• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (47 Viewers)

Phil, I was at the Flashes on Sunday morning and agree with Fuzeare - numbers of Lapwing were high but not off the scale. I didn't formally count but c500 would be reasonable.

Cheers John and Fuzeare (Matt?) - unfortunately the BirdTrack contributor remained anonymous so I cant follow it up; a shame because all their other counts looked spot on

Great White Egret still at the Moors Pool this morning as per Des

Also 2 Little Egret, Redshank and Shelduck at the Moors

Last edited:
Think one could add to the highlights REDhead Smew, the trio of breeding ducks (Shoveler, Gadwall, Shelduck), breeding Raven etc. Might do a little poll on Twitter; don't tell Lech ;)

Having not found any of the above birds my vote will have to go with the Shrike for (a) wiping out the pain of not seeing the 1999 bird and (b) having predicted that very species at first light that morning

Edit: now added a poll to Twitter (search under #uptonwarren) - only live for 24 hours so get voting now!

Couple of hours left on the Twitter poll, currently:

Red-necked Grebe - 70%
Red-backed Shrike - 20%
Red-necked Phalarope - 10%

Today's highlights:

MOORS: up to mid-morning only.
Great White Egret----------------Little Egret (2)
Redshank---------------------------Shelduck
Gadwall (2)-------------------------Pochard (21)
Teal (c100)-------------------------Shoveler (c40)
Kingfisher---------------------------Grey Wagtail
Redpoll(3)--------------------------Siskin (1)
+ Stuart Croft

FLASHES:mid-morning only
Lapwing (c400)---------------------Greylag Goose (30)
Teal (12)----------------------------Little Egret (1) flew through.

SAILING POOL
G C Grebe (10)----------------------Little Grebe (3)
Tufted Duck (9)

Des.

The Red-necked Grebe ended up as the firm winner in the "Bird of the Year" poll in Twitter with 73% of the votes. Thanks to all who took part.

In 2016 I and hopefully a few Upton regulars will get involved in this friendly birding event. I've not done it before so anyone who has maybe you could explain it in simple terms on here.
see link below, simple to register:t:

http://patchworkchallenge.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/what-is-patchwork-challenge.html

Would be good if one or two of the Upton regulars got involved as they would be pushing for Champions League places for sure. I've loved doing in this year at Salford Priors GP, it certainly keeps you motivated and make you look for birds yourself.

In simple terms - you just compete an excel sheet and at end of month you just enter the score generated by the spreadsheet on the website (takes 30 seconds) . Birds vary in value, most regulars are just a single point each. Once you have recorded a species for the year you don't have enter it again the following month, which my my original worry.

Pintail was my 129th species of the year. A slow spring soon picked up this autumn. Although waders were sadly lacking all year. Yes let's hope for a great 2016 and a few of us get involved in the Patchwatch challenge 👍

Would be good if one or two of the Upton regulars got involved as they would be pushing for Champions League places for sure. I've loved doing in this year at Salford Priors GP, it certainly keeps you motivated and make you look for birds yourself.

In simple terms - you just compete an excel sheet and at end of month you just enter the score generated by the spreadsheet on the website (takes 30 seconds) . Birds vary in value, most regulars are just a single point each. Once you have recorded a species for the year you don't have enter it again the following month, which my my original worry.

Neil - is there extra points for finding birds?

Neil - is there extra points for finding birds?

Yes, if they are sufficiently scarce per the scoresheet. The scoresheet can be downloaded from the Patchwork site on the net. Enter name of bird and it brings up the points automatically. Quite easy once downloaded, although that took me while earlier this year. Did it for 'North Redditch' this year, which was Lower Park and lanes/fields by our house - 84 species and 88 points so far. Nothing scarce enough for finders points and only four worth more than one point - says volumes about the patch 😄

That's still a great effort. It's quite often these little patches that land the gems ! We will be all there when you find that Belted Kingfisher on the fisheries.

Yes, if they are sufficiently scarce per the scoresheet. The scoresheet can be downloaded from the Patchwork site on the net. Enter name of bird and it brings up the points automatically. Quite easy once downloaded, although that took me while earlier this year. Did it for 'North Redditch' this year, which was Lower Park and lanes/fields by our house - 84 species and 88 points so far. Nothing scarce enough for finders points and only four worth more than one point - says volumes about the patch 😄

Cheers Neil - I wonder if John retrospectively completed the form for this year at Upton what it would come out at. If Stevie N took part he would boss it at Belvide

Cheers Neil - I wonder if John retrospectively completed the form for this year at Upton what it would come out at. If Stevie N took part he would boss it at Belvide

Phil...I think Andy Pitt would have walked it this year. I'm sure red backed shrike. red necked phalarope smew would be bonus points. Dave J also with Caspo and roseates would be 2nd:t:john

Pintail was my 129th species of the year. A slow spring soon picked up this autumn. Although waders were sadly lacking all year. Yes let's hope for a great 2016 and a few of us get involved in the Patchwatch challenge 👍

Pintail was my 99th UW species of 2015 (I don't put anything like your effort in John). Wonder if I'll get to 100?

I have signed up for the Patchwork Challenge for 2016, so maybe I'll try harder next year :t:

Attachments

• Pintail record.jpg
    Pintail record.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 157
A couple of GWE photos from this morning.:t:
It was very obliging for a few minutes.

Merry Christmas to all at Upton WarenB :)B :)

Attachments

• 584A7364.JPG
    584A7364.JPG
    438.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 584A7370.JPG
    584A7370.JPG
    417.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 584A7372.JPG
    584A7372.JPG
    488.7 KB · Views: 140

Users who are viewing this thread

Back