• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (151 Viewers)

Off Topic Post

Off Topic Post Hi guys, a friend of mine is in France on holiday and visited a nature reserve with her niece.
They sent me a picture of a hatched egg remnant and have asked if I can ID the species. Thus far I have failed miserably.
Does anyone have a clue as to what the species may be? My thoughts were a gull species...Off Topic Post

Attachments

• egg.jpg
    egg.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 80
A very quiet day at the FLASHES. I arrived at 8am, but someone was already on route to the main hide, so I went to the Hen pool & 1st Flash(cuckoo) hides. At the hen pool the small 'black' chick showed well and a couple of reed warblers sang. From here to the cuckoo hide were many chiffchaffs feeding in the 'confluence' scrub and along the boundary scrub line. I then spent an hour or so in the cuckoo hide. I know the hide is a bit rickety and the windows open outward, but it is worth a spending a bit of time here. There is a good range of habitat, including scrub, reeds and you can see across to the willows on the north side of the Hen pool. Not forgetting the different view you get over of the 'central' Flashes. Today I wasn't disappointed. Early morning and evenings are best when there are masses of insects above the grass and wet area, and plenty of perches for flycatching. Species seen were lesser whitethroat (2), reed warbler c10 (2 singing), blackcap (3), chiffchaff several, willow warbler (singing) reed bunting family parties. Also common birds such as green, gold and bull finch + linnets, tits, gree and great spotted woodp and kingfisher. Also plenty of duck and waders on the Flashes.
SPECIES COUNT FLASHES:
Shelduck 2 juvs, mallard 110,
Avocet 10 + 7 chicks, LRP ad + chick 22 day old, lapwing 100+, curlew 17,
green sand 7, common tern juv,
Peregrine 2, buzzard 5, raven 2, stock dove 20,
water rail chick, coot c 18, house martin c35, plus the above at cuckoo hide.

Juv Tern in trouble

Before I went to the Moors I had a very fruitful meeting with Andy H from the trust , we are in discussions of the way forward and looking at all the possible scenarios of what could happen. This includes some very 'outside the box' ideas and nothing has been ruled out. Suffice to say that the Trust want exactly what we want for the Flashes...I am sure we will make the place even better in time.:t:

I received a call from Janner Falcon and Jarad told me about a juv tern looking in distress in one of the rafts at the Moors.
I arrived at the east hide to see the said tern acting strangely. It had moved on to the raft with the freshly hatched chicks and was getting some stick off the chicks parents. But the juv also looked like it had got something tied around its neck. It walked a few inches and would then bounce back to the mesh sides.
At times we can't intervene too much in nature, but this situation was not only harmful to the juv but it was also affecting the new chicks. The parents of the chicks were not fishing and were concentrating on evicting the 'stranger'. With no other wardens on site I made the decision alone to sort it. Thankfully a couple of members & forum readers (sorry didn't get your names) helped me launch the boat. When I arrived at the raft, the juv froze to the spot and looked very lethargic, with blood around its bill and more on the shingle. I inspected the bird and no real external problems were obvious its wings were intact and nothing was wrapped around it. I quickly removed the bird and returned it to 'its raft'. From the hide I watched the bird rubbing its throat against the mesh almost as if something was stuck in it. It could have been that it had swallowed a spiney fish and the spikes were trapped inside its throat. However 30 minutes later it seemed to gain strength and its parents returned with a fish. Hopefully it will survive but it certainly wouldn't have if left in the other raft. Many thanks to the 2 lads for the help with the boatB :) john

pics 1 in the wrong raft
2. returned to the safety of its own raft
3. back at home

Attachments

• juv distressed com tern DSCF9586.jpg
    juv distressed com tern DSCF9586.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 91
  • rescued chick DSCF9588.jpg
    rescued chick DSCF9588.jpg
    875.7 KB · Views: 109
  • tern back in its raft DSCF9591.jpg
    tern back in its raft DSCF9591.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Also on Moors Today
Little grebe 10 -12 ads plus brood of 2 and 1 in SW and 1 in NE. GCG 3 (1 juv)
Shoveler chicks all 6 ok, Mallard 220, tufted still plenty broods and chicks.
common tern flying juvs 2:1:1 plus the rescued one. also 2 chicks 4 or 5 days old. 8 -10 adults. coot 175.

Was good to finally catch up and looks like I might get a membership as its costing me a fortune in day tickets.
Took the wife and daughter but after a few hours they were bored and wanted to go to webbs over the road.

So looks like I need to come back again next week, can I pick membership up on the same day?

Was good to finally catch up and looks like I might get a membership as its costing me a fortune in day tickets.
Took the wife and daughter but after a few hours they were bored and wanted to go to webbs over the road.

So looks like I need to come back again next week, can I pick membership up on the same day?

Memberships can not be purchased on site but the forms are available in the hides. The Trust uses to operate a system by which if you sent in an Upton permit with your application form you could knock the £3 permit fee off the annual membership. Not sure if this is still the case; am sure John could confirm or refute

Last edited:
The second half of July traditionally sees the highest counts of Green Sandpiper. This year the maximum number on site has been 8 birds; if not bettered in the remainder of 2015 this would be the lowest peak annual count for 40 years (1975 managed a peak of only 5 birds).

Hi, I see that you reside in Brierley Hill so your local Wildlife Trust is the Birmingham and Black Country WT, membership costs just £2 per month and allows you to visit nearly every WT reserve in England including Upton Warren but not Norfolk.
http://www.bbcwildlife.org.uk/membership
Geoff

The second half of July traditionally sees the highest counts of Green Sandpiper. This year the maximum number on site has been 8 birds; if not bettered in the remainder of 2015 this would be the lowest peak annual count for 40 years (1975 managed a peak of only 5 birds).
Hi Phil, Is there less mud showing nowadays? My local patch in Lincs, Manby Flashes has only had 16 Green Sands this July compared to 30 in July 2013 but I had 42 in August 2013 so numbers could still improve.
Geoff

Hi, I see that you reside in Brierley Hill so your local Wildlife Trust is the Birmingham and Black Country WT, membership costs just £2 per month and allows you to visit nearly every WT reserve in England including Upton Warren but not Norfolk.
http://www.bbcwildlife.org.uk/membership
Geoff

A bit harsh there Geoff are you the new recruiting officer for the BBC wildlife trust8-P
The way I look at it, is that if you visit a site more than anywhere else then join that Trust ie Brandon - warwickshire trust .....upton - worcestershire trust etc.
Permits bought from wardens is reimbursed against membership subscription...but if permits are bought from the Cafe then that is not reimbursable . The reason being that we only get £1 out of the £3 you pay. That's why I say get a permit of wardens if you canB :) John

A bit harsh there Geoff are you the new recruiting officer for the BBC wildlife trust8-P
The way I look at it, is that if you visit a site more than anywhere else then join that Trust ie Brandon - warwickshire trust .....upton - worcestershire trust etc.
Permits bought from wardens is reimbursed against membership subscription...but if permits are bought from the Cafe then that is not reimbursable . The reason being that we only get £1 out of the £3 you pay. That's why I say get a permit of wardens if you canB :) John
Hi John, Just being loyal to my local trust (they need all the help they can get.)
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back