• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (155 Viewers)

Nice one with the Casp Des; who was still there by that time? Thought the Stock Dove record may fall again today. Was that 11 Common Gulls in total and was there any duplication in Shoveler numbers?

Don't think I have ever seen such a dark mantled Herring Gull.

Nice one with the Casp Des; who was still there by that time? Thought the Stock Dove record may fall again today. Was that 11 Common Gulls in total and was there any duplication in Shoveler numbers?

Don't think I have ever seen such a dark mantled Herring Gull.

11 Common Gull in total and JHWR, JS, RWP and myself..

Des.

September closed with a monthly list of 112 species and the year list advanced to 139.

Potential additions in October include Brambling, Yellowhammer, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Ring Ouzel, Grey Plover, Little Owl, Short-eared owl, Long-eared Owl, Knot and Woodcock.

Last edited:
As well as the reserve's fourth record of Caspian Gull and a new maximum count of Stock Dove, today also saw the best Common Gull numbers (11) since 40 were present in the roost at the Flashes on the 16th October 2010.

11 Common Gull in total and JHWR, JS, RWP and myself..

Des.[/QUOTE
was the Caspo the same bird as Dave"s. There was at least 2 Argentatus types yesterday and. at least 1 Adult YLG. What time did the Caspo come in.

Appeared to be very much like Dave's bird. The Caspian was found at approximately 19.10, but it may well have been present before that time. Needless to say, the makeup of the roost was constantly changing.

Des.

Upton Warren listing

The Top Ten known (more or less) listers at Upton Warren are as follows, based on an updated version of the list on WorcesterBirding:

1) John Belsey - 213 (latest: Red-necked Grebe)
2) Andy Warr - 205 (latest: Red-necked Grebe)
3) Terry Hinett - 204 (latest: Red-necked Grebe)
=4) Mike Wakeman - 202 (latest: Great White Egret)
=4) Des Jennings - 202 (latest: Caspian Gull)
=6) Richard Harbird - 195 (latest: Shorelark)
=6) Dave Jackson - 195 (latest: Caspian Gull)
8) Dave Walker - 193 (latest: Red-necked Grebe)
9) Phil Andrews - 191 (latest: Red-backed Shrike)
10) Rob Prudden - 189 (latest: Osprey)

Lists that aren't known but would feature are Arthur Jacobs (approx. 210?), Steve Whitehouse (210+) and John Ridley (205+?) plus potentially the likes of Stuart Croft, Gordon Greaves and Roger Hill.

Appeared to be very much like Dave's bird. The Caspian was found at approximately 19.10, but it may well have been present before that time. Needless to say, the makeup of the roost was constantly changing.

Des.

Thanks Des. Having now done the roost 3 out of 4 days Saturday to Tuesday and seen different birds and numbers each time I think I will leave it till Saturday am. B :)

Flashes this morning: 6.00am -9.00am
As I arrived a lady was opening the gate to the sailing centre and I was able to park there.
The flashes were heaving with about 1500 Black Heads, 750 large gulls and 400+ geese predominantly Canada Geese. The cattle started moving about at 06.15 and flushed two thirds of the gulls which left in all directions. The only positive gull ids I made were Herring, LBB and Black Head, I couldn't even see one of the 12 Common Gulls from last night. By seven only a handful of gulls were left.

Avocet 1, Dunlin 1, Green Sandpiper 1, Curlew 18, Snipe 2.Moorhen, Coot, Pied Wagtail, Grey Wagtail 1, Mallard, Teal +30, Shoveller 29, Rook 52, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Raven 1, Meadow Pipit 1, Goldcrest, Chaffinch, Chiffchaff, Blackcap 7 (5 F/imm, 2 M), Great Spotted Woodpecker 2, Green Woodpecker 1, Magpie, Great Crested Grebe 5, Cormorant 1, Water Rail 1, Cetti's warbler 1, Robin, Wren, Woodpigeon, Stock Dove 50+, Blackbird, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Blue Tit, Great Tit.

John

this evening several of us were gathered with a bit more expectation aftet last night's showing. The BHG were assembled by 6.30 and a lone adult common gull circled and headed south. At 6.40 with just a few large gulls grounded something spooked everything and all the large gulls flew off north joining those that were already heading in that direction. By 7pm it looked like the spectacle had come to an end, with no more than 5 large gulls present. Then the sky was full of them, rapidly dropping on to the water. The light was going, making it even more difficult to scrutinise them. An interesting white headed bird was picked out. It had an extremely long black bill with no pronounced gonys angle which was accentuated by an angular forehead and throat. The birds head was small with an obvious gape line running to almost below the eye. There was blotching on the side of the neck. The was black but as small as I would expect for a caspo. Steve Whitehouse., Gavin Peplow and Jarad also saw the bird. Interesting to say the least. Unfortunately it was always front on and never came out the water.

counts: Shoveler 78. teal 60. Avocet. Snipe 4. Curlew 15. dunlin. Green sand. BHG 1400. LBBG1100. herrings 280. Common gull ad

Last edited:
I didn't realise there was another Peplow ;)

Could the bird you saw tonight have been the bird Dave photographed on Saturday?

I didn't realise there was another Peplow ;)

Could the bird you saw tonight have been the bird Dave photographed on Saturday?

No, more blotching on flanks and side of neck. light was really going. The others are gonna check through literature/photos etc. More of a juv than 1st winter never sen a gull like it. It might be worth speaking to SMW B :)

Last edited:
No more blotching on flanks and side of neck. light was really going. The others are gonna check through literature/photos etc. More of a juv than 1st winter never sen a gull like it. It might be worth speaking to SMW B :)

Sounds like some sort of odd hybrid with a Caspian influence? I seem to recall Stevie Nut may have had a hybrid this autumn?

Edit: see Blevide blog for 25th Sept although bill not as long as your sketch on Twitter

Last edited:
Sunday Work Party

The first Work party of the season at FLASHES. This Sunday 4th October. Meet at sailing pool Car park from 9.30
Work.: copping willows along hen brook . this will open up the flashes to limit stealth attacks from sparrowhawk on feeding waders. It will also improve the habitat for scrub species and cetti's in the area.
Light refreshments will be provided.
Thanks B :) John
sorry to those that will be birding . but work is vital to maintain the attractiveness of the site to waders

Users who are viewing this thread

Back