• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (132 Viewers)

Just a couple of things to add to Mattgibbs update -

Sparrowhawk - (1) over the flashes
Curlew - (10) in the field next sewage works (later returned to grass in front of Sewage works)
Buzzard - (3) over flashes
Lapwing - (50+) in field with the sheep at flashes
Redwing - large flock of around (30+) on Webbs garden centre grass by car park
G,S Woodpecker - (1 x pair) in the North Moors area just behind the first bench by life styles entrance
Redpoll - (7) on feeders at Life styles (no siskin seen)

Birds heard but not seen -

Cetti's warbler (2) along west path
Black cap (1) - Secret garden
Goldcrest - by entrance to flashes on the left of the steps

It was also great to talk to Mattgibbs it's great when you can put faces to names hope to speak to you soon maybe at Sandwell.

Moors Pool early this afternoon.

A few stills from my videos at the Lapwing Hide

Attachments

• 01-24-2015_120436(17).jpg
    01-24-2015_120436(17).jpg
    108 KB · Views: 128
  • 01-24-2015_133423(15).jpg
    01-24-2015_133423(15).jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 01-24-2015_125319(2).jpg
    01-24-2015_125319(2).jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 130
Flashes work party - 1st February

The penultimate work party of the year will take place next Sunday (1st February). The priority work will be that likely to cause the greatest disturbance, given the probable return of Avocet by the March event. Luckily the removal of the cattle this week gives us much more freedom in working out on the Flashes. Tasks will therefore include:-

- A thorough flush of all vegetation and reedbeds to ensure no foxes are trapped inside the Flashes
- Mending the two large tears in the fox fence on the eastern boundary and the removal of any stumps that could create cattle "rub points" close to the fence line
- Repairing the three small holes in the fox fence on the western side just north of the hide
- Ensuring the sight lines from the hide aren't impeded by the blackthorn
- Clearing the main breeding islands of vegetation
- Some further scrub management work near the feeding station
- A check of the Hen Brook to ensure there are no major obstructions

Some of these tasks can wait until March if we run out of time; the grazing of the cattle and the dropping of ground level has meant that the extensive strimming traditionally undertaken on the March work party is now a thing of the past.

John is otherwise engaged next Sunday so you are left in my (in)capable hands. Please meet at the Sailing Centre car park at 10am (will post on here if we get news that the car park will be open earlier); the usual refreshments of squash and biscuits will be provided, plus what ever cakes are kindly brought along.

Dave J's morning update:

2 Little Egrets, Jack Snipe, 2 Gadwall, 4 Redpoll, 4 Shelduck, 4 Pochard - Upton Warren, Moors Pool

Not much to add to this apart from Shelduck increasing to 7 by early afternoon - I did see three heading from the direction of the flashes as I walked round the Sailing pool late morning and wondered if they were in addition to the four already present. Water Rails again much in evidence and Cetti's Warblers were calling from both sides of the Moors Pool.

Not much to add to this apart from Shelduck increasing to 7 by early afternoon - I did see three heading from the direction of the flashes as I walked round the Sailing pool late morning and wondered if they were in addition to the four already present.

That might be another task for the March work party - rebuilding the Shelduck boxes (on the assumption the cattle aren't returning). Personally I would go with one much further forward in the sewage work meadow (say within 10 metres of the shoreline) rather than back against the fence line - thoughts anyone?

That might be another task for the March work party - rebuilding the Shelduck boxes (on the assumption the cattle aren't returning). Personally I would go with one much further forward in the sewage work meadow (say within 10 metres of the shoreline) rather than back against the fence line - thoughts anyone?

As long as there are not cattle dancing on the mounds I don't think it matters too much as long as they are inside the perimeter fence. Other than that no strong opinion either way really. Closer to the water may benefit the chicks at the business end of the breeding, i.e. closer to the water. But they did breed, or attempt to breed, in Sagebury farm yard a few years back so a longish journey to water is not a deterrent.

As long as there are not cattle dancing on the mounds I don't think it matters too much as long as they are inside the perimeter fence. Other than that no strong opinion either way really. Closer to the water may benefit the chicks at the business end of the breeding, i.e. closer to the water. But they did breed, or attempt to breed, in Sagebury farm yard a few years back so a longish journey to water is not a deterrent.

They did breed outside the 'fence' last year, but the two chicks that were on the 3rd flash didn't last long. The female was almost certainly killed by a fox 'outside', as the pair were seen fronting a fox shortly before the two chicks appeared. Unfortunately the female was never seen again and the male didn't really have any parental instincts.:-C
So I think trying to entice them anywhere 'inside' , would be the best thing to do. :t:

Tuesday a busy day

Not only will our regular Tuesday crew be out on Amy's marsh, but the power company are visiting the SW marsh in the afternoon. They will be walking out on to Amy's marsh, to plan how to fit the deflectors on the cables. These will be fitted if all looks well next Tuesday.
Also the contractors will be continuing the Moors improvement work and the west track will be closed.
Sorry for the inconvenience, but all this work will benefit both us and the wildlife in the long term.B :)John

Not only will our regular Tuesday crew be out on Amy's marsh, but the power company are visiting the SW marsh in the afternoon. They will be walking out on to Amy's marsh, to plan how to fit the deflectors on the cables. These will be fitted if all looks well next Tuesday.
Also the contractors will be continuing the Moors improvement work and the west track will be closed.
Sorry for the inconvenience, but all this work will benefit both us and the wildlife in the long term.B :)John

when will the tern rafts be brought in John ?

The Tuesday work party

The best show of the season with 18 of us even with a few of the regulars missing, also 2 newbies Mary and Neil.
This meant that we were able to cut and remove the 100's of alders and willows that were covering the shore lines of the lagoon, the southern half of the Broadmeadow pool and in and around the season pool. The cuttings were piled behind the southern boundary fence.
The reason for this work: is to encourage more waders to feed in these areas and to stop the drying out of the marsh in the Broadmeadow. The added problem of the 'enclosed' effect will now be removed, as will be the predator perches.

The crew Bob P, Bob O, Bob R, Ray C, Dave H, Terry W, John C, Tony B, Keith M, Jim, Tony H, Roger, Nick, Charles, Peter, Mary, Neil and me.

Photos
1. before work looking over the Broadmeadow with Lagoon at back, taken from East hide.
2. The Lagoon before work
3. the lagoon after work
4. same as pic 1 but after the work
5. the crew

Attachments

• 1. B4 WRK lagoon treesDSCF5039.jpg
    1. B4 WRK lagoon treesDSCF5039.jpg
    536 KB · Views: 151
  • 2.B4 wrk lagoDSCF5050.jpg
    2.B4 wrk lagoDSCF5050.jpg
    642.2 KB · Views: 126
  • 3. Afta wrk lagDSCF5054.jpg
    3. Afta wrk lagDSCF5054.jpg
    592.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 4.afta distance view DSCF5117.jpg
    4.afta distance view DSCF5117.jpg
    601.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 5 The crewDSCF5076.jpg
    5 The crewDSCF5076.jpg
    489.8 KB · Views: 158
Birding at Moors

Species count:
GCG 3, Little grebe 4, cormorant 28, mute swan 3, Little egret, grey heron, shoveler 39 (27 males), Teal 65, gadwall pr, shelduck 6, Pochard 11 (8 male), tufted 24, coot 255, water rail 6 east side, snipe 60, lapwing 20, curlew 10, BHG 50, kestrel 2, buzzard, green woodp, great sp woodp drumming, kingfisher, song thrush 2 singing, fieldfare 95, redwing 3, cettis w 3, redpoll 2, bullfinch 2, goldcrest, grey wag,

contract work

The bittern channels along the west track are still being worked on.

The first 2 pics show the view of the the 'parallel track' channel
the 3rd shows the pool side channel as seen from the east hide.

Attachments

• 6. contract workDSCF5114.jpg
    6. contract workDSCF5114.jpg
    922.1 KB · Views: 142
  • 7 contract wrk DSCF5113.jpg
    7 contract wrk DSCF5113.jpg
    777.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 8. channel from east hideDSCF5041.jpg
    8. channel from east hideDSCF5041.jpg
    502.3 KB · Views: 136
the 3rd shows the pool side channel as seen from the east hide.[/QUOTE]

I will post some more progress shots tomorrow John.

Des.

the 3rd shows the pool side channel as seen from the east hide.

I will post some more progress shots tomorrow John.

Des.[/QUOTE]

cheers Des....Yesterday I took a load more photos around the eadt side of the North Moors. There are now some grest areas of marsh habitat. When all is completed I will draw a map of the main feature and potential benefits. :t:

News from the Biking Birder 2015.

Hi everyone!

I have now got to Portsmouth and would like you to say what you think these are. At first I thought they were red-necked grebes but I'm not sure. The bills don't have any yellow base that I can discern.

These would be a just reward for a five mile walk along the seawall around Thorney island to get to Pilsey island RSPB reserve.

I am now on 125 for the year.:t: (maybe 126 what do you think?)

Hope everything is going well at the Warren.

all the best to the best.

Gary bikingbirder2015.blogspot.com

Attachments

• red necked.jpg
    red necked.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Today's highlights:

MOORS:
Shelduck (6)-------------------Shoveler (38)
Pochard (8m+1f)--------------Teal (61)
Gadwall (2 pairs)--------------Tufted Duck (31)
Curlew (10)--------------------Snipe (11)
G C Grebe (3)------------------Little Grebe (4)
Cormorant (35)----------------Kingfisher
Raven---------------------------Cetti's Warbler (2)
Fieldfare (c40)-----------------B H Gull (c40)
Little Egret (2)-----------------Mute Swan (2)
L Redpoll (1)

+Otter

FLASHES:
Lapwing (c190)---------------B H Gull (c80)
Teal (26)----------------------Mute Swan (2)

SAILING POOL:
Tufted Duck (5)--------------G C Grebe (2)
Little Egret (one of the Moors two)

Ditch progress images later.

Des.

Moors Channel Update:

Des.

Attachments

• P1100519 (640x543).jpg
    P1100519 (640x543).jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 135
  • P1100521 (640x511).jpg
    P1100521 (640x511).jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 148