• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (123 Viewers)

Also Yellow Wagtail at the Flashes today as per Vern - hopefully the next few weeks will see a decent return passage of this declining species, including juveniles.

The weather at the weekend - particularly Saturday - looks like it could have potential to turn up something interesting: hot humid conditions combined with thundery rain and easterly winds :t:

Yellow wag from the flashes today (record shot)
I also photographed the Kingy and Common tern you guessed it there on Flickr

Attachments

• yw uw rs _0216.jpg
    yw uw rs _0216.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Flashes work party programme 2014/15

I know its only mid July but thought are already turning to the work party schedules for later in the year at both the Moors Pool and Flashes.

Please find set out below the proposed programme of activities for the Flashes; any comments or recommendations gratefully received:-

OCTOBER
• Dredge feeding channels / reprofile bays whilst water is at its lowest (targeted areas based on feeding activity noted in autumn)
• Pile spoil from dredging up to create more higher ground spits - targeted areas would be 'archipelago' to left of hide and the main 'hide' channel in front (the delta area was done last year as part of a three year rota for dredging)
• Graduate the near banks of the delta to aid views and provide feeding zones as well as assist in salt marsh expansion.

NOVEMBER
• Any further work required to complete October’s worklist
• Prepare the feeding station for winter
• Scrub management between Hen Pool and feeding station

DECEMBER
• Remove blackthorn thicket on east shore of 2nd Flash (need Trust to flail it first) and any other dense areas of undergrowth abutting fox fence
• Remove the scrub starting to spread on the high ground south of second Flash

JANUARY
• Sectional cut of Hen Pool reedbed to reinvigorate new growth. This will assist in providing a better overview and understanding of the Hen Pool and its immediate surroundings which will inform any further reprofiling / dredging / hide relocation scheme.
• Clearance work to Hen Brook plus widening of banks at points restricted by tree growth

FEBRUARY
• Main check of fox-proof fence
• Improve / protect Shelduck boxes
• Remodelling of breeding islands based on observations of last few summers
• Refurbish the fox fence in the 'Archipelago' using weld mesh. In this area the salt has eaten into the fox fence and it is breaking up. We have repaired it many times, so the intention is to replace

MARCH
• Follow-up check fox fencing plus any required repairs
• Cut grassland in front of hide as required
• Remove encroaching phragmites from foreshore
• Any strimming of reed-beds (dependent on the nature of the Trust’s phragmites control plan for 201)

INPUT REQUIRED FROM THE TRUST
• Install new lockable sluice system with safe working area (timetabled for August)
• Remove willow in danger of falling into the Hen Brook between the Hen Pool Hide and bridge
• Manage the large willow trees by the feeding station
• Flail the blackthorn scrub opposite the hide
• New delivery of clean shingle in time for February work party
• Purchase of “weld mesh” fencing

Vern and Jarad just had Red kite at moors . 2 little egrets earlier

Just to highlight the ever increasing occurrence of this expanding species, I attach a little chart (just for you Pete E ;)) of Red Kite sightings in recent years since it was first observed at Upton Warren in 1996:

Attachments

• Red Kite.jpg
    Red Kite.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 84
Last night

Late I know, but I was knackered.

Moors Pool highlights - Common Tern 12+ adults, two fledged juvs and one chick noted in right hand raft, Common Gull 2nd summer with BHGs on east island, Water Rail on Snipe Island, Oystercatcher pair with juv plus one additional adult.

Flashes highlights - Avocet 21 adults and fledged juvs plus all nine of the recently hatched chicks, Oystercatcher pair plus one chick, LRP seven inc. four juvs, Green Sand 5, Common Sand 2, Curlew 11, Shelduck 2, Teal 2. Common Gull from Moors came in to join BHG roost.

Large yellowish moth outside tower hide when I left at 10.00 pm - possible Oak Eggar or maybe Drinker? Didn't have great views and I think it ended up as spider fodder.

Today at the reserve

On approaching the hide everything had took to the skies in a mass panic. I Rushed into the hide to find the source of the problem, but I couldn't see the cause. But the Flashes were empty other than the chicks. Slowly parents began to return to their chicks and things began to settle down. A moderate easterly kept things a bit cooler at the Flashes. But leaving the hide was like walking into a sauna.

After the overnight storms I expected to see an increase in the water level, but it hadn't risen 1mm. However the previously dry archipelago and hide channels as well as the southern rim of the saucer, were now freshened up and wet. The parent avocets in the 'saucer' are allowing LRP's and common sands to feed close to their chicks. But the two broods in the 'gully' in front of the meadow, do not tolerate anything close to their chicks. Luckily the blackwit dropped onto the east shore of the 2nd Flash, which is an Avocet free zone. Although there were the same number of LRP's as last night, the composition of adults and juvs was different. But generally species and numbers were the same as recent days.
Species count FLASHES
Teal 9, gadwall, shoveler fem. mallard 140 + 2 fresh broods. Tufted 1 only. Coot 20 + 2 juvs, Avocet 8 ads, 5 juvs and 9 chicks. (10 on Moors), Oystercatcher pr + chick, LRP 7(5 ads+ 2 juvs), green sand 11, common sand 2, lapwing 20, curlew 20, Black tailed godwit summer plumaged islandic, BHG c50 only 4 or 5 broods left un fledged, LBBG several attempted to land were repelled by the parent avocets. green woodpecker 2, stock dove 20+, skylark. swallow 2, reed warbler several singing and feeding in all the reed beds, sedge warbler singing west hedgerow, starling flock 9 pretty unusual at the moment, linnet 10+, reed bunting 5 pairs at least around Flashes,

It was good to see that infrequent visitor Rob P:t: and as usual he managed to pick up additional species after I left. Redstart fem and juv to south of main hide by metal gate and a snipe.B :)

On to the Moors for a couple of hours to update the breeding survey. Peter E, Bob P and Keith M filled me in on the numbers and species, making it easier for me. Having heard about the demise of the juvenile little grebe on the Broadmeadow pool, I was determined to find the other juvs. Thankfully I found some at the north end of the Moors pool. All 7 common tern juv/chicks were good, as were the 10 shoveler chicks. The summer plumaged dunlin on the pool island was the 10 wader of the day.

Species count MOORS
GCG 1, cormorant 2, greylag 10, mute swan pr + 6 cygnets, shoveler fem + 10 ch, tufted at least 13 broods a fresh one with 5 chicks, oystercatcher 3 (2 ad + juv), dunlin, lapwing 12, avocet 7 (10 earlier), coot 120+ (incl juvs), common tern 11 ads and broods of juvs 2:1:1 and chicks of 1:2.

LITTLE GREBE:
adult - SW marsh
adult NE corner of Moors pool holding territory and chasing a neighbouring adult.
adult + 2 juvs NE corner of Moors
Juv alone in north of Moors pool.
B :)

On approaching the hide everything had took to the skies in a mass panic. I Rushed into the hide to find the source of the problem, but I couldn't see the cause. But the Flashes were empty other than the chicks. Slowly parents began to return to their chicks and things began to settle down. A moderate easterly kept things a bit cooler at the Flashes. But leaving the hide was like walking into a sauna.

After the overnight storms I expected to see an increase in the water level, but it hadn't risen 1mm. However the previously dry archipelago and hide channels as well as the southern rim of the saucer, were now freshened up and wet. The parent avocets in the 'saucer' are allowing LRP's and common sands to feed close to their chicks. But the two broods in the 'gully' in front of the meadow, do not tolerate anything close to their chicks. Luckily the blackwit dropped onto the east shore of the 2nd Flash, which is an Avocet free zone. Although there were the same number of LRP's as last night, the composition of adults and juvs was different. But generally species and numbers were the same as recent days.
Species count FLASHES
Teal 9, gadwall, shoveler fem. mallard 140 + 2 fresh broods. Tufted 1 only. Coot 20 + 2 juvs, Avocet 8 ads, 5 juvs and 9 chicks. (10 on Moors), Oystercatcher pr + chick, LRP 7(5 ads+ 2 juvs), green sand 11, common sand 2, lapwing 20, curlew 20, Black tailed godwit summer plumaged islandic, BHG c50 only 4 or 5 broods left un fledged, LBBG several attempted to land were repelled by the parent avocets. green woodpecker 2, stock dove 20+, skylark. swallow 2, reed warbler several singing and feeding in all the reed beds, sedge warbler singing west hedgerow, starling flock 9 pretty unusual at the moment, linnet 10+, reed bunting 5 pairs at least around Flashes,

It was good to see that infrequent visitor Rob P:t: and as usual he managed to pick up additional species after I left. Redstart fem and juv to south of main hide by metal gate and a snipe.B :)

So that's a male, female and juv Redstart in the last few day's.

Des.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back