• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Top 5 of 2021 (1 Viewer)

Do you think it likely that the albatross might become an annual visitor? If so I might plan a visit next year to see it. As I don't have a car it doesn't seem to be an easy place to get to so I might have to stay as near as possible and work out how to get there.
bempton has a train station so the train from hull i guess many years ago i did the train from blacktoft sands to bempton via bus and train just a thought

Going early on this thread with over a fortnight to go on a grey day when I have struggled to get myself going so a pick me up down the memories of 2021....

1. Sulphur-bellied Warbler, Lundy, Devon - 8th June - my first immediate reaction twitch having been lying low since March 2020. No hesitation. I had twitched Lundy the same day for Veery in spring 1997 and that had proven to be a one day bird. The fear was always going to be that this would follow suit. A few boats made it over on the day that Britain's first and the Western Palearctic's second Sulphur-bellied Warbler was found. A real feelgood twitch for me legging it up the hill into Millcombe Valley with a few in my wake having worked on my fitness during my hibernation. A day when I saw at least thirty friends that I had not seen for far far too long. As another boat strained to overtake us across a glassy Bristol channel amongst the auks and Manxies, life felt absolutely bloody fantastic for the first time in a very very long time. Still smiling....

2. Varied Thrush, Papa Westray, Orkney - 28th October - the autumn had passed uneventfully for me since early excitement with simply a couple of trips for birds that I had seen before in company with friends but mainly, I had been walking the patch. However, driving between the Penzance Sainsbury's and our holiday cottage near Land's End on 27th October during a week away with friends, time stood still briefly around 6.30pm when the pager read Varied Thrush on Papa Westray. Only one thing to do and that was to start heading north. The detail did not matter. It simply had to be done. Hopefully, things would work out. A drive, a flight and a taxi later, I was boarding a boat at Kirkwall shortly after 8.00am the following morning. News that the bird was still present had come through as we were landing at Kirkwall Airport. That flight simply contained ten of us heading for the same boat, a bemused stewardess and a couple of perplexed bystanders. We were at the forefront of the start of many a journey already underway or being planned. A sweaty hour and a half boat ride and a couple of miles walking were soon forgotten when the bird showed almost instantly on my arrival. The stuff of dreams being Britain's second and only the Western Palearctic's third. A tangerine dream to eclipse the odd monochrome historic record that was still receiving a raised eyebrow thirty years later. I had always thought that it could happen again and I had always been pretty sure that wherever it was, I was going to try to see it. But it is one thing to know that and another for it to happen and then to connect. This has renewed my optimism that at some point, I will fill my remaining holes on that list of historic rares.

3. Rufous Bushchat, The Lizard, Cornwall - 23rd August - I had sat on my hands throughout autumn 2020 with kick after kick to the solar plexus as rarity after rarity fell. Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Tennessee Warbler, Rufous Bushchat and Philadelphia Vireo would all have been ticks. The Bushchat was perhaps my most cautious decision being a British mainland bird. Over the months since deciding not to travel for that Norfolk bird, I had been convinced that it would fall again. All those low country records... In a piece of appalling positioning, I was standing outside The Emirates with no prospect of connecting before dark on 22nd August when news broke. A quick call to a friend based on The Lizard established that it was the eastern subspecies and he had seen it well so a clear "gripback" on the Norfolk bird rather than a future taxonomic complication. By 3.00am the next morning, I was getting some fitful sleep in the car with the brightest moon in the sky shining above. My only hope was that the bird would simply be embarrassed at migrating in such easy conditions. A few hours later, in the half light, the first clinching views were followed by a celebratory fist pump that should have triggered some embarrassment in a middle-aged man if I had any shame at all... Stunning views followed. This was the tenth British record so one of the commonest species I had not seen before. Massive emotions that day.

4. Northern Mockingbird, Exmouth, Devon - 29th March - early sightings of the Mockingbird and indeed any birding in the entirety of the previous year had been embroiled by recriminations, bitterness and division. This day was the day when for better or worse, most people felt more freedom to stand tall and enjoy being birding with less prospect of being attacked or cross-examined over their exact distance from home... My day had started at the American Herring Gull at Newlyn feeding it tuna whilst it perched on my foot in gloomy light and the Mockingbird was an ambitious diversion before returning home to Somerset for the weekly groceries delivery that afternoon. That had been my only shopping experience for the last year. The Mockingbird had been lost shortly before my arrival late morning but a bit of guesswork and positioning resulted in some lovely views in early spring sunshine on a front lawn in the short window available. This was a proper sighting that I really enjoyed. It was the third British record. My home county is Essex and I was twitching in spring 1988 so I knew pretty much everyone that had seen the suppressed bird of that year and some good friends turned it down. It seems that for various reasons, this is a species that will always have a place in the infamy of the British twitching scene. As one of the great philosophers once said, infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me... 🤣

5. Black-browed Albatross, Bempton, Yorkshire - 10th September - I had been wrestling with a desire to twitch the Black-browed Albatross but I rarely go for birds that I have seen before. A Green Warbler trapped the previous day at the same site provided the opportunity for three English ticks in a day - Green Warbler, Black-browed Albatross and White-tailed Lapwing - with a good friend who needed the Green Warbler. The Green Warbler was frustrating particularly as I had had good views of a bird that I had twitched on Unst in spring 2016 but I stuck it out long enough to get decent but brief views before being distracted away by the Albatross. The Albatross in contrast behaved brilliantly and it went well beyond my expectations with cracking flight views. I had recently got a new camera with which I struggled but nevertheless, being my first since the Hermaness bird in 1991 (dipped the previous year), it made it comfortably into my Top Five bird experiences of 2021 (heading off four patch ticks - Long-tailed Duck, Nightjar, Rose-coloured Starling and Glossy Ibis...). I will go back next year if it comes back.

In fact, well over 90% of my time this year was spent locally with birds, moths and other wildlife so I'll turn my mind to the 5 mile thread for 2021 now. I wouldn't want people thinking that I am "just" a crazy arse twitcher. 😂

All the best

Paul
A detailed, delightful, evocative read Paul!

Chris

Do you think it likely that the albatross might become an annual visitor? If so I might plan a visit next year to see it. As I don't have a car it doesn't seem to be an easy place to get to so I might have to stay as near as possible and work out how to get there.
The other thing to bear in mind is that it wasn't absolutely rock solid every day. I would suggest a stay of several days - you can visit Flamborough Head, Filey Brigg and maybe into the North York Moors for variety if it's not there when you arrive in the area. It's a great coast, let alone the hinterland.

John

Last edited:
Heading down to south Texas in a few days, so I'll hold off on my list until then - although I'm only anticipating one lifer and a handful of ABA ticks, so I'd say at least my top three will not be dethroned: 'Akiapola'au, Palila, and White Tern. Could easily fill the rest with other Hawaiian endemics (cleaned up on the big island). The 'Aki was my most wanted, the only surviving honeycreeper species with such a highly modified bill. Palila makes second because it was a hard-won self-found endemic. And White Tern was simply spectacular (plus I'm a tern biologist by trade).

Just for fun, here's my non-bird wildlife top 5:
1. Moorish Idol - most wanted reef fish in Hawaii
2. Picasso Triggerfish - several seen while snorkeling in Hawaii
3. Luna Moth - found my first ever at its day roost, on another day finally had one come to my blacklight while camping at Natchez Trace State Park
4. Io Moth - came several times to blacklights at a few locations, simply stunning
5. Black Witch (moth) - small influx of this tropical species arrived after Tropical Storm Claudette, one flushed from my porch and landed at my neighbor's house. We're good friends with them so no issue with getting permission to refind for photographs.

Attachments

• Aki_male1.JPG
    Aki_male1.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • WhiteTerns.JPG
    WhiteTerns.JPG
    295.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3855.JPG
    IMG_3855.JPG
    515.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210309_234117.JPG
    20210309_234117.JPG
    337.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IoMoth.jpeg
    IoMoth.jpeg
    609.3 KB · Views: 18
Difficult to choose between multiple species for spots 2-5, but there was only ever going to be one winner.

1 - Black-browed Albatross, Bempton Cliffs, 30th June & 22nd August - One of my most wanted species in the UK, like many others I had unfinished business with this bird having endured a painful two-day dip at Bempton in 2020. My first visit on the 30th June however was quite unsatisfactory, as despite successfully connecting with the bird the views were always distant as it sat on the cliffs for hours, before taking off and flying straight out to sea and off into the distance. Hardly the point blank views I had been hoping for. Thankfully, a return visit in August produced a near-perfect performance as it flew around the viewpoint at close range for over half an hour, everything I had hoped it would be and more!

2 - Elegant Tern, Cemlyn Bay, 6th July - Terns are a favourite family of mine, with a particular softspot for Elegant after finding one unexpectedly in Donana in 2016. An after work twitch (actually all of the top 4 were!) the Cemlyn bird put on a great show for several hours, with the site itself acting as a superb backdrop.

3 - River Warbler, Ham Wall, 7th June - A real gem of a bird that exceed my expectations. It showed fantastically well singing out in the open at close range for long periods, and like the Elegant twitch the site and other species present provided a great supporting cast.

4 - Roller, Icklingham, 24th June - I don't need to provide much explanation for this bird's inclusion! A world tick and an absolutely stunning bird that performed admirably, the attached shot was phone-scoped to give some idea of the views.

5 - Lesser White-fronted Goose, Pilling, 31st January - Being demoted to Cat-E by the BBRC took the overall shine off this find a little, but it was still a hell of a shock when this appeared in my scope during a routine scan of a pink-foot flock back in January. Over five years since my last BB find, hopefully the gap to the next one is shorter!

All bar the goose came in a particularly manic 44-day period between mid-May and early July that produced 11 UK lifers including other megas such as Pacific Swift, Red-necked Stint and Oriental Turtle Dove. Non-bird highlights include my first Greater and Lesser Horseshoe bats in south and north Wales respectively, and my first Glanville Fritillaries on the Isle of Wight.

Attachments

• BBA.JPG
    BBA.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • Roller.jpg
    Roller.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 21
  • LWFG.jpg
    LWFG.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Glanville.JPG
    Glanville.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Heading down to south Texas in a few days, so I'll hold off on my list until then - although I'm only anticipating one lifer and a handful of ABA ticks, so I'd say at least my top three will not be dethroned: 'Akiapola'au, Palila, and White Tern. Could easily fill the rest with other Hawaiian endemics (cleaned up on the big island). The 'Aki was my most wanted, the only surviving honeycreeper species with such a highly modified bill. Palila makes second because it was a hard-won self-found endemic. And White Tern was simply spectacular (plus I'm a tern biologist by trade).

Just for fun, here's my non-bird wildlife top 5:
1. Moorish Idol - most wanted reef fish in Hawaii
2. Picasso Triggerfish - several seen while snorkeling in Hawaii
3. Luna Moth - found my first ever at its day roost, on another day finally had one come to my blacklight while camping at Natchez Trace State Park
4. Io Moth - came several times to blacklights at a few locations, simply stunning
5. Black Witch (moth) - small influx of this tropical species arrived after Tropical Storm Claudette, one flushed from my porch and landed at my neighbor's house. We're good friends with them so no issue with getting permission to refind for photographs.
Congrats on the Palila. Our group missed that one. They're becoming VERY scarce.

Your 'Aki pic is better than mine, too. In my pics the bill is hidden.

A second successive year with no trips outside France (apart from the odd half day just across the border in the countryside outside Geneva) so my top 5 are not as exotic as some!

1 Red- footed Falcon. A female hunting at dusk in early May was the best of my four new species for the Garden List this year, two of the three others (Pygmy Owl (heard) and Whinchat) breed within 1km of the house and the third (Collared Dove) about 7kms away at lower altitude.

2 Smooth Snake. A lifer which developed a liking for the warm temperatures under one of our outside doormats!

3 Aesculapius' Snake. Another new species for me which embarrassingly I had never heard of - down by the river near my mother in law’s place 5kms away, the biggest serpent I’ve seen in Europe!

4 Bonelli’s Eagle. A distant view of this rare French breeder over the spectacular Gorge du Verdon in the Southern Alps was my only addition to my meagre French List this year.

5 Grey Wolf. I described this sighting in the Birding Halfway up the Alps thread ( Post 148), after a brief sighting of one ( Caucasian subspecies) in Armenia in 2018 it was a thrill to actually hear and observe a group for a few minutes in the Verdon Gorge area. Judging by the number of attacks on sheep near us this year (and one wandering through villages down near Geneva this week) I suspect I’ll be seeing the species again before too long……

All Lifers and all seen in Bulgaria, my only overseas trip being a quick visit to England to see our new granddaughter.

5) Small Bluetail Byala 02/08/21 Having spent many hours checking and photographing countless hundreds of Bluetails which all turned out to be Ischnura elegans I finally caught up with this delicate little damselfly in our tiny garden pond of all places. Still my only sighting of it to date.

4) Great Knot Pomorie 08/09/21 A first for Bulgaria and indeed the Balkans as a whole.

3) Freyer's Purple Emperor River Kamchia 11/06/21 I was delighted to find this beautiful species so close to home!

2) Long-billed Dowitcher Lake Atanasovsko 17/12/21 Not one but two gave splendid views feeding and resting in amongst a large flock of Teal. Another first for Bulgaria.

1) Corn Crake Byala 22/10/21 First place by a mile for me (despite two other Lifers in White-tailed Lapwing and Eider not even making the Top 5). I can't tell you how stunned and delighted I was to find this cryptic bird on my own patch (not 50 yards from where I found the Red-flanked Bluetail!). A brief encounter, I watched it and it eyed me up for a few seconds before it melted into the longer grass, but indelibly etched in my memory!

Attachments

• IMG_9742cL.JPG
    IMG_9742cL.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8443cL.JPG
    IMG_8443cL.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8445cL.JPG
    IMG_8445cL.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0504cL.JPG
    IMG_0504cL.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0515cL.JPG
    IMG_0515cL.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
Yeah,
I didn’t believe it existed either until I saw the light and became a convert 2 years ago at the La Selva bird count. took 14 years of looking though.
Clock’s still ticking (15 years and counting) on the bloody Rosy Thrush Tanager! Thats a fake bird if I ever didn’t see one.
Cheers,
Bryan
Haha fate is fickle! I’ve see. Probably 10 Rosy Thrush-Tanagers and probably heard 2-3x as many.

I have a friend who has seen Tiny Hawk like 5-6 times but not seen Semicollared or Bicolored. I’ve seen Semicollared 4-5x and probably 20+ Bicolored 🤣

Haha fate is fickle! I’ve see. Probably 10 Rosy Thrush-Tanagers and probably heard 2-3x as many.

I have a friend who has seen Tiny Hawk like 5-6 times but not seen Semicollared or Bicolored. I’ve seen Semicollared 4-5x and probably 20+ Bicolored 🤣
Awesome!
So that means there’s at least 30 Rosy-thrush Tanagers around, there’s hope for me yet. I’ve seen Bicolored’s but missed the Semi-collared when I was last in Colombia.

What puzzles me is, after years of effort chasing a target bird, why they suddenly start showing up all over the place. It’s like they all got the memo that someone blew their cover and they all come out of hiding or something. 😉

2021 in Hong Kong was definitely a mixed year. I book-ended it by:

a) killing my year-old scope January, just as I was getting into digiscoping and, being out of a job, was not in a position to replace it, and
b) killing my camera in late October, when freelancing was paying enough bills to make replacement a long-anticipated pleasure.

In between, birding took me from one end of the city to the other, included the final parts of a fascinating 15 month night bird survey, and showed me once again how much pleasure common birds can give right on the doorstep. As with last year this posting will serve as a personal link to my widely distributed reports, which contain more details and more photos, but reflect several best aspects of birding rather than just my top five birds. Hong Kong lifers are in red.

DSC00548 Eastern Reef Egret @ Lamma .jpg

1) Best birding day - Mai Po, Tuesday 28th December
An overcast afternoon at Mai Po produced two Hong Kong ticks - in the shape of Northern Goshawk (no pic) that has been very difficult to connect with, and American Wigeon (both 3rd HK records) , plus a resighting of a self-found Grey-headed Swamphen (11th HK record) which was topped off with four fabulous Pallas's Gulls with varying strength hoods amongst the Heuglin's Gulls less than 50 metres from the new Boardwalk Hide.

DSC00781 Pallas's Gull @ Mai Po bf.jpg

2) Best twitch - Brown Noddy, Eastern Waters
A boat trip out to Hong Kong's eastern waters in the hope of relocating HK's third Brown Noddy the morning after the heartbreak of the Euro 2021 final. We did find it and it showed superbly in the most wonderful setting. Honourable mentions for HK's first Ryukyu Minivets, on the third try, which was my only global lifer of 2021, and HK's second (and first twitchable - the first has a bizarre story) Lapland Bunting, which also produced a popular shot of the HK twitching scene.

DSC01260 Brown Noddy @ Mirs Bay.jpg

3) Best photo - Pacific Reef Egret, Power Station Beach, Lamma, and Black-crowned Night Heron, Discovery Bay (equal first)
Two very different experiences - the Pacific Reef Egret came at the end of a long and mostly birdless trek across Lamma Island in search of spring migrants. It was hunting the small fish drawn to the outfall from a manky stream and allowed me not only to get really close, but also several opportunities to get the settings right to take some BiF shots as it hunted. The Black-crowned Night Herons hang around the park five minutes walk from home. Like many park birds they are highly habituated to human disturbance and the bird in question allowed me within 10 metres as it wrapped up its last hunt as the sun rose. The Pallas's Gull gets an honourable mention, as do the Black-headed and Black-faced Buntings from San Tin (competing hard for the 2021 Birder's Bird award), the Japanese Paradise Flycatcher from Po Toi, and the Pygmy Wren Babbler from my old patch at Ng Tung Chai.

DSC01413 Black-crowned Night Heron @ DB.jpg

4) Best self-found bird - Pallas's Reed Bunting, San Tin (no pic)
While the Grey-headed Swamphen was the rarest, I'd seen one in the summer and a couple of others before in Hong Kong. Two other contenders - Hill Blue Flycatcher on Peng Chau and Black-headed Bunting at San Tin (pic below) - relied on judicious application of the "correct identification" principle - rule 6 in the Punkbirder Self found rules, and lacked the thrill of unexpected discovery that a proper self-found should deliver. I've chosen the Pallas's Reed Bunting at San Tin as much for the prelude - carrying on birding after I fell in a fishpond and killed my camera - as for the bird, an elegantly pale male, itself.

DSC02558 Black-headed Bunting @ San Tin bf.jpg

5) Best use of technology - Brown Fish Owl, Shek Mun Kap
Having had a largely disappointing series of 15 monthly night bird surveys - a 2-hour downhill walk between the Po Lin Monastery and Shek Mun Kap -I was delighted to confirm that an unknown call above Shek Man Kap on my January survey was indeed a Brown Fish Owl, by comparing the call with a one that was posted on Youtube from elsewhere in Hong Kong a few years earlier. The same post also shows a ridiculously distant and dodgy pic of a Eurasian Eagle Owl, the sonogram that enabled me to nail Brown Bush Warbler as a self found Lantau patch tick, which followed my shortest ever twitch the same day for a Pale-footed Bush Warbler just behind my block.

Bonus item 1 - Best non-bird wildlife moment
Burmese Pythons are Hong Kong's biggest snake. There's a spot in the northern NT where up to six have been seen on one day as they come out to enjoy the winter sunshine. Having seen them both this winter and last winter has been a real treat, but the best moment was digiscoping a rat's eye view of biggish python making its way in my direction.

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Thanks Pete. Being stuck in Hong Kong helped me to remember how much good birding there is in a pretty small area.

As for the python - Indeed not! I shot this segment through my telescope/iPhone from 10 or so metres away, enabling this clip from a safe distance that did not disturb the snake. They are pretty docile in winter and with no natural predators once they get this big they have plenty of confidence. Even the smaller ones I saw a couple of weeks ago were not worried by my presence.

Cheers
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back