• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (135 Viewers)

Today at Flashes. LRP 6 + chick 12 days old. Ruff. Common sand 2. Green sand 5. Avocet 15 + 7 chicks. Lapwing 110 1 juv. Curlew 16. oystercatchers 3. greenshank reported. also Stock dove 23. raven . Teal

John,

I assume you are not being rude here. Can you enlighten me?

Peter

Ps. By how much time did I miss the Water Rail?

maybe a Freudian slip8-P
no its predictive text on my mobile, just read it :-O

Helen woodman from the Trust come to tell us about the MOTHING session tonight and would we have any objections.

The rail chick was a good hour after you left. :t: John

work party today at FLASHES

Today we cleared a strip of reeds in front of the Hen Pool hide. Even though we cut in front in late April it soon grows up.

Photo's
1 before work
2 - 4 after work
5 the water rail chick...you have to look hard, black body and white bill.
several reed warblers showed well. also a cetti's called within the reeds. Then the water rail chick appeared in the right side channel.
plenty of green veined white butterflies and also small skipper & small tortoiseshell, also brown hawker and others.

Attachments

• 1.B4 WRK HEN POOL DSCF9370.jpg
    1.B4 WRK HEN POOL DSCF9370.jpg
    828.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 2. AFT WRK HEN POOL DSCF9374.jpg
    2. AFT WRK HEN POOL DSCF9374.jpg
    919.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 3. AFTA IN FRONT HEN POOL DSCF9376.jpg
    3. AFTA IN FRONT HEN POOL DSCF9376.jpg
    963.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 4.SIDE VIEW of Hen pool west DSCF9380.jpg
    4.SIDE VIEW of Hen pool west DSCF9380.jpg
    636.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 5. water rail chick hen pool DSCF9398 (2).jpg
    5. water rail chick hen pool DSCF9398 (2).jpg
    502.5 KB · Views: 88
Today we cleared a strip of reeds in front of the Hen Pool hide. Even though we cut in front in late April it soon grows up.

Photo's
1 before work
2 - 4 after work
5 the water rail chick...you have to look hard, black body and white bill.
several reed warblers showed well. also a cetti's called within the reeds. Then the water rail chick appeared in the right side channel.
plenty of green veined white butterflies and also small skipper & small tortoiseshell, also brown hawker and others.

Peter E - is this the same Water Rail youngster you had earlier in the month or do you suspect a different bird / brood?

These flies were abundant in the marshy area of the Hen pool after the work. Any ideas you entomologists out there.B :)

Attachments

• what are these flies DSCF9440.jpg
    what are these flies DSCF9440.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 2. flyDSCF9428.jpg
    2. flyDSCF9428.jpg
    579.2 KB · Views: 88
Report of a Bar-tailed Godwit at the Flashes on the 11th July (the same day a Blackwit was present); I presume this is either a mis-identification or a data entry error.

Des is off for 2 weeks

With Des away for 2 weeks we will be looking for snippets of news on a Wednesday for the next two weeks.
Rob Guest has texted some news.
The fish in the Bittern channel are mostly Rudd and roach. A female tufted has a brood of 21 chicks almost certainly a crèche. also 2 avocet at Moors.

I think they are Semaphore Flies they were all over Flashes last year

they had white tips on the wings. Do they bite, only Paul got a couple of nasty bites from something. They must be providing plenty of sustenance for the local Reed warbler population as there were thousands of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back