• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Three month birding Odyssey Asia and Australia (1 Viewer)

Hi Fay,

Are you going to put up a list of what you've seen? I'd love to find out what stuff to expect there.

Glad you're much happier now. As I said before, most people come to love the place once they get out of BK.

I remember BT Sunbird from Malaysia. Real crackers!:t:

wow!! what lovely birds,what are they?

Sorry, I forgot to put the names on, but Halftwo has done it.

Ok, I have a question, which I've also posted in the Thailand section of Information Wanted. For any of you who've been to Khao Yai, without your own transport, which was the best way of getting there from Pak Chong? I know I can get the bus from BK to Pak Chong, but once in Pak Chong, how would I get to the park HQ? More importantly, getting there is one thing, but how frequent is traffic back to the park entrance or Pak Chong? I don't want to get stuck for hours on end waiting for transport out of there.

I am planning to go there on Monday, until Wednesday.

Sorry, I forgot to put the names on, but Halftwo has done it.

Ok, I have a question, which I've also posted in the Thailand section of Information Wanted. For any of you who've been to Khao Yai, without your own transport, which was the best way of getting there from Pak Chong? I know I can get the bus from BK to Pak Chong, but once in Pak Chong, how would I get to the park HQ? More importantly, getting there is one thing, but how frequent is traffic back to the park entrance or Pak Chong? I don't want to get stuck for hours on end waiting for transport out of there.

I am planning to go there on Monday, until Wednesday.

Seem to remember I got a bus direct to Khao Yai from BK. Coming back I missed the bus but managed to hitch without much trouble. This was in 1989 though. Watch out for the leeches!

You can get a songthiew directly to Khao Yai from Pak Chong from outside the 7-11. But note that there are 2 7-11s on the main road !!! This confused us. You want the western one (nearer Bangkok). It's a cheap ride and gets you just to the gates from where it's an easy hitch to the campground.

Just back from Khao Yai, where I stayed at the Greenleaf Guesthouse not far from the the park gates. They meet people from the bus stop with a songthaew. The accommodation is a bargain 200 Baht a night, ok the water is cold, the room is hot and the mattress is definitely the product of a quarry but these are minor issues.

I went with their guide, Rittichai Kengsungkoen, aka Mr Nine, who was excellent, speaks good English (like the guesthouse staff also do) and is an excellent birder and photographer. I got some excellent birds, including Great Hornbill, Oriental Pied Hornbill, Wreathed Hornbill, Siamese Fireback, Silver Pheasant, Red Junglefowl, Indian Roller, Crimson Sunbird, Richard's Pipit, and so on. I added a good 20 (maybe more if I look at my list) new species to my list. Nine and I also had great fun doing our photography, too, and I have got some super pics which I'll put on my site soon.

I also got a whole load of leeches too. I had taken all the precautions, such as leech socks, repellant and so on but overlooked one crucial small detail. I forgot to tuck my shirt in with the result that I got several leeches attached to my stomach and back and my shirt - a white one, naturally, but fortunately an old one - looked as if I'd been the victim of a stabbing. I am a confirmed bug-phobic but I was pleased with my stoicism in the face of slimy vampires.

I also saw plenty of Sambhar Deer, Barking Deer (Muntjac), Pig-tailed Macaques, a tree-lizard (not sure which species), an impressive Water Monitor and some frighteningly large orb spiders - fortunately I am not a foot taller than I am or I'd have copped a spider the size of a man's hand in my face; I can stand leeches but a gigantic spider in my face would have guaranteed a girlie show of panic and horror. I hoped to see some elephants but although there were some big piles of droppings and wrecked vegetation I didn't see so much as a flapping ear. Same with the gibbons, plenty of hooting, screeching and siren-like noises coming from the forest but nothing could be seen swinging through the branches. Next time...

Funnily I have gone from loathing Thailand to loving it in the space of a fortnight and I can't wait to come back in the near future, hopefully in January 2011. Bangkok's still bloody awful though; I got , especially the corrupt taxi drivers; I got into an argument with one bloke over the use of his meter earlier, he wanted it left off and to charge me 200 Baht, I wanted it switched on. He switched it on and I only paid 70 Baht for the journey.

Khao Yai is definitely one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited and the magical birds and other wildlife make it even more beautiful. I am definitely coming back.

Last edited:
Great stuff Fay!:t:

Aren't you glad you didn't hop on the plane back home now? Khao Yai's one of my targets when I get to Thailand. Sounds brill.

Great stuff Fay!:t:

Aren't you glad you didn't hop on the plane back home now? Khao Yai's one of my targets when I get to Thailand. Sounds brill.

Oh definitely. In fact I was just thinking the same yesterday, late in the day, as I caught sight of my umpteenth brightly-coloured species of the trip. :-O

Heading back to the UK tomorrow though, my money has run out, I'm seriously overdrawn and the bank are getting arsey. I don't regret heading home three weeks ahead of schedule, because I have had a great trip - sure it has had it's ups, downs (apart from petty annoyances, there have not been many, just the cancelled pelagic and the intense culture shock of Bangkok, as well as catching a bad cold in Thailand) and grey areas but overall it has been pretty bloody excellent.

I'd do it all over again, but next time, I would definitely shorten Australia, or just go for a couple of weeks to one area. I had definitely underestimated the cost of that country, I hadn't realised how expensive it had got until I got there, it never used to be as pricey but is now equivalent to the UK, price wise.

Now I am looking forward to getting back, seeing my dog and sorting my photos out - and plan the next trip. Not looking forward to having to find work (yuck) to get my car back on the road, pay my aunt back some money I owe her and generally get back into the boring everyday.

Last edited:
So it's all over...

Well at least you're looking forward to getting back to your old routines. I've very much enjoyed reading about your adventures and sharing in some of them!

Cheers.B :)

Fay,

I'm glad you got over your bout of homesickness/culture shock and were able to enjoy your time outside of Bangkok - not that I ever doubted you would!

I look forward to your next trip report from this part of the world.

Thanks for reporting on your odyssey and glad to hear you got to see more of Thailand than just Bangkok (which actually has pretty good birding in parks and some nearby areas). Thailand was one of my favorite countries-would love to get back there some day!

Thanks everyone and especially Marie and Tony. I am now at Suvarnabhumi Airport waiting for my flight to LHR. 'Interesting' computers they have here, stainless steel keyboards with ball bearing mice and a right bugger to use!

I got some cracking Hornbill and Silver Pheasant pix at Khao Yai, can't wait to see them on my computer! The Thailand part of the trip, despite the 'mare for the first two or three days have definitely made me want more Oriental birding.

Can't believe trip is over, now have to save for next one - back to Thailand perhaps...

Good luck with your trip. If it's any help I'm currently posting a write-up of my winter trip to my blog -- interesting to see that you're getting pretty much the same birds now.

i'm glad you got some good birds in the end! You're gonna have to coma back for the south of Thailand! Go Gurney's! Safe journey!

Well, I'm back home after an overnight flight from Bangkok, and it's a different kind of shock - the Isle of Wight Pop Festival is this weekend and the ferries and roads are insanely busy; of course to add to it the IW Council have major roadworks on, they never have had good timing. At Ryde the taxi driver asked me if I was off to the festival - not bloody likely, I said, I'm going home after birdwatching in Australia and Thailand!

My little dog went mental when she saw me, the screams of joy from her had to be heard to be believed and now she won't let me out of her sight!

Far from going to sleep, I'll take a look at my pix this afternoon and try and get some polished up and on the net.

Oh yeah, after Thailand the UK feels a little parky!

Thanks Larry. I have finished off the blog (until the next trip!) and it can be seen - with photos - here. More photos, not just of birds, but other stuff too can be seen here, but this is very much a 'work in progress' because I have got so many photos!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back