosses, etc, further in and we get some good views.
I am hoping that I can squeeze in a visit to an astronomy club in south-western Sydney on Monday before I leave Aus next week. As well as a birder, I am an amateur astronomer and so far any attempts at viewing the southern skies (much more spectacular than the northern hemisphere) have been frustrated by thick clouds. The only good views I got were from a service station somewhere in Queensland a few weeks back, on my way up to Cairns, when Sagittarius, Scorpius and the Cross were overhead and the Milky Way was very bright. Unfortunately I couldn't get my binoculars out because we only had a couple of minutes before the coach was due to leave.

You're going to hate me for saying this Fay but the weather up here is absolutely glorious.

Days of cloudless skies, soft breezes, maxs of 27-28 Degrees C and absolutely no humidity. Typical winter Cairns weather at last...

So sorry you didn't get to experience it. Good luck for tomorrow!

Are you planning on posting your full Aussie list up at any point? I wouldn't mind seeing what stuff you managed to get down south.:t:

The weather is f**king awful and frankly I've had enough of it. Apart from last w/end which was glorious, most of my time in NSW has coincided nicely with cyclone-like conditions which have battered the coast and the Wollongong pelagic did, after all, get knocked on the head this morning. We were having doubts about it as the seas were mountainous and I was wondering if we'd even make it out of the harbour, the way the waves were breaking in and also coming over the breakwater. In fact the boat captain was worried and considered the conditions life threatening so that was that; he genuinely thought that if we went side onto the waves, we'd definitely go over. I am happy in a way that he didn't decide to bat ahead and go for it,because it looked downright dangerous out there, but on the other hand I am pretty pissed off that I have been very unlucky with weather this trip - the Wollongong pelagic almost never gets cancelled so it's just my luck this is only the second or third time ever it's been scrubbed.
I console myself with the thought that I like living, hate getting wet and I had my camera gear with me and if that had gone to the bottom of the Tasman Sea it would put a slight downer on the rest of the trip and looking at the small, tatty old boat they use for these pelagics I wouldn't want to be on it in anything other than a flat calm.
There's a possibility it might be rescheduled for next Sunday, but I am flying to Thailand on Tuesday and I don't really want to give Qantas any more money just for a ticket change.

My only reason for the pelagic trip was to see an albatross or two. I may have dipped. Or did I...?

So, Wollongong was not a success, it has to be said. Not only was the sea trip cancelled this morning, I got soaked to the skin walking from the bus stop to the Wollongong Backpackers at Keiraleagh House as it hammered down, my bag with my stuff in it was wet through, I didn't have a change of jeans and when I got to the hostel the room they put me in had two unmade beds and rubbish on the table, floor and bin. So they moved me to another room, only to decide to clean that first one and make me move back there. I told them to forget it, I wasn't moving. Keiraleagh House itself is a 'period' house, as it is described in their own blurb. The fixtures and fittings are 'period' too - I don't think the place had been rewired or had new light switches (some looked downright lethal) since about 1939 by the look of it. It's also tatty, but otherwise not bad. Comfy beds, at least. However, would it kill these hostels to have bedside lights so people don't have to get out of bed to switch the light out and them fumble their way back in the dark??

All was not lost on the albatross front. We went to a couple of seawatching places between Wollongong and Sydney, first near Port Kembla at a little place called Five Islands and then a place just south of the city, Maroubra, where we got Black-browed Albatross (fittingly this was my 200th lifer of the trip), Cape Petrel, Australian Gannet, White-fronted Tern, Giant Petrel (we don't know whether Northern or Southern, though), Brown Falcon (this was at Five Islands) and Kelp Gull. So I was happy(ish) because I had at last seen an albatross species.

And the next person who says to me 'this is very quiet today' or 'you should have been here last week' gets shoved under a bus! So frustrating! I also got tired of hearing people waxing lyrical about how good pelagics are and that at least there'll be another one. Yeah, that's all very well for the locals, but two of us are hardly local even to the southern hemisphere, let alone a little corner of New South Wales. Tony - this does NOT apply to you! ;)

I think this post has been a long whinge. Sorry, but this and the weather were among the low points (and there have been one or two) of this trip. :-C

I hope Thailand is better...I know the southwest monsoon is on its way but I also know that it isn't wall-to-wall rain like it has been here. Plus I am going to peninsular Malaysia and that is supposed to be nice in the southwest monsoon.

Last edited:
If you're wondering why the weather's been so awful, I'm afraid that's because of the nature of Australia's weather. You get several El Nino years followed by a La Nina or two. Your visit coincided with the latter...

No consolation I know, but at least you got an albatross and the 200 lifers you wanted in Aus.

If you're wondering why the weather's been so awful, I'm afraid that's because of the nature of Australia's weather. You get several El Nino years followed by a La Nina or two. Your visit coincided with the latter...

No consolation I know, but at least you got an albatross and the 200 lifers you wanted in Aus.

I know about La Nina, it affected the whole worlds weather, including the UK over the past year or two - it was responsible for keeping the jet stream too far south and the UK getting two really horrible summers in 2007 and 2008 but I thought it had died down now. Obviously it hasn't. No less frustrating though. I'll wait until this little brat of a weather system is out of the way and I'll come back for another go at the pelagics year after next.

The birding has definitely been successful, despite the crap weather, so it's not a wasted trip by any means, in fact I have seen most (not all) of the species I wanted to see and photographed a lot of them too.

Now thinking about getting to Bangkok. I have promised myself a decent hotel and as I will have about 1800 Baht a day to live on I should be very comfortable.

Really sory to hear about the pelagic trip Fay. If you get a spare day in Sydney it might be worth getting the ferry to Watson's Bay or Manly for some seawatching, especially if the wind's still up. Might get a new seabird or two yet.

Really sory to hear about the pelagic trip Fay. If you get a spare day in Sydney it might be worth getting the ferry to Watson's Bay or Manly for some seawatching, especially if the wind's still up. Might get a new seabird or two yet.

That's what I am planning to do now, Larry. I have the rest of today and all of tomorrow, so I might do that or one of the Sydney whale-watching trips. The albatrosses were in fairly close to land yesterday so I got some good views of Black-browed and even some poor photos.

The pelagic's rescheduled for next Sunday, but I'm supposed to fly to Bangkok on Tuesday and I can't afford to stay in Australia much longer because I checked my bank account last night and it gave me a scare. Not as much money in it as I thought! :eek!:

I can't afford to stay in Australia much longer because I checked my bank account last night and it gave me a scare. Not as much money in it as I thought! :eek!:

Tell me about it! We've got the same probs in Fiji right now, and it's p*ssing down inspite of it being dry season too! And I can't even find some of the easier birds!

Shall we form a whingeing poms abroad club?

Tell me about it! We've got the same probs in Fiji right now, and it's p*ssing down inspite of it being dry season too! And I can't even find some of the easier birds!

Shall we form a whingeing poms abroad club?

Lol! Good idea. ;) Although I have been lucky with the birds, thanks mostly to Tony (Chowchilla) and Rob Hynson (also a BF member) helping me find the good stuff.

I did a Manly ferry trip this afternoon, which was very pleasant indeed. Birding wise it wasn't much cop, with just Silver Gulls, one Great Cormorant and a couple of Crested Terns diving for fish just outside the entrance to Manly Harbour but I got to see Sydney Harbour in all its glory with the sun (yes, it has come out of hiding!) shining on the Opera House (which has to be my favourite building in the world, I love it) and the Harbour Bridge. The MV Narrabeen was full to bursting with people also taking advantage of a sunny Sunday.

I then decided to book a whale-watching trip so I caught the ferry round from Circular Quay to Darling Harbour (via Luna Park and Balmain East. I don't know about anyone else, but I think that the huge grinning human face that forms the Luna Park entrance looks demented and more than a little sinister! There's one of these in Melbourne, at St Kilda, too) and went to the Captain Cook Cruises office.
The cruise leaves tomorrow afternoon from Circular Quay and lasts just under 4 hours. Hopefully I will see a whale or two but I'm not counting on it, these can be pretty erratic. I am also hoping for a closer view of an albatross, as these are seen from the Sydney whale watching boats, so I was told yesterday. Here's hoping. Even if I see no birds and no whales, it will be a pleasant afternoon out. The cruise company give a 50% refund if no whales are seen, but this only applies to the months of June-July, at other times you get a free cruise in 2009. Not much good though if you're leaving the country and not coming back during 2009, but if we see no whales tomorrow I am going to ask for my 50% refund!

The sky is clearing so I am going to go outside later and try and see what brighter astronomical objects are visible in my binoculars under Sydney's light pollution.

Pity about the weather, particularly for the cancelled pelagic, but good luck on your remaining travels VB, a good run in Thaiand should get you to your 1000 mark, here's hoping ;)

I hope so Jos. I head to Thailand tomorrow and am a bit apprehensive because it is a step into the unknown - even the alphabet is strange! I have booked a decent hotel for the first three nights then I'll head down the peninsula towards Malaysia, and go to Frasers Hill, at least that is the plan at the moment. Unlike Australia I am expecting heat, humidity, thunderstorms and a bit of sunshine in between.

I even managed to do some astronomy last night, I went out into the courtyard with my bins and saw what objects could poke their way through downtown Sydney's chronic light pollution, and what little part of the sky I could view past the tall buildings, it was like observing from a forest. I also had to explain to a woman what I was looking at! I think she thought I was using my bins for nefarious purposes. Understandable I suppose!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back