• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Typical March days offshore. (1 Viewer)

david r

This helps keep you together when at work !!!
19-3-03
A medium passage of birds A.M. what I managed to observe / count were a small flock of Dunlin like waders of approx. 60 with 4 large ducks.
1 Long eared owl, 1 Wood pigeon, 62 Blackbirds, 1 Robin, 45 Starlings, 1 Stonechat, 1 Skylark, 1 Siskin, 4 Goldcrests, 2 Chaffinches, 3 Song thrushes, 2 Woodcocks, 1 Gannet, 1 Puffin, 1 Water rail, 1 Little auk.

20-3-03
150 Starlings, 4 Blackbirds, 2 Robins, 3 Chaffinches, 7 Fulmar, 1 Lesser black backed gull, 3 Great black backed gulls,
Small flocks of birds passed throughout the day then at 15.30hrs 2 Sparrow hawks, 80 Lapwings, 5 Goldcrests, with more Robins
2 & Song thrushes 5 plus our resident Little auk.

Dave

Thats Brilliant david, Its great to know whats out at sea, How far from land is your platform? which way were the birds heading?
do they ever land for a Breather on your platform? can you do a regular report for us?

steve

Tammie thanks it goes with the job / Steve,
The unit I work on is approx. 190 miles from the nearest land which is Flambourgh head, though we are the same lat. as Edinburgh ( my home town xxx )
At this time of year the birds are heading to Scandanavia / Finlandia / Siberia which means they are travelling north & east.
The birds I manage to count are the ones that are having a breather and it will be no problem to post a trip report as i allready observe for the North Sea Bird Club.
Dave

What a great birding area, and they come to you!
Great diversity of birds, nice that you get at least one perk for long hours of work!
Looking forward to your reports. Any chance of pics for us land lovers?

That gives a whole new idea to watching birds. You never really think of the birds out there until they actually arrive on your shores. If it were possible a weekly, update would be great, especially throughout the migratory period.

I, for one, would love to see what is on the move in your area, together with the direction they are travelling.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back