• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (21 Viewers)

Regret no Owls or Crakes on my shift, not even a fly over Black-tailed Godwit! I left Dave Grundy to it at 3 O clock because of commitments this AM. There were several Bats hawking the causeway for the moths we were lighting up but I could not get anything on them, not even size, they were flying quite high.

I ran 2 x 125mv skinner traps which caught 270 moths. Dave ran five traps 3 x 125mv skinners, a 60w actinic skinner and a 15w actinic skinner. I am waiting for Dave to email me his results. As of 3 O clock though we had jointly recorded 110 species of which nine are new for Upton Warren. They included a migrant Dark Sword Grass (which I have only previously seen on Scilly) and two pretty moths Antler Moth and Peach Blossom. We were joined by three stalwart birders who I think enjoyed themselves, and at least one was still there when I left!

I will finalise this posting when I hear from Dave.

John

John

Thanks for your efforts and glad it stayed dry. I and 12 others were able to view both yours and Dave Grundy's efforts at Wychbold Club, on Dave Grundy's Wetland Moth's course(highly recommended) I like you had not seen dark sword grass outside Scilly. Some great moths and look forward to your report. Thanks again.

Vern has just refound the willow tit. On the southern bank of the sailing pool. On the feeding station behind the small pool.

There was a pager message just before 3pm which reported it between the Hen Pool and Feeding Station. Its either very mobile or there may be two birds .....

There was a pager message just before 3pm which reported it between the Hen Pool and Feeding Station. Its either very mobile or there may be two birds .....

The Willow Tit was feeding on sunflower hearts on the feeders maintained by the sailing centre behind the canoe practice pool. Seen well for over an hour by a dozen or more people. Classic adult Willow Tit showing bull neck features and a pale wing panel heard calling its diagnostic Chick-A-Dee type call for long periods. Don't know where this bird has come from but it is obviously used to feeding on feeders. Its reaction to tape song made it unlikely there was more than just the one bird. Vern took some great photos.

Meant to mention that last night before starting mothing did a bit of birding with John Ridley and Andy Pitt and we spotted a ringed adult Lesser Black Backed Gull at 19.05 before it flew south. It had a small metal ring on its right leg and on its left a black ring with red lettering and the letters HYY. Do you want me to chase this up?

John

The Willow Tit was feeding on sunflower hearts on the feeders maintained by the sailing centre behind the canoe practice pool. Seen well for over an hour by a dozen or more people. Classic adult Willow Tit showing bull neck features and a pale wing panel heard calling its diagnostic Chick-A-Dee type call for long periods. Don't know where this bird has come from but it is obviously used to feeding on feeders. Its reaction to tape song made it unlikely there was more than just the one bird. Vern took some great photos.

Meant to mention that last night before starting mothing did a bit of birding with John Ridley and Andy Pitt and we spotted a ringed adult Lesser Black Backed Gull at 19.05 before it flew south. It had a small metal ring on its right leg and on its left a black ring with red lettering and the letters HYY. Do you want me to chase this up?

John

Hi John - what times was the Willow Tit on show from/to? Any objections if I follow up the LBBG; I am trying to ensure there is just a single point of contact of ringed birds at Upton which will aid further feedback

Lesser Kestrel should have information relating to the original location of the Willow Tit mid-afternoon, which was near the Larches?boardwalk to the Flashes and the messages sent out. I think only one bird is involved.

Des.

Today's highlights:

FLASHES/SAILING CENTRE:
Willow Tit on feeders by small Sailing Centre pool. Vern was trying to get images to establish that it was the same bird as last weekend.

Cuckoo (juv) being fed by Reed Warbler, although there was a claim by a nearby birder that the Cuckoo was fed by a female Blackcap as well.

Avocet (7)-----------------Green Sand (11)
LRP (2)--------------------Dunlin (2)
Curlew (18)----------------Common Sand (3)
Lapwing (27)---------------Snipe (1)
Garden Warbler-------------Lesser Whitethroat
Whitethroat----------------Swift (22)
Little Owl------------------Chiffchaff (juv)
Sedge Warbler-------------G C Grebe (juv)

MOORS:

Common Tern (7 ad+ 2juvs + 2chicks)
G C Grebe (4) + 3chicks-----Mute Swan + 5 juvs
Cormorant (1)--------------Herring Gull (2 ad)
Rook (22)------------------Gadwall (2)

Des.

The willow tit was with a mixed flock of tits by the larch trees. Though mobile, it was seen several times. Later, the same mixed flock of tits was active in shrub by the feeding station hide but flew off when disturbed by a cuckoo; not the one that was subsequently photographed being fed by a couple of reed warblers.
In the same area, there was garden warbler, blackcap, common whitethroat and several chiffchaffs. Along the hedgerow a willow warbler was reported.
Late afternoon I was told by a couple they'd been watching a willow tit on the feeders in the south west corner of the canoe (small) pool. This bird was active for at least an hour and was with a mixed flock flock of tits and bullfinches.

I rest my case, m'lud.

Last edited:
Hi John - I have struggled to find a LBBG ringing scheme that matches your description; could it potentially be orange lettering on a dark blue ring as per this photo: http://www.cr-birding.org/node/1172

This is an Evesham based scheme from which we have previously recorded ringed gulls.

Yes that is it, just as in the photo, red on black as I said - is everyone else colour blind? Evesham eh, not exactly come that far has it.

Re the willow tit at the canoe practice pool it was already on view when we arrived at about 17.10 and we heard it calling at 18.05 from the hedgerow which leads away from the pool up to the A38 when Des, Mike Inskip, Bob Power and I left.

John

Yes that is it, just as in the photo, red on black as I said - is everyone else colour blind? Evesham eh, not exactly come that far has it.

Re the willow tit at the canoe practice pool it was already on view when we arrived at about 17.10 and we heard it calling at 18.05 from the hedgerow which leads away from the pool up to the A38 when Des, Mike Inskip, Bob Power and I left.

John

Thanks John - looks like one very mobile Willow Tit; perhaps that explains why it wasnt see again on Saturday or Monday and yesterday. We will have to reinstate the Flashes feeding station early at this rate! :t:

Ringed LBBG

Thought the code HYY was familar - this Lesser Black-backed Gull was noted at the Flashes on the 4th October 2011 (with a blue ring 8-P). The bird was hatched in 2006 before being ringed at Gloucester land-fill on the 24th April 2010. I will see if its been recorded elsewhere in the intervening period.

Thanks John - looks like one very mobile Willow Tit; perhaps that explains why it wasnt see again on Saturday or Monday and yesterday. We will have to reinstate the Flashes feeding station early at this rate! :t:

Tony h has just put two feeders up at our flashes feeding station. They have been filled with sun flower hearts. Could anyone visiting, check out the feeders and let us know if the willow tit uses the feeders.B :)

Last edited:
couple of pics from today THANKS Tony H for the tip off. Had a good 5 hrs photographing/Birding today cuckoo juv and Willow Tit showing really well just shows that Upton Warren is a very special place loads of birds and visitors today

Attachments

• cuckoo 4_6173.jpg
    cuckoo 4_6173.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 135
  • cuckoo 3 _6174.jpg
    cuckoo 3 _6174.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 128
A photo from today of the Willow Tit and Linnet

Attachments

• Willoww Tit A IMG_3734.jpg
    Willoww Tit A IMG_3734.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 144
  • Linnet IMG_3643.jpg
    Linnet IMG_3643.jpg
    400.2 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
July ended on exactly 100 species; 105-110 should be possible in August (esp if the Willow Tit and Cuckoo linger) including potential for several new for the year - Garganey, Little Stint, Sandwich Tern, Spotted Redshank, Curlew Sandpipe, Yellow-legged Gull etc.

Lets see if Adrian (edit: and Vern) can get us off to a good start today :t:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back