• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (133 Viewers)

The wind switches from the South Westerly of this afternoon to a South Easterly by tomorrow morning which will start overcast and then brighten up in the afternoon. On Sunday evening the wind will be a direct Easterly with rain from midnight through Monday morning with the wind direction constantly from the East - the next 48 hours could still yield some very good birds. Luckily I had already booked Monday off; if I am not drawn to the Norfolk or Yorkshire coasts I will do an all-dayer on the reserve

Last edited:
Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Avocet-----------------------Dunlin
Common Sand---------------Green Sand (2)
Snipe (3)--------------------Curlew (18)
Lapwing (c110)--------------Kestrel
Raven------------------------Peregrine (2)
Teal (55)---------------------Gadwall (3)
Shoveler (41)----------------B H Gull (c800)
L B B Gull (27)---------------Reed Warbler
Sedge Warbler---------------Lesser Whitethroat
Herring Gull (1)--------------Chiffchaff (10+) in hedge behind hide.

At 19.00 a possible fuscus intermedius or fuscus fuscus dropped in for 10 minutes. I've attached some record shots taken from some distance with a bridge camera in falling light.

Des.

Judging by the photos posted on Twitter, Craig had the same Baltic Gull candidate in the Flashes roost again tonight.

Fieldfare at the Flashes this morning as per Phil Jones - by far the earliest ever return date (previously 22nd September in 1988)

Last edited:
What do people think of this, the flashes at UW aren't allowed to dry out I believe.
http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/placestovisit/framptonmarsh/b/framptonmarsh-blog/default.aspx

A really informative piece Geoff and is similar to what we the Volunteers have been doing.There was an interesting piece about the 'drawbown' ie draining the site or at least the 2nd Flash. When it dried out 4 years ago we were concerned about the invertebrates being lost. They did disappear for a season but since then reappeared. I will pass this information on to the Trust. B :)john

Dave J reports from the Flashes this morning:

Little Stint, Avocet, Green Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper, 2 Snipe, Fieldfare (found by Clive Lee), 13 Raven (all in one flock), 6 Siskin, Willow Warbler

also this evening spent a bit of time in hen pool and cuckoo hides. Which produced 5 reed warblers. Cetti's. coot 29 -1st Flash. LBBG 250. herring gull c20. 1200. also redstart per Steve Spike. lesser whitethroat
The barn owl was seen on 7th by transmitters

WeBS count courtesy of Dave Jackson:

2 Mute Swan, 33 Greylag Geese, 236 Canada Geese, 1 Gadwall, 70 Teal, 51 Shoveler, c179 Mallard, 56 Tufted Duck, 7 Cormorant, 1 Little Egret, 3 Grey Heron, 12 Little Grebe, 5 GC Grebe, 8+ Water Rail, c51 Moorhen, 182 Coot, 1 Avocet, 143 Lapwing, 1 Little Stint, 6 Snipe, 1 Curlew, 1 Common Sandpiper, 1 Green Sandpiper, 2 Kingfisher, 415 BH Gull, 138 LBB Gull, 8 Herring Gull

Dave also recorded today:

Vis Mig - 36 House Martin, 96 Swallow, 7 Sand Martin, 13 Meadow Pipit
Moors Pool- Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Hobby, 3 Siskin, Mistle Thrush

Last edited:
Baltic Gull in the Flashes roost again this evening as per JTB (and meeting with Steve Whitehouse's approval)

John's Twitter description as follows:

"Small size. Very black uppers. No white in very long primaries. Small white spot on P10. Long narrow bill. White head. Small eye. Yellow legs."

Some further photos from last night on Craig's Twitter account @midlandsbirder

Last edited:
And still present at 1:45pm on the right hand corner of the sewage work fence.

Please note there is management work again at the Flashes from Tuesday 15th to Thursday 17th 9am to 5pm.

shrike still showing on and off either side of sewage works. Also little Stint and swift. Also good numbers of hirundines and a flock of 250 finches linnet/goldfinhes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back