• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Top 5 of 2021 (2 Viewers)

Mine were all lifers

1. Golden-winged Warbler: According to the Ohio annotated checklist, they are rare here. The downside was that I got a 2-second glimpse, just long enough to ID, then it was gone. So there was no time to savor it. But anyway, this makes No. 1 because warblers are awesome.

2. Common Gallinule: According to eBird, mine was the first and only sighting at the park where I saw it.

3. Blue-headed Vireo: Seen in a beautiful West Virginia forest. What makes this bird stand out though, was its weird song. Most of the time, it sang like the typical vireo song, with a few-second pause between each phrase. Then it occasionally sped up, and repeated the phrases one after each other, with a few harsher, call-like notes thrown in. I haven't found any discussion of this behavior elsewhere, so I fell privileged. Annoyingly, it took me about 5 minutes of staring up into the trees, following the song before I actually got a identifiable look at it.

4. Fox Sparrow: After shoveling off a elderly couple's driveway, a large flock of sparrows and other assorted birds came down to feed on bird seed spread on the ground. There was a Fox Sparrow among them, an uncommon bird for winter here. It was especially nice because I obviously wasn't expecting a lifer that day.

5. Orange-crowned Warbler: An uncommon migrant seen at my local patch.

Of course this list would likely change if I wrote it tomorrow.

I’ve birded something like 1200-1400 days in MX, Cen America and S America and still have not seen a Tiny Hawk 🤪I don’t believe in Tiny Hawks any more. Fake News! 🤣
Yeah,
I didn’t believe it existed either until I saw the light and became a convert 2 years ago at the La Selva bird count. took 14 years of looking though.
Clock’s still ticking (15 years and counting) on the bloody Rosy Thrush Tanager! Thats a fake bird if I ever didn’t see one.
Cheers,
Bryan

Attachments

• BE682F0A-A26F-4769-BE34-A8C2E4BB8B6F.jpeg
    BE682F0A-A26F-4769-BE34-A8C2E4BB8B6F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
I’ve birded something like 1200-1400 days in MX, Cen America and S America and still have not seen a Tiny Hawk 🤪I don’t believe in Tiny Hawks any more. Fake News! 🤣
I told the ornithologist in our department in passing I saw this bird (he does a lot of field ecology work in Central America). He had to stop by my office an entire day later to insist how lucky I was... :)

I told the ornithologist in our department in passing I saw this bird (he does a lot of field ecology work in Central America). He had to stop by my office an entire day later to insist how lucky I was... :)
It's the best feeling in the world to get a mega by accident in hindsight. Sure, you realize how great a bird is when you go chasing for it; but seeing one that you think it's just a fine bird, only for every other birder to be jealous of you makes you feel very lucky and very happy to know the weight of that lifer is off your back.

1. Isabelline Wheatear at East Linton, not a bird I ever thought I’d see in Scotland, a bird I learnt from too.

2. Grey Phalarope at Morrison’s Haven in Prestonpans, an old patch of mine delivers a wee cutie.

3. Glossy Ibis at Middleton Moor, one of my few trips outwith East Lothian, albeit just a wee jaunt into Midlothian, and only my 2nd one in Scotland.

4. Red-backed Shrike at Aberlady, the first I had seen in a while and another “learning” bird as it was a relatively late juvenile.

5. King Eider at Musselburgh, a first winter male and a first one in East Lothian for me.

I moved house a year ago so having Woodcock, Kingfisher, Spotted Flycatcher, Raven, Nuthatch and Jay, and otter, as I walk in the local countryside is excellent.

David

I'm going to have to stick a sixth into my top five and its more or less in the context of the pandemic: I reckon one of the things that has considerably helped my stability over the last year is the nightly game of "Guess who's coming to dinner?" waiting for my foxes to turn up. I've learned quite a bit about fox personalities, hierarchy, powers of recovery from injury, memory and learning, so take a bow Big Whitey (MIA after January this year having been displaced by a usurper after a three year run at the top); Scally (the usurper); mature vixen Rip; dog fox brothers Patch and Smudge; returning old boy Psycho; young vixen Hoppity and new enormous dog fox cub Jitter. Thank you very much all of you.

John

Despite what seemed like a very poor autumn this year delivered a patch year list record of 184 species, including 4 patch ticks and 14 additions to my British list.

1. Seawatching on my local patch, Whitburn Coastal Park, has included 3 Brunnich's Guillemots, 4 Fea's Petrels, 6 White-billed Divers, 2 Cory's & 2 Great Shearwaters, 5 Grey Phalaropes, 3 Sabine's Gulls and a probable Yelkouan Shearwater.

2. Black-browed Albatross, keep hoping to get it at Whitburn, but treated to great views at Bempton this year

3. A self-found Blyth's Reed Warbler on my patch singing away in early June.

4. Red-eyed Vireo on Holy Island, went there expecting to be lucky to get a good view and within 10 minutes of arrival had stunning views.

5. Black Stork at Frampton was walking around without any sign of it when it took off out of a ditch only 20m from me and flew right over me.

Attachments

• 0174 Great Shearwater 18.JPG
    0174 Great Shearwater 18.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • 0182 Yelkouan Shearwater 3.JPG
    0182 Yelkouan Shearwater 3.JPG
    525.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 0109 Black-browed Albatross 1.JPG
    0109 Black-browed Albatross 1.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 23
  • 0353 Black Stork 5.JPG
    0353 Black Stork 5.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • 8871 Red-eyed Vireo 1.JPG
    8871 Red-eyed Vireo 1.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 21
For Hawaii, did you do a tour or did you do it by yourself? I am planning on making my first Hawaii trip this summer, which I will be doing independently mostly, other than the required guides for places like Hakalau of course.
Hi Mysticite,

I did it as a tour, with Wildside. We had both a Wildside guide, Chris Brown, and a local guide, Mandy Talpas. Both were fantastic.

Mandy has all the permits for access. She even knows specific breeding territories for the endemics. If you need a local guide, she's the one to use!

All would come from a stellar trip to Brazil:

Red-billed Ground-Cuckoo
Rondonia Bushbird
Pale-faced Bare-eye
Cherry-throated Tanager
Jaguar (not so much a bird but still)

To be fair these are a few of the best birds of my life!!!
Those are some pretty special birds. I've seen the bushbird and a jaguar, but the other three are quite impressive. And the grouping on a single tour is outstanding.

Hi Mysticite,

I did it as a tour, with Wildside. We had both a Wildside guide, Chris Brown, and a local guide, Mandy Talpas. Both were fantastic.

Mandy has all the permits for access. She even knows specific breeding territories for the endemics. If you need a local guide, she's the one to use!
I am doing a Wildside tour next month to Los Angeles funny enough.

I looked into Mandy Talpas for guiding, however her tours are really really not economical for a solitary birder, especially tours away from Oahu.

A touch early but here goes.

1. Pink-footed Geese in North Norfolk - just the experience of hearing skeins flying overhead and in the fields.

2. Common Snipe - an early morning start at Balranald listening to them drumming away.

3. The garden on North Uist - had a very low male Hen Harrier over and a SEO hunting out the back. A Cuckoo was singing on arrival at 23:00.

4. Black-Browed Albatross- with my youngest and parents. A stunning bird at a stunning location.

5. Roseate Tern. This just edged out River Warbler as it was my 300th species. Beautiful day at Cemlyn. Good supporting cast of Elegant, Sandwich terns etc.

Rich

Do you think it likely that the albatross might become an annual visitor? If so I might plan a visit next year to see it. As I don't have a car it doesn't seem to be an easy place to get to so I might have to stay as near as possible and work out how to get there.

Top 5 for me:

1. Pectoral Sandpiper
2. Redstart (a great sighting at the Isle of May, my first visit since 2014 - it was the migrant small birds that really caught my eye that day. Good sightings of Bottlenose Dolphins on the way back to Anstruther too. In fact I'll class everything I saw on the Isle of May that day together because it was more the experience of being out somewhere after lockdown that made it such a special day)
3. Ring-necked Duck (spotted on a pond just outside Glasgow's west end, mingling easily with Tufted Ducks and so easy to watch)
4. Ruddy Shelduck (found this myself at Lochwinnoch)
5. Spoonbill (I did several laps of Hogganfield Loch before someone with a scope found it on the island let me have a look - my bins weren't powerful enough to have seen it)

Hogganfield Loch and Frankfield Loch are just north of the M8 in Glasgow and are becoming an increasingly important place to see unusual birds. They are well-watched by birders who report their sightings regularly. The Pectoral Sandpiper was seen at Frankfield Loch, and the Spoonbill at Hogganfield Loch. There's a woodland walk between the two lochs which itself has great potential for birds, although I think you need to work a bit harder to see anything.

I don't have a car. I'm sure lots of you birders were still able to go out birding to many places during the year, but when you're relying on public transport during a pandemic it makes you much more hesitant about going places.

Last edited:
Do you think it likely that the albatross might become an annual visitor? If so I might plan a visit next year to see it. As I don't have a car it doesn't seem to be an easy place to get to so I might have to stay as near as possible and work out how to get there.
Its not impossible. I don't know if there is accommodation in Bempton village but Bridlington is just down the road and you could taxi or bike hire from there I guess. Bempton is a good birding place even without the albatross.

John

Top 5
My top 5 sightings

1) Golden Eagle great view of a bird being harassed by a Buzzard and a Hooded Crow on the West Coast of Scotland
2) Iceland Gull in Ullapool Harbour, I love White Winged Gulls and this one was Beaut!!
3) Black-throated Diver ,close views of winter plumage bird at Eastbourne were slightly better than the 2 FSP in Scotland
4) Self-found Whinchat near where I live
5) The local Yellowhammers kept me going through lockdown and occasionally gave great views!!

Attachments

• 1 Golden Eagle.JPG
    1 Golden Eagle.JPG
    895.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 2 Iceland Gull.JPG
    2 Iceland Gull.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 3 Black-Throated Diver.JPG
    3 Black-Throated Diver.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 4 Whinchat.JPG
    4 Whinchat.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 5 Yellowhammer.JPG
    5 Yellowhammer.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 11
Its not impossible. I don't know if there is accommodation in Bempton village but Bridlington is just down the road and you could taxi or bike hire from there I guess. Bempton is a good birding place even without the albatross.

John
I agree with John. There’s every chance. We’ve stayed in Flamborough before John which is pretty close. I’d imagine the Filey bus must get fairly close to the lane down to Bempton. It’s honestly well worth a visit. And if you get there early you have the chance of Barn Owls near the visitor centre.

Rich

Last edited:
Going early on this thread with over a fortnight to go on a grey day when I have struggled to get myself going so a pick me up down the memories of 2021....

1. Sulphur-bellied Warbler, Lundy, Devon - 8th June - my first immediate reaction twitch having been lying low since March 2020. No hesitation. I had twitched Lundy the same day for Veery in spring 1997 and that had proven to be a one day bird. The fear was always going to be that this would follow suit. A few boats made it over on the day that Britain's first and the Western Palearctic's second Sulphur-bellied Warbler was found. A real feelgood twitch for me legging it up the hill into Millcombe Valley with a few in my wake having worked on my fitness during my hibernation. A day when I saw at least thirty friends that I had not seen for far far too long. As another boat strained to overtake us across a glassy Bristol channel amongst the auks and Manxies, life felt absolutely bloody fantastic for the first time in a very very long time. Still smiling....

2. Varied Thrush, Papa Westray, Orkney - 28th October - the autumn had passed uneventfully for me since early excitement with simply a couple of trips for birds that I had seen before in company with friends but mainly, I had been walking the patch. However, driving between the Penzance Sainsbury's and our holiday cottage near Land's End on 27th October during a week away with friends, time stood still briefly around 6.30pm when the pager read Varied Thrush on Papa Westray. Only one thing to do and that was to start heading north. The detail did not matter. It simply had to be done. Hopefully, things would work out. A drive, a flight and a taxi later, I was boarding a boat at Kirkwall shortly after 8.00am the following morning. News that the bird was still present had come through as we were landing at Kirkwall Airport. That flight simply contained ten of us heading for the same boat, a bemused stewardess and a couple of perplexed bystanders. We were at the forefront of the start of many a journey already underway or being planned. A sweaty hour and a half boat ride and a couple of miles walking were soon forgotten when the bird showed almost instantly on my arrival. The stuff of dreams being Britain's second and only the Western Palearctic's third. A tangerine dream to eclipse the odd monochrome historic record that was still receiving a raised eyebrow thirty years later. I had always thought that it could happen again and I had always been pretty sure that wherever it was, I was going to try to see it. But it is one thing to know that and another for it to happen and then to connect. This has renewed my optimism that at some point, I will fill my remaining holes on that list of historic rares.

3. Rufous Bushchat, The Lizard, Cornwall - 23rd August - I had sat on my hands throughout autumn 2020 with kick after kick to the solar plexus as rarity after rarity fell. Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Tennessee Warbler, Rufous Bushchat and Philadelphia Vireo would all have been ticks. The Bushchat was perhaps my most cautious decision being a British mainland bird. Over the months since deciding not to travel for that Norfolk bird, I had been convinced that it would fall again. All those low country records... In a piece of appalling positioning, I was standing outside The Emirates with no prospect of connecting before dark on 22nd August when news broke. A quick call to a friend based on The Lizard established that it was the eastern subspecies and he had seen it well so a clear "gripback" on the Norfolk bird rather than a future taxonomic complication. By 3.00am the next morning, I was getting some fitful sleep in the car with the brightest moon in the sky shining above. My only hope was that the bird would simply be embarrassed at migrating in such easy conditions. A few hours later, in the half light, the first clinching views were followed by a celebratory fist pump that should have triggered some embarrassment in a middle-aged man if I had any shame at all... Stunning views followed. This was the tenth British record so one of the commonest species I had not seen before. Massive emotions that day.

4. Northern Mockingbird, Exmouth, Devon - 29th March - early sightings of the Mockingbird and indeed any birding in the entirety of the previous year had been embroiled by recriminations, bitterness and division. This day was the day when for better or worse, most people felt more freedom to stand tall and enjoy being birding with less prospect of being attacked or cross-examined over their exact distance from home... My day had started at the American Herring Gull at Newlyn feeding it tuna whilst it perched on my foot in gloomy light and the Mockingbird was an ambitious diversion before returning home to Somerset for the weekly groceries delivery that afternoon. That had been my only shopping experience for the last year. The Mockingbird had been lost shortly before my arrival late morning but a bit of guesswork and positioning resulted in some lovely views in early spring sunshine on a front lawn in the short window available. This was a proper sighting that I really enjoyed. It was the third British record. My home county is Essex and I was twitching in spring 1988 so I knew pretty much everyone that had seen the suppressed bird of that year and some good friends turned it down. It seems that for various reasons, this is a species that will always have a place in the infamy of the British twitching scene. As one of the great philosophers once said, infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me... 🤣

5. Black-browed Albatross, Bempton, Yorkshire - 10th September - I had been wrestling with a desire to twitch the Black-browed Albatross but I rarely go for birds that I have seen before. A Green Warbler trapped the previous day at the same site provided the opportunity for three English ticks in a day - Green Warbler, Black-browed Albatross and White-tailed Lapwing - with a good friend who needed the Green Warbler. The Green Warbler was frustrating particularly as I had had good views of a bird that I had twitched on Unst in spring 2016 but I stuck it out long enough to get decent but brief views before being distracted away by the Albatross. The Albatross in contrast behaved brilliantly and it went well beyond my expectations with cracking flight views. I had recently got a new camera with which I struggled but nevertheless, being my first since the Hermaness bird in 1991 (dipped the previous year), it made it comfortably into my Top Five bird experiences of 2021 (heading off four patch ticks - Long-tailed Duck, Nightjar, Rose-coloured Starling and Glossy Ibis...). I will go back next year if it comes back.

In fact, well over 90% of my time this year was spent locally with birds, moths and other wildlife so I'll turn my mind to the 5 mile thread for 2021 now. I wouldn't want people thinking that I am "just" a crazy arse twitcher. 😂

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• 01 - Sulphur-bellied Warbler.jpg
    01 - Sulphur-bellied Warbler.jpg
    569.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 02 - Varied Thrush.jpg
    02 - Varied Thrush.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 03 - Rufous Bushchat.jpg
    03 - Rufous Bushchat.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 17
  • 04 - Northern Mockingbird.jpg
    04 - Northern Mockingbird.jpg
    600.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 05 - Black-browed Albatross.jpg
    05 - Black-browed Albatross.jpg
    503 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back