• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tyke Meet Late Winter 2011 (1 Viewer)

I am looking good(metaphorically:-O) for sun feb 13th though for all you lovers out there , remember the monday is for that special 'one'.!!!

we should do something 'unusual'....like Wintersett..and pick Pete up and go to Worlaby/Clumber etc..just athought!

I am looking good(metaphorically:-O) for sun feb 13th though for all you lovers out there , remember the monday is for that special 'one'.!!!

For a literal view on that, I'd recommend seeing a Doc, Doc....?
Ahem.....wasn't it a Monday when we met.............? :-O
Joe

Pity about the date, as a new "boy", I'd have liked to have met up with y'all. Maybe next time...?

So there seems to be a split forming here... so show of hands time folks
Wykeham and the coast on the one hand, or Wintersett and Worlaby
so cast you votes now

As I've never been to Wintersett or Worlaby I think I'll vote for them, but I'll go with the majority as always

Cheers John, I am expecting a postal order you know;)

Last edited:
The admission fee rules Clumber out for me. Like Keith I don't know Wintersett nor have I been to Worlaby. The latter has been excellent for raptors and owls this winter. Given my track record perhaps you could have a whip-round to encourage me to stay at home ;) Always good to visit new places.

FWIW my vote goes to Wykeham and the coast.

Last edited:
If you get to Clumber early there is no one on the gate to pay, entry gratis.

Surely Wintersett and Worlaby makes no sense? Travelling between the two would mean an hours daylight used up in the car. If going to Worlaby then Far Ings would make more sense.

Last edited:
If the general concensus ends up somewhere Wakefield-based I can get the train up to Wakey easily, though I wouldn't not say no to a lift from the station if anyone's swinging by that way (I can get to Pugneys by bus, but not sure about Wintersett).

One thing that Wintersett's got going for it is it's a stonesthrow from Anglers CP, Pugneys CP, Calder Wetlands and Bretton Lakes, and a good jumping off point should anything turn up on the day in West or South Yorkshire. It's not even that far to do the Ring-billed Gull in Mirfield if it's still around and things get quiet.

However I've not seen as many reports of good stuff around there as there was this time last year - I cleaned up with Smew, Ferruginous Duck, Ring-necked Duck, Red-necked Grebe, Great White Egret and Red-breasted Merganser in that area before February was out.

Well if that bird sticks I'm changing my vote to Wykeham

Come on guys..make a decision!! Don't care really re location....the crack and learning id stuff from others is most important aspect! As a group we we will find birds..anywhere!!
Oh and sorry, will promise not to find a SEO then scare it off!

Right Doc...
I'll go with Ken and vote for Wykeham, the Iceland gull has been back at Scaborough again today, as well as the shrike at Wykeham.
So meet up by the Harbour in Scarborough early doors for the gulls and then onto Wykeham for the shrike and possible raptor action, xbills etc then back to the coast Filey ? for waders later in the day.
Rough guess at the tide being high about lunchtime in Filey.

Last edited:
Isn't always more fun to chop and change until saturday night? :)

I'll probably twitch the LSW & Hawfinches b4 the 13th so raptors and waders is my choice.

Might even try Rainton this weekend.

Got a local Brambling whilst dog walking last weekend, cracking local tick.

Mark.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back