• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unfortunate news: WildWings apparently will be no more... (1 Viewer)

pbjosh

missing the neotropics
Switzerland
Per a friend, and not personally confirmed, WildWings has gone into administration.

A real loss to the expedition / pelagic loving folks among us!

That’s really sad and would have broken John B-G’s heart I’m sure.

It’s incredibly depressing the number of wildlife tour operators/lodges etc that are folding or will fold as a result of Covid and the knock on effect that’s having on conservation. 😟

That’s really sad and would have broken John B-G’s heart I’m sure.

It’s incredibly depressing the number of wildlife tour operators/lodges etc that are folding or will fold as a result of Covid and the knock on effect that’s having on conservation. 😟
I just hope some (most) will be able to find funds to reopen once we again are able to travel. I for one am chomping at the bit to get out there.

Niels

I feel silly now as I just asked the question in another thread, as to if they were surviving.

I wonder how difficult it would be to resurect the business, expertise is still there in the form of the long serving staff and I assume that a loyal customer base remains to be picked up.

I noticed at least one company, Tropical Birding, has a whole set of tours for this year designed around COVID and reducing risk.

Also, speaking of companies that must be struggling, Caligo Ventures has to be hurting badly, since Asa Wright was sort of the centerpiece of their offerings, and they were the exclusive contractor for them. I saw on their facebook they have been doing a lot of work to arrange and network with new lodges and such in Trinidad, but I have to imagine its going to be hard to find a replacement. Especially if the land protected by Asa Wright ends up being closed off to casual birding.

I noticed at least one company, Tropical Birding, has a whole set of tours for this year designed around COVID and reducing risk.

Also, speaking of companies that must be struggling, Caligo Ventures has to be hurting badly, since Asa Wright was sort of the centerpiece of their offerings, and they were the exclusive contractor for them. I saw on their facebook they have been doing a lot of work to arrange and network with new lodges and such in Trinidad, but I have to imagine its going to be hard to find a replacement. Especially if the land protected by Asa Wright ends up being closed off to casual birding.
That's all very well but it assumes the opening up of travel and, the survival of certain air routes. My regular and only direct flight to St Petersburg in Russia on British Airways, has been permanently lost since Covid.

Realistically, after recent announcements I can't see the international travel market opening up at all in 2021 sadly. Quarantine is going to remain in place for a long time as nobody knows yet how much the vaccine reduces transmission. Sad times and they probably won't be the last. I can't even see when I am going to be able to operate again, even within the UK we are now looking at possibly not until summer and I am going to have to rely on the English border opening up also, as that's where around 80% of my clients are from.

Last edited:
Realistically, after recent announcements I can't see the international travel market opening up at all in 2021 sadly. Quarantine is going to remain in place for a long time as nobody knows yet how much the vaccine reduces transmission. Sad times and they probably won't be the last. I can't even see when I am going to be able to operate again, even within the UK we are now looking at possibly not until summer and I am going to have to rely on the English border opening up also, as that's where around 80% of my clients are from.
Bugger, I'll just have to spend more money on books ;)

I mean there are people still going on international trips, right at this moment. So while certain destinations might be off the map, I don't expect the present conditions to last into summer, for good or ill.

I mean there are people still going on international trips, right at this moment. So while certain destinations might be off the map, I don't expect the present conditions to last into summer, for good or ill.
While you're not wrong about some people still traveling, it is affecting many others, this past weekend I was planning a short trip to Ecuador to dip my toes into the region for future travels, but instead with the enforcements once again of forced quarantine even if you are negative combined with how travel is being treated for Florida residents. I honestly can't see many except those that are retired or work from home being fine to travel even outside of their home state in fear of the rapidly changing airfare and travel restrictions from Covid.

While you're not wrong about some people still traveling, it is affecting many others, this past weekend I was planning a short trip to Ecuador to dip my toes into the region for future travels, but instead with the enforcements once again of forced quarantine even if you are negative combined with how travel is being treated for Florida residents. I honestly can't see many except those that are retired or work from home being fine to travel even outside of their home state in fear of the rapidly changing airfare and travel restrictions from Covid.
We are currently 'forbiden' to travel abroad unless exceptional circumstances can be shown, I doubt that increasing your World list, will cut much mustard with immigration officials.

We are currently 'forbiden' to travel abroad unless exceptional circumstances can be shown, I doubt that increasing your World list, will cut much mustard with immigration officials.
presumably once the vaccine is being distributed to everyone this will change. I mean here stateside it's not projected to be widely available until April maybe (most pessimistic take is August). I would have to imagine most places in Europe, which have dealt with the virus better, should do better than us at vaccination. We've vaccinated about 50% of the 65 and over crowd in my county, and as an educator I will be in the next batch.

Sad but true, at this point I'm just glad my backup trip around my home state (Florida) gave me two lifers in the first quarter of the year.

presumably once the vaccine is being distributed to everyone this will change. I mean here stateside it's not projected to be widely available until April maybe (most pessimistic take is August). I would have to imagine most places in Europe, which have dealt with the virus better, should do better than us at vaccination. We've vaccinated about 50% of the 65 and over crowd in my county, and as an educator I will be in the next batch.
Ah, but then we have people who are resisting the production of 'vaccination passports' which I think are inevitable before we open up fully. Even our Minister, responsible for the vaccination programme, has called such a scheme 'discriminatory'?

Important business trips are allowed everywhere. If someone is rich enough to own a company and claims it is very important for his company to travel to Ecuador, then he can travel to Ecuador. If he will not post selfies with a giant tortoise on Facebook, he will be fine.

Ah, but then we have people who are resisting the production of 'vaccination passports' which I think are inevitable before we open up fully. Even our Minister, responsible for the vaccination programme, has called such a scheme 'discriminatory'?
Even then, things will probably open up fully, even if mask mandates and increased sanitary measures are in place, by the end of summer

Only for reasons such as family or business I'd think. There are still some big gaps in data which are needed, 1. How long does the vaccine actually remain effective, 2) How much does it reduce transmission as you can still carry Covid. Until these are known I can't see things changing much.

Only for reasons such as family or business I'd think. There are still some big gaps in data which are needed, 1. How long does the vaccine actually remain effective, 2) How much does it reduce transmission as you can still carry Covid. Until these are known I can't see things changing much.
Oh no, I definitely know people who have done full blown birding trips, and other people planning them. There are plenty of places which are more concerned about tourist revenue than the virus.

Oh no, I definitely know people who have done full blown birding trips, and other people planning them. There are plenty of places which are more concerned about tourist revenue than the virus.
The rules must be different in the States to what they are in the UK. International birding trips are impossible from the UK without breaking the law.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back