• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (12 Viewers)

The Flashes:
Earlier in the day Janette, had texted me that there were 17 avocets at the Flashes so there were 32 in total (15 moors), I counted 33 later in the afternoon, but there were 4 on the Moors 20 minutes earlier. Juvenile LRP's were still on the move and today we had 6 all of them in the same zone as the brood of 2 avocets the parents of which tolerated them. Lapwing had increased again, but they are probably the same birds as last week and feeding locally. The three broods of avocet are still all intact. Although the youngest brood of 4 (8 days old) have moved from the 'north saucer' area, to the meadow shore line in front of the sewage works. Whether this is because of better feeding or less disturbance we will never know. But the brood of 2 (10 days old) have now moved into their vacated zone, so maybe they were forced out. The old brood of 3 (12 days) are still feeding along the 'gully'.

Species count Flashes
Teal 1, mallard 100+, tufted 2, Avocet 33 adults ( poss 37 if the 4 were still on the Moors) + 9 chicks, Curlew 24, LRP 9 (6 juvs), snipe 2, lapwing 133 (+ 26 moors), green sand 8, common sand ( 1 juv + 1 ad), oystercatcher pr + 1 chick 6 days old.
BHG c120, LBBG 1 flew off rapidly after coming under attack from the avocets.
stock dove 12, reed warbler several still singing, linnet 8, pied wag 2, reed bunting 3 singing.

Hi, I'm from outside the area and was hoping to visit Upton Warren tomorrow, early AM. Is access available from 0730 or so? I've read some site info, but not sure of my bearings at all, so if a guy was mostly interested in the waders, would the scrape (east side of the area ??) be the best place to spend some time?

Thanks

Hi, I'm from outside the area and was hoping to visit Upton Warren tomorrow, early AM. Is access available from 0730 or so? I've read some site info, but not sure of my bearings at all, so if a guy was mostly interested in the waders, would the scrape (east side of the area ??) be the best place to spend some time?

Thanks

Hi ya
The reserve is open all day. The best area for waders is the Flashes. East side of the Moors (Amy's marsh) is not the best area for waders at the moment. The Flashes are reached by parking in the 'private' car park of the sailing centre. The mornings are not the best for viewing the Flashes as the sun can be in your eyes at times. Although most of the waders are quite close so it shouldn't be too bad.
You will need to get a permit or if you are a member of a county wildlife trust just carry your card. Permits are available at the sailing centre (after 9am) if no wardens on site. Have a good day, one of our wardens Des should be about tomorrow.:t:

Thanks

The best area on the reserve at present is the Flashes (furthest of the three hides) or possibly the east side of the Moors Pool. Check out the Site Guides link on the attached.

http://www.worcesterbirding.co.uk/worcestershire_bird_news_60.html

Anyone got any idea on this. About 8.30 tonight over Moors. Brown body about size of BHG carrying a fish by the looks of it.
Sorry about quality of pic but v high and fast.
Cheers
Rich

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 106
Anyone got any idea on this. About 8.30 tonight over Moors. Brown body about size of BHG carrying a fish by the looks of it.
Sorry about quality of pic but v high and fast.
Cheers
Rich

common tern Rich, they can have a pink wash to the belly and with the sun going down this could accentuate the colour making it look darker. Still got your report kid;)

Hi ya
The reserve is open all day. The best area for waders is the Flashes. East side of the Moors (Amy's marsh) is not the best area for waders at the moment. The Flashes are reached by parking in the 'private' car park of the sailing centre. The mornings are not the best for viewing the Flashes as the sun can be in your eyes at times. Although most of the waders are quite close so it shouldn't be too bad.
You will need to get a permit or if you are a member of a county wildlife trust just carry your card. Permits are available at the sailing centre (after 9am) if no wardens on site. Have a good day, one of our wardens Des should be about tomorrow.:t:

The best area on the reserve at present is the Flashes (furthest of the three hides) or possibly the east side of the Moors Pool. Check out the Site Guides link on the attached.

http://www.worcesterbirding.co.uk/worcestershire_bird_news_60.html

Cheers, thanks for the info

Nice one Rich...looks like you both got what you wanted......is that the perch at the end of the channel...miles away....lol

Keith :t:

Had "quite a few" 4 spots on North Moors seasonal the other Sunday.....thought I had commented.....also a couple or three of Broad Bodied Chaser Males along with Male and Female Black Tailed Skimmers.
Hundreds of Damsels and as leaving a giant Brown Hawker was buzzing around.
While I was quietly waiting for all above I was twice visited by a flock of young L.T.Tits that came so close I got pics with the tube on the 400 mm....thats close.
Keith

Sorry for not putting them on at the time ...22nd June......also there was a pair of Emperors with at least one other Male trying to butt in.

Also got this little vid of the Female Black Tailed Skimmer ovipositing...........

https://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05/14460304086/

Attachments

• B1.jpg
    B1.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 94
  • B 2.jpg
    B 2.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 84
  • B6.jpg
    B6.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 89
  • B7.jpg
    B7.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 97
  • B8.jpg
    B8.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Also went around the Flashes sometime about 7 pm .....no one else there.

Attachments

• B 9.jpg
    B 9.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 107
  • B 3.jpg
    B 3.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 114
  • B 4.jpg
    B 4.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 108
  • B 5.jpg
    B 5.jpg