• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Three month birding Odyssey Asia and Australia (1 Viewer)

glorious sunshine today!

Expect that to change from tomorrow! ;)

I did a whale watching cruise this afternoon, fully expecting to see nothing. I got good views of mother and calf Southern Humpback Whales, the calf was about a year old. The boats are supposed to keep a 300 metre distance but when the whales decide to come TO the boats...!! They are quite nosey creatures. :-O

There was a Black-browed Albatross sitting on the sea, it took off when the boat approached and I managed to get some photos. It was then I discovered that a 3 foot swell + looking through a long lens = queasiness!! I have never been seasick but with the Barrier Reef trip and today I think I have discovered a new found susceptibility to sea motion, although I put today down to an empty stomach and looking through long lenses and binoculars. The queasiness was a blessing in disguise I think because I suddenly found myself actually quite glad the pelagic on Saturday got postponed.

So that's it for Australia this time round. It has had its ups, downs and grey areas, and the weather has been a bit disappointing but the birding has been excellent and I have got some - I hope - great photos.

Onto Thailand next and a new adventure - I arrive there at midnight local time tomorrow.

I posted this on Birds and Birding, but it's gone unreplied, so I am posting it here, in the hope that Tony or someone can shed any light on it:

Last week, I saw some interesting behaviour between an Eastern Rosella and a group of Common Mynas. The mynas were fighting, in one big bundle which would occasionally split into two seperate fights before rejoining - mynas are vicious little so and sos - but what interested me, was an Eastern Rosella which was involved. the rosella was standing with the group of mynas and closely watching the fight, which was taking place on the pavement, almost as if it was refereeing it or egging the participants on.
The fight broke up and the rosella flew off up into a tree with the mynas, but five minutes later, all birds were back and the fight broke out again, with the rosella, again, closely involved. I didn't see the outcome of the fight, but the whole thing struck me as odd, due to the presence of the rosella.

This was very strange. Why would a member of a totally seperate species get involved in a mass brawl, not actively fighting but definitely watching and almost as if encouraging the participants?

I've seen this with Magpie Larks on more than one occasion. A big punch up takes place between the Mynahs and a Magpie Lark flies down to watch from close up and usually calling loudly as if egging them on!

Maybe the Rosella and the Magpie Larks just like to watch a good avian punch up!:-O

Last edited:
Hi Tony, yes, it reminded me of a school playground fight and the shouts of 'scrap, scrap, scrap'!

Well, I am now in Thailand. It's very warm, though not uncomfortably so, and overcast but currently dry. I am hanging around Bangkok for a couple of days then I plan to head off into the sticks to Chiang Mai and Doi Inthanon. This probably isn't the best time of year, but I want to go and have a look round. Does anyone know if Mr Deang still offers cheap accommodation for birders?
No lifers yet, just Peaceful Doves, Mynas and the inevitable feral pigeons - but then I have only just got up! Place I am staying in isn't exactly 5 star but is still a nice hotel by the river and there's a bit of fascinating people-watching to be done! The first thing I saw when I got up was a golden Buddha in a small pagoda in the grounds - we're definitely not in Kansas any more Toto!
I felt some trepidation about being here last night, SE Asia for me is a real step into new territory, with a completely different alphabet and everything, but now I want to get out and explore. Singapore was my first experience of Asia, but with everything in English felt not a lot different. Thailand is a whole 'nother experience.

Last edited:
Hi Tony, yes, it reminded me of a school playground fight and the shouts of 'scrap, scrap, scrap'!

Well, I am now in Thailand. It's very warm, though not uncomfortably so, and overcast but currently dry. I am hanging around Bangkok for a couple of days then I plan to head off into the sticks to Chiang Mai and Doi Inthanon. This probably isn't the best time of year, but I want to go and have a look round. Does anyone know if Mr Deang still offers cheap accommodation for birders?

Welcome to Thailand! Here you go, http://www.mrdeang.com/
How long will you be in CM?
Marie

Thank you Jacana and Marie!

I am planning to be in Chiang Mai/Doi Inthanon around 5 to 7 days. I have to go and see about a train or a plane up there first and when I can get there.

I seem to have a problem, I cut my finger in a restaurant one week ago in Australia, it bled profusely, I stuck a plaster on it and thought no more of it. Over the past couple of days there's a swelling at the site and it hurts. The finger's hot too. I went to the chemist just round the corner here and they gave me some penicillin. I hope it doesn't get any worse and that this stuff is the same penicillin (or 'pencillin as they spelled it) as we get at home or I am going to have to go to the hospital, which'll cost me.

I went into Bangkok (where I am staying until Friday is more out towards Suvarnabhumi Airport) and frankly I hated it! I have been to a few cities and this place scared the life out of me, especially the driving, they're pretty erratic.

Actually, and it's a bit hard to admit this, but I seem to have hit a wall, I feel really depressed (started to feel like this in Australia last week) and just want to get on a jet and go home! I'm hating Thailand so far and can't seem to 'get into' being here. Ok, I've not got out of Bangkok so far but I feel that I want to cut the trip short and head home early. I can always come back. Situation not helped by huge cockroach that ran over my feet a few minutes ago, or my rapidly dwindling financial resources.

At this rate the thread title might need changing. It's already been trimmed to two months and a few days!

I did get a lifer today though, Javan Pond Heron. Makes 203 lifers on this trip.

Last edited:
I say stick it out! You're on the doorstep of some of the world's best birding, or so I hear...

Traveling in a foreign country is always a bit difficult at first, particularly in the big cities; once you get out into the countryside though, the pace of life slows noticeably and it should be easier to deal with. In my opinion the best thing to do in these moments of indecision is to go birding!

After all, who amongst us doesn't want to see a Giant Nuthatch?

http://orientalbirdimages.org/searc...esult&Bird_ID=2613&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1

enjoy!
Brad

Actually, and it's a bit hard to admit this, but I seem to have hit a wall, I feel really depressed (started to feel like this in Australia last week) and just want to get on a jet and go home! I'm hating Thailand so far and can't seem to 'get into' being here. Ok, I've not got out of Bangkok so far but I feel that I want to cut the trip short and head home early. I can always come back. Situation not helped by huge cockroach that ran over my feet a few minutes ago, or my rapidly dwindling financial resources.

At this rate the thread title might need changing. It's already been trimmed to two months and a few days!

I did get a lifer today though, Javan Pond Heron. Makes 203 lifers on this trip.

Fay,
You do need a little R&R in a more amenable spot than BKK. You need to get up north, if you can't get to Khao Yai. Could you swing a Standard room at Malee's http://www.maleenature.com/ or a double at Chiang Dao Nest http://nest.chiangdao.com/??? I'm not too available these days, with cat-care duties mainly - kittens and sick ones, but I could give you a ride to Chiang Dao, Doi Inthanon, or......anywhere a 2-3 hr drive from CM.
Come on up to where it's greener and cooler.....

Marie :cat:

Last edited:
Fay,
You do need a little R&R in a more amenable spot than BKK. You need to get up north, if you can't get to Khao Yai. Could you swing a Standard room at Malee's http://www.maleenature.com/ or a double at Chiang Dao Nest http://nest.chiangdao.com/??? I'm not too available these days, with cat-care duties mainly - kittens and sick ones, but I could give you a ride to Chiang Dao, Doi Inthanon, or......anywhere a 2-3 hr drive from CM.
Come on up to where it's greener and cooler.....

Marie :cat:

Lol! You've convinced me. I am going to find a train or bus out tomorrow! Already paid for hotel so can't come today.

I feel a bit horrible (had full on anxiety attack at 5am this morning), yet I don't want to go home - having to find a job? No thanks (not yet anyway). I'd be annoyed with myself if I did just bugger off to the UK, too.

Thanks for the offer of a ride, much appreciated. :t:

Edit: flight to Chiang Mai now booked.

Last edited:
Traveling in a foreign country is always a bit difficult at first, particularly in the big cities; once you get out into the countryside though, the pace of life slows noticeably and it should be easier to deal with. In my opinion the best thing to do in these moments of indecision is to go birding!

Thanks Brad!

My problem is, I think was arriving here, staying in a hotel not far from the airport, going into Bangkok yesterday for some bits and pieces I need and then getting hopelessly disorientated and not being able to make a taxi driver understand where I needed to get back to - I had to resort to paying him when we got stuck in traffic outside an internet place, bailing out, going into the net and downloading the address of the hotel in Thai script, getting another taxi and still taking an hour to get back. The weather's good, heat's not too bad (I left my bag in the internet cafe and had to run about 300 metres to go and get it - as it had my cameras, bins and passport in, it was panic stations! - but I could run quite comfortably and didn't end up a sweaty wreck, unlike in Singapore. Being much fitter since I left home has helped), it's hot but comfortable and the sun's out.

Hi Fay,

If I'd known you were planning to spend a few days in BK, I'd've said, "Don't do it! Get out of that city as quick as you can and get up country".

I know many folks who absolutely hated BK, but loved north Thailand.

Btw, regarding the cut: I used to get a lot of infections when I first arrived in Cairns. In the tropics, even the smallest cut needs to be taken seriously and treated as soon as possible. Just a wee tip retrospectively alas...

Hi Fay,

If I'd known you were planning to spend a few days in BK, I'd've said, "Don't do it! Get out of that city as quick as you can and get up country".

I know many folks who absolutely hated BK, but loved north Thailand.

Btw, regarding the cut: I used to get a lot of infections when I first arrived in Cairns. In the tropics, even the smallest cut needs to be taken seriously and treated as soon as possible. Just a wee tip retrospectively alas...

Yeah I hate BKK with a passion. Awful place. Big, polluted and even more chaotic than cities usually are.

As for the cut, it was healing before I left Australia but what's happened is that I seem to have got an abscess. At least the penicillin I got from the chemist seems to be working, it's not as painful and the swelling and yellowness beneath the surface is smaller. The finger is also not as hot.

Oh yeah - another couple of new birds today, Striated Weaver; also a heron-type thing that landed on a floating mat of vegetation in the river this afternoon. It looked like Yellow Bittern, although I am not sure how likely this is in Bangkok, so close to houses and businesses. I'm not in central Bangkok, I'm in the outer part of the city towards Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Last edited:
As everyone else has said you'll have a great time once you get out of the polluted chaos!

If your heron-type thing looked like a Yellow Bittern then thats what it was - not hard to find!

Enjoy the north!

Glad to hear your doing well Vectis great trip report. A smalll and simple tip you probably already know but i'm throwing it out there anyways. Keep your infected hand above your head so it looks like you are raising your hand like in school. I'm talking as much as possible at night or whenever you can. Gravity will assist in your healing and it might take a day off the whole injury healing time. Good luck and thanks for the interesting read.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back