• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (18 Viewers)

Dave J further reports from the Flashes 2 Common Sandpiper and 32 Avocets (including the ringed '64' bird plus the hatching of the first brood)

Found this beauty along the river today. I think it's a female Beautiful Demoiselle but i'm happy to be corrected if not.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 82
Work party Tuesday 4th May.

Just to let you know that our leaders, John and Paul, are both away this week. Therefore there will be no work party tomorrow. Birding only!:t::t:

Observed 35 different species in a couple of hours at The Moors today. These included my first swift, common tern and blackcap of 2015. I saw a young robin being fed by an adult on the track near the East Hide. Several orange tipped butterflies about when walking by the Salwarpe.

From this morning Dave J reports a Dunlin and 31 Avocet at the Flashes; 3 Common Sand, Garden Warbler, Yellow Wag and Med Gull (2s) at the Moors Pool

Tuesday 5th May 1430-1845

Unfortunately the promising conditions of a strong southerly combined with heavy, prolonged showers failed to deliver any significant passage.

MOORS POOL

2 Common Sandpiper, 2 Lapwing, 4 Oystercatcher, 1 Snipe, 1 Shelduck, 6 Shoveler (5 males, 1 female), 46 Tufted Duck, 4 GC Grebe, 2 Little Grebe, 45 Coot, 2 Mute Swan, 21 Canada Geese, 1 Cormorant, 3 LBB Gull, 1 Herring Gull, 6 Common Tern, 2 Arctic Tern, c200 hirundines, c25 Swift, Cetti's Warbler, Long-tailed Tit trapped inside the hide before being freed by myself and Peter E

NORTH MOORS
1 Greylag Goose, 2 Shoveler (pair), 2 Gadwall (pair). Later 8 Tufted Duck (presumed to be already been counted on the Moors Pool)

SAILING POOL
3 Canada Geese, 3 Coot, 4 GC Grebe, 5 Tufted Duck, c100 hirundines
Earlier House Sparrow in the Sailing Centre car park as per Peter E

FLASHES
Minimum of 29 Avocet with 2 young, 5 LRP, 8 Lapwing, 1 Dunlin, 2 Oystercatcher, 7 Shelduck, 1 Teal (male), 3 Gadwall (pair + male), 1 Shoveler (male), 18 Tufted Duck, 18 Coot, 13 Moorhen, 1 Grey Heron, 2 Mute Swan, 2 Canada Geese, Cetti's Warbler

The 300 hirundines across the reserve were split approximately: 160 Sand Martin, 110 Swallows, 30 House Martins.

Across the reserve there were plenty of singing Chiffchaff plus decent numbers of Reed and Sedge Warbler but other than a few Blackcaps little else in terms of warbler vocals.

The water level at the Flashes was 0.49 and still rising when I left, threatening a number of the nesting waders. I have opened the sluice as much as I could i.e. very little given the clumsy %$£@# mechanism (Des - could you close tomorrow; if not I will do so on Thursday).

Hopefully tomorrow will see a bit more movement - with several Arctic and Pom Skuas loitering in the Severn Estuary a nice south-westerly gust could lift them overland ....

MOORS POOL

2 Common Sandpiper, 2 Lapwing, 4 Oystercatcher, 1 Snipe, 1 Shelduck, 6 Shoveler (5 males, 1 female), 46 Tufted Duck, 4 GC Grebe, 2 Little Grebe, 45 Coot, 2 Mute Swan, 21 Canada Geese, 1 Cormorant, 3 LBB Gull, 1 Herring Gull, 6 Common Tern, 2 Arctic Tern, c200 hirundines, c25 Swift, Cetti's Warbler, Long-tailed Tit

Phil, you can add a Kingfisher that was heading down the new Soggy Bottom flyway between the causeway and the Moors pool.

Peter

Bits and bobs

Couple of other noteworthy sightings over the last ten days that haven't made it onto the forum:

- Adult Little Gull at the Moors Pool on 26th April
- 1 Arctic Tern on the Sailing Pool on 1st May
- 3 Whimbrel over the Moors Pool on 3rd May
- Male Wheatear at the Flashes on 4th May

Today's highlights on a particularly cool and wet day:

MOORS:
Med Gull (2s+1s)------------------Common Tern (9)
Shelduck (1)-----------------------Gadwall (pr)
Tufted Duck (53)-------------------Shoveler (3m+f)
Oystercatcher (4)------------------Lapwing (2)
Swift (c20)-------------------------Cormorant (1)
Water Rail--------------------------Little Grebe (3)
Whitethroat------------------------Cetti's Warbler (3)

NORTH MOORS:
Shoveler (2 prs)-------------------Goldcrest
Water Rail--------------------------Cetti's Warbler

FLASHES:
LRP (4)-----------------------------Avocet (31) + broods of 2:2:2:1
Lapwing (10)-----------------------Oystercatcher (2)
Gadwall (pr)------------------------Tufted Duck (17)
Shelduck (5)------------------------Shoveler (pr)
Lesser Whitethroat-----------------Med Gull (1s) from the Moors
Peregrine---------------------------LBB Gull (2ad)
Cetti's Warbler

SALWARPE:
Kingfisher (2)

Phil, the sluice is closed at the Flashes.

Des.

Med gull on nest on shingle -cage island pete lewis

Can everyone keep an eye on this and see what it is paired up with - I had assumed that the long-staying second summer bird was a male given the displaying / territory defending activity.

Med Gulls have never bred in the county; not sure if one has attempted paired with a BHG at another site?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back