• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Tier 2" Conquest HD or Trinovid (8x42) (3 Viewers)

David in NC

I know this is a similar subject to other threads (but aren't most of them anyway ;) )...

So I really want a SV/UV/HT but SHOULD I decide willingly (or be forced financially) to drop my goals a notch, I am considering these to be the two main contenders. Bearing in mind I haven't yet looked through either one, I am interested in opinions of image quality, contrast, etc. I don't care for the cool blue color bias of the older Zeiss FL and older Conquest. I am guessing the Leica has better "contrast" and is more "warmer" but I'm open to all input.

Annabeth-I know your answer! :king:

Hi David, Well, my Trinovid certainly has a more warmer view than both my Zeiss FL and my Conquest 8x30, hard to define, but I would say the Trinovid is less harsh, which has better contrast, I think would depend on the viewing conditions, sunny, dull etc, but these things are down to personal preferences and all are excellent binoculars, many will just prefer the greater brightness of the Zeiss. I have not looked through the new Conquest HD, but from what I have read, as you will have, it sounds pretty impressive and good value. So, really your best way forward is to go and have a look through one.

Can I give it anyway ? :)

Both models are so nice that you may never feel the need to upgrade.

The new Trinovid is just not very popular it seems. Most people will probably suggest you buy the Conquest. It is really nice and it's cheaper than the Trinovid to boot. I've tried the 8x32 at the store and liked it. But I love my Trinovid because it just fits me better and I like the design and build so much.

I still haven't found anything I don't like about it and I've been using it for a while now. It hasn't dissqppointed yet and I don't expect it to at this point. Only small nitpick is that it would be nice to have a little more FOV, but not a biggie. If you need close focus then you should definitely go with the Conquest.

Last edited:
The Conquest is a nice find....a really solid pair of binos that when I tested were very similar to the Swaro ..so go for it...jim

I could`nt get comfortable with the Conquest HD but for me it is clearly behind the HT.

The Trinovid however for me was identical to the UV but with a slightly nfov, the Trinnie is every bit the alpha the UV is IMO.

I know this is a similar subject to other threads (but aren't most of them anyway ;) )...

So I really want a SV/UV/HT but SHOULD I decide willingly (or be forced financially) to drop my goals a notch, I am considering these to be the two main contenders. Bearing in mind I haven't yet looked through either one, I am interested in opinions of image quality, contrast, etc. I don't care for the cool blue color bias of the older Zeiss FL and older Conquest. I am guessing the Leica has better "contrast" and is more "warmer" but I'm open to all input.

Don't drop you goals, just drop your price and buy a Nikon 8x32 SE. Color contrast and warmer color bias like the Leica, but less than half the price.

Better 3-D effect, a bit wider FOV, and if you don't have lady fingers like Beth, you will probably find they provide more "real estate" for your hands. I think that was the reason she sold hers, they were too big, but I'm not sure, perhaps it was because she couldn't find an umbrella hat to match her outfits. ;)

Considering how soaked y'all get in North Carolina, figure on buying one yourself;

SE/EII Rain Gear

Brock

Last edited:
Better 3-D effect, a bit wider FOV, and if you don't have lady fingers like Beth, you will probably find they provide more "real estate" for your hands. I think that was the reason she sold hers, they were too big, but I'm not sure, perhaps it was because she couldn't find an umbrella hat to match her outfits. ;)

Considering how soaked y'all get in North Carolina, figure on buying one yourself;

Brock

heehee...I need a black umbrella hat that says 'Leica' on it to match my bin ;)
Now that would be silly. But, seriously the umbrella hat would be good protection from the sun. I use a light wide brimmed hat. I do need to get more UV/SPF type clothing for this Spring and Summer. The sun really ages you and I have fair skin.

I actually found the SE to fit my hands ok. I don't have petite hands. I have more medium sized hands since I'm about 5'9" (5' and 8.5" to be exact). But, yes over time reaching just an extra tiny bit with my fingers to turn the focus wheel made my hand sore and it created the same type of tendinitis that I get from computer work using the mouse. With that said, I can see how some people feel the porros are comfortable to hold. An 8x30 , being just a little smaller than the 32mm SE, is a good size for me.

Don't drop you goals, just drop your price and buy a Nikon 8x32 SE. Color contrast and warmer color bias like the Leica, but less than half the price.

SE/EII Rain Gear

Brock

Brock, you need to get out more my friend. As much as I hate to say it the Nikon is old school
Compared to the newest crop of binoculars.
Just yesterday even my better half commented how dull the se looks in contrast to the sv.
And this was on a dull day.
That said I won't probably sell them there view still compared to most is great.
Bryce...

I've not tried the Trinovid but I'd say the Conquest HD is near the top of the line such as a lot of the other approx. 1000 USD crop of binoculars. Leica's 8 and 10x binoculars always have less eye relief than I'd prefer.
The SE lacks waterproofing which for someone like me who uses binoculars both professionally and recreationally is a deal killer.

All the best,
Justin

I've not tried the Trinovid but I'd say the Conquest HD is near the top of the line such as a lot of the other approx. 1000 USD crop of binoculars. Leica's 8 and 10x binoculars always have less eye relief than I'd prefer.
The SE lacks waterproofing which for someone like me who uses binoculars both professionally and recreationally is a deal killer.

All the best,
Justin

Justin,

I don't think you were here when this thread about the non-waterproof porro-prism binocular Chandler S. Robbins used for 50 years was posted. There is a link showing his contributions to Ornithology in the 1st post with a picture of him holding his iconic binoculars.

The rest of the thread is a discussion about them with more pictures.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=1599746

Bob

Bob,

Oh Chandler Robbins, what an awesome person. I actually have a copy of the "First 15 years" of the BBS as well as an older "Golden Guide" shoved away in my pseudo-library.
I've always wondered how he was able to get by using non-WP binoculars for so long. My 7x35 non-WP porro prisms I inherited are practically useless after being exposed to rain on several occasions.

Happy birding,
Justin

Brock, you need to get out more my friend. As much as I hate to say it the Nikon is old school
Just yesterday even my better half commented how dull the se looks in contrast to the sv.
That said I won't probably sell them there view still compared to most is great.
Bryce...

Old school? Riddle me this: Which pair of binoculars used field flatteners 14 years before the other and which one took 14 years to catch up? The SE or the SV EL? :smoke:

What model SE do you have? The 550/551xxx are the latest and have better contrast and look brighter than earlier models, because they have Nikon's latest AR coatings, which to my eyes, makes a big difference. A 501xxx would look downright "dull" by comparison.

The only thing that's old about the SE are the coatings, and that's in the older models. Otherwise, the SE was way ahead of its time by incorporating field flatteners and having a round prism housing with front slanted champfering that allows for an "elbows down" position like a roof. It's also razor sharp and could beat pants off any roof in 1998. Roofs have caught up, but at what cost?

The SE costs a fraction of a new alpha and is still widely considered as the reference standard in its class. For $2200, the SV EL had better have superior contrast/brightness than the Superior E, but does it have 3.6 TIMES the contrast and brightness of the SE? Haven't tried one, so I couldn't say, but I'm doubtful that any midsized roof could be that much better than a 550/551 8x32 SE.

What I would say is that the red bias of the 8x32 SE doesn't it make it ideal for dull days. Red makes things look dimmer. But... when the sun is out, the color contrast in the SE really helps separate the wheat from the chaff.

Brock

I personally would not consider either the Zeiss Conquest HD or the Trinovid second tier. That actually sounds sort of degrading for binoculars as good as the eye can use (for the most part). It is hard to imagine the need for more build quality either. The Conquests have starred in a video showing them being thrown from a truck, dragged by a truck, and blasted twice by a shotgun.

The Zeiss Conquest HD is not anything like the cool bias of the Victory FL's. So get whichever one you like, and quit worrying about the arrangement of deck chairs on the Titanic. Just go use whichever one and I seriously doubt you will ever want for more. ;)

Last edited:
heehee...I need a black umbrella hat that says 'Leica' on it to match my bin ;)
Now that would be silly. But, seriously the umbrella hat would be good protection from the sun. I use a light wide brimmed hat. I do need to get more UV/SPF type clothing for this Spring and Summer. The sun really ages you and I have fair skin.

I actually found the SE to fit my hands ok. I don't have petite hands. I have more medium sized hands since I'm about 5'9" (5' and 8.5" to be exact). But, yes over time reaching just an extra tiny bit with my fingers to turn the focus wheel made my hand sore and it created the same type of tendinitis that I get from computer work using the mouse. With that said, I can see how some people feel the porros are comfortable to hold. An 8x30 , being just a little smaller than the 32mm SE, is a good size for me.
Your heehee is getting to be YOUR trademark , as much as, the haha is mine!

Bryce...
It only took me about a half hour to compare my SE and SV and decide which one to keep. For me the SV was easily the best view and the SE went on Ebay the next day.

Old school? Riddle me this: Which pair of binoculars used field flatteners 14 years before the other and which one took 14 years to catch up? The SE or the SV EL? :smoke:

What model SE do you have? The 550/551xxx are the latest and have better contrast and look brighter than earlier models, because they have Nikon's latest AR coatings, which to my eyes, makes a big difference. A 501xxx would look downright "dull" by comparison.

The only thing that's old about the SE are the coatings, and that's in the older models. Otherwise, the SE was way ahead of its time by incorporating field flatteners and having a round prism housing with front slanted champfering that allows for an "elbows down" position like a roof. It's also razor sharp and could beat pants off any roof in 1998. Roofs have caught up, but at what cost?

The SE costs a fraction of a new alpha and is still widely considered as the reference standard in its class. For $2200, the SV EL had better have superior contrast/brightness than the Superior E, but does it have 3.6 TIMES the contrast and brightness of the SE? Haven't tried one, so I couldn't say, but I'm doubtful that any midsized roof could be that much better than a 550/551 8x32 SE.

What I would say is that the red bias of the 8x32 SE doesn't it make it ideal for dull days. Red makes things look dimmer. But... when the sun is out, the color contrast in the SE really helps separate the wheat from the chaff.

Brock
"but I'm doubtful that any midsized roof could be that much better than a 550/551 8x32 SE."

The 8x32 SV is.

I have tried both and I think the Conquest 8x32 HD is the best bang for your buck around.

Thanks for sharing time and thoughts everyone.

Also, I can't help but hope that Meopta gives us a 7x42 HD this year (rumor in another thread). THAT would be a serious contender!!! I posted as much a year or so ago, and even emailed Meopta...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back