• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Tier 2" Conquest HD or Trinovid (8x42) (3 Viewers)

I think you should start a new thread on this Dennis and tell us just what Britishness is in relation to binoculars, so we can all look out for it the next time we try out unfamiliar binoculars.

Perhaps you could get Albino's and Binomania to include it in their tests......:eat:

Lee

I guess it means below par, sub standard, second rate, only Japan made with a measly 30 year warranty, instead of Austrian glass hand polished by alpine maidens, and lovingly assembled into the worlds finest binoculars for the uber discerning and super rich.

I guess it means below par, sub standard, second rate, only Japan made with a measly 30 year warranty, instead of Austrian glass hand polished by alpine maidens, and lovingly assembled into the worlds finest binoculars for the uber discerning and super rich.

Torview

Wouldn't mind getting hand polished by alpine maidens myself 8-P

Lee

I think you should start a new thread on this Dennis and tell us just what Britishness is in relation to binoculars, so we can all look out for it the next time we try out unfamiliar binoculars.

Perhaps you could get Albino's and Binomania to include it in their tests......:eat:

Lee

Lee. Greetings. This is off-topic, but is very interesting question. I have spent some of my best life years in England during the seventies and the eighties of the last century--my postgraduate degree is also from there. And yes, the term "British", although in this context, I prefer "English", has an almost-always specific meaning in my experience when a product from there is described. It means a very reliable, efficient, and solidly made product that is classic in taste even though may not possess or reflect the latest technology or design attributes. Good examples (from that period) include Roberts Radio and Land Rover Defender.

The English consumer (at least at that time 30 years ago) was generally savvy, well informed and very price sensitive (who isn't?). It was likely, however, that she/he would also be "conservative" in their taste and somehow slow to accept newer models. As a result, I have observed that product runs in England were generally longer than those in the continent. For example, yesteryear camera models were easier to find in England than in France (a country that I am also familiar with). Of course, all of the above are perceptions of an Anglophile at a time that may no longer be representative of today.

Now, what does this term means in relations to Binoculars? To me, it means a pair of binoculars that is closer to Leica Trinoivd BN than to Ultravid or Zeiss HT.

Enjoy in good health.

Lee. Greetings. This is off-topic, but is very interesting question. I have spent some of my best life years in England during the seventies and the eighties of the last century--my postgraduate degree is also from there. And yes, the term "British", although in this context, I prefer "English", has an almost-always specific meaning in my experience when a product from there is described. It means a very reliable, efficient, and solidly made product that is classic in taste even though may not possess or reflect the latest technology or design attributes. Good examples (from that period) include Roberts Radio and Land Rover Defender.

The English consumer (at least at that time 30 years ago) was generally savvy, well informed and very price sensitive (who isn't?). It was likely, however, that she/he would also be "conservative" in their taste and somehow slow to accept newer models. As a result, I have observed that product runs in England were generally longer than those in the continent. For example, yesteryear camera models were easier to find in England than in France (a country that I am also familiar with). Of course, all of the above are perceptions of an Anglophile at a time that may no longer be representative of today.

Now, what does this term means in relations to Binoculars? To me, it means a pair of binoculars that is closer to Leica Trinoivd BN than to Ultravid or Zeiss HT.

Enjoy in good health.

Ibram

That's a very nice and thoughtful discussion although I am not sure it is what Dennis had in mind. Especially so because I don't think that Dennis knew what was in his mind (again).

But, yes, you have encapsulated a certain Britishness very neatly and one which still applies to some things even today: take Aston Martin for example, one of the world's strongest brands. Lacking the budget of Ferrari, their cars are a triumph of what you can do with limited access to development funds.

Certainly my impression of Opticron bins (not all, but most) is that they can usually be recommended to get the job done nicely even if they are not at the forefront of tech or image. I liken them to Yamaha guitars: hard to pick a bad one.

Thanks for this digression.

Lee

I don't think you gave the Swaro 8x30 CL enough of a try. It is quite good. I think when it came out a few people didn't like it so it got a bad reputation but in reality it is quite good. Remember it is a 30mm binocular with Swaro glass and Swaro coatings which are undeniably the best there is and it has excellent light transmission. There is no way an 8x25 is going to outdo it. Kikkert ranks it above the Zeiss FL and very close to the Conquest HD and that's about right where I would put it. It is interesting that the build quality of the Swaro is 2 points higher than the Conquest HD or FL. I would agree with that also. The Swaro is much finer and a higher build quality than either. It doesn't have the FOV of the SV but it has better edges than the Conquest or FL and better contrast and it is brighter than the Conquest HD and the FL. It has way better ergos than either and it is way smaller and lighter. It is a nice compromise for somebody that can't put up with a compact. I like it better than the FL or Conquest HD overall. It is impressive for the Conquest HD that it is that close to the Leica Ultravid at half the price. Look what's #1! The best birding binocular in the world the Swarovski 8x32 SV.

http://www.kikkertspesialisten.no/p...0_8x32_binoculars_review_kikkert_test8x30.pdf

Funny how you make all these comparisons with binoculars you no longer own - some, like the FL, you ditched years ago.

I put zero stock in comparisons from memory - and remember you saying the same - but then consistency isn't your calling card these days, is it?

Ibram

That's a very nice and thoughtful discussion although I am not sure it is what Dennis had in mind. Especially so because I don't think that Dennis knew what was in his mind (again).

But, yes, you have encapsulated a certain Britishness very neatly and one which still applies to some things even today: take Aston Martin for example, one of the world's strongest brands. Lacking the budget of Ferrari, their cars are a triumph of what you can do with limited access to development funds.

Certainly my impression of Opticron bins (not all, but most) is that they can usually be recommended to get the job done nicely even if they are not at the forefront of tech or image. I liken them to Yamaha guitars: hard to pick a bad one.

Thanks for this digression.

Lee
That is exactly what I meant by the British binocular statement. They are kind of like an old Jaguar XKE. Sexy and stylish but bound to have electrical problems. Leica's and Zeiss are engineered like a Mercedes and Opticron like a Jaguar. Can't you see the similarity in design? A Zeiss even smells like a Mercedes.

Last edited:
Funny how you make all these comparisons with binoculars you no longer own - some, like the FL, you ditched years ago.

I put zero stock in comparisons from memory - and remember you saying the same - but then consistency isn't your calling card these days, is it?
Kikkert agrees with that brightness statement and I feel they are dead accurate. In my experience Swaro's are some of the brightest binoculars around especially in low light situations. Hunters out here prefer them for that reason.

That is exactly what I meant by the British binocular statement. They are kind of like an old Jaguar XKE. Sexy and stylish but bound to have electrical problems. Leica's and Zeiss are engineered like a Mercedes and Opticron like a Jaguar. Can't you see the similarity in design? A Zeiss even smells like a Mercedes.

Mercedes does`nt top any customer satisfaction polls in Europe these days, its the Japanese models that dominate here.

Chacun a son gout;);)

Oetzi

You little rascal!

By definition 'maidens' have been untouched my men and therefore, normally, rather young. You must have attached the wrong picture. Perhaps its time for you to consider wearing spectacles to correct your vision which is clearly seriously defective ;) ;) ;)

Lee

Lee, Oetzi, not fair to refer to matters in advanced optics (I presume) briefly like that just because you are experts. Explain a bit more, for us. PS. The no. of on-topic posts in this thread at this point is less than 30%. But we have learnt about Nikon SEs, famous ornithologists, Land Rover Defenders, and now this.

Last edited:
Lee, Oetzi, not fair to refer to matters in advanced optics (I presume) briefly like that just because you are experts. Explain a bit more, for us. PS. The no. of on-topic posts in this thread at this point is less than 30%. But we have learnt about Nikon SEs, famous ornithologists, Land Rover Defenders, and now this.

Pomp

It is quite illogical of you to point out that less than 30% of posts here have been on topic and then ask for more information on a subject that you know very well has nothing to do with advanced optics. o:D

As for Conquest HD and Trinnie 8x42 I think that by comparison the Conquest is a terrific bargain at its price point. The Trinnie on the other hand is a bargain compared with Uvid.

If you want any more information on 'advanced optics' I suggest you send a PM to Oezi :eek!:

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back