• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (165 Viewers)

Tuesday's MOORS work party

For the next 6 TUESDAY'S we will working out on Amy's Marsh at the Moors. I know many regulars already know to avoid the Moors on Tuesday Mornings (due to a Full Car Park), BUT in recent weeks there has been an increase in birders on Tuesdays. Luckily we have been working away from the waters edge, so we haven't disturbed the birds. However from now until mid-March there will be a lot of disturbance. So apologies for that but it is essential work needed to make the breeding season more successful.
If anyone wants to get involved and help us, you will be welcome.:t:John

I've got the membership details through and am in the process of sending them off, in the meantime, is access available by way of donation perhaps?

I'm sure if you are becoming a member you can go in for nothing. :t:

On the subject of PERMITS. these can be bought from the sailing centre Café. They are £3 per person per day accompanied children are free. Also the Café does a good range of hot sandwiches and cake at a good price much cheaper than Webbs and with a better viewB :)

Last edited:
I'm sure if you are becoming a member you can go in for nothing. :t:

On the subject of PERMITS. these can be bought from the sailing centre Café. They are £3 per person per day accompanied children are free. Also the Café does a good range of hot sandwiches and cake at a good price much cheaper than Webbs and with a better viewB :)

Excellent!

Thanks for that, will more than likely pop down there tomorrow.

Would be nice to think that something like a Kittiwake or a rarer duck might be brought in by today's weathee

That was my hope and rationale for being there at first light. Unfortunately nothing out of the ordinary appeared, although I did add five species to my PatchWatch Challenge total, bringing it to a (very)modest 65... although John did point out I could count a heard only Cetti's too 😣

Thought I'd post a brief report as I had the entire reserve to myself this afternoon. Though since even my binocular strap was saturated, I think I can understand why. Highlights as follow.

Flashes:
Jack Snipe still showing well from Cuckoo Hide
Little Egret (1)
Lapwing (357)
Common Snipe (2)
Teal and Mallard the only ducks present, though Tufted on Sailing Pool

Water rising nicely as per photo.

Moors:
Little Egret (1)
Shelduck (6)
Pochard (4)
Coal Tit (2)
Curlew (12)

Several Song Thrush singing despite the weather. Acrobatic Grey Squirrel feasting from the feeders outside Jacobs Hide.

Attachments

• Little Egret and Jack Snipe.jpg
    Little Egret and Jack Snipe.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Flashes.jpg
    Flashes.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Updated from Dave J at the Flashes:

3 Shelduck, 2 Skylark, Meadow Pipit, loads of water, interesting gull (Black-headed x Med Gull?)

Also 3 Little Egret roosting at the Sailing Pool at dawn

Last edited:
Water levels

Water levels at Moors and Flashes are up significantly. The sluice at the Flashes is now overflowing with 1st and 2nd flash completely under water .

Attachments

• 2016-02-07_18.55.08.jpg
    2016-02-07_18.55.08.jpg
    950 KB · Views: 60
  • 2016-02-07_18.53.35.jpg
    2016-02-07_18.53.35.jpg
    500.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 2016-02-07_18.52.33.jpg
    2016-02-07_18.52.33.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 2016-02-07_18.51.21.jpg
    2016-02-07_18.51.21.jpg
    517.4 KB · Views: 70
Looking at all the pics and comparing the levels at the sluice. I would say we are now at winter level 5cm above spring level. So the water is back where we wanted it although a bit quicker than we expected. Just waiting for the avocet then :t:

Marked difference in water levels from yesterday, photos taken at 16:45. No sign of the Jack Snipe. Oystercatcher (1), Curlew (12), Shelduck (2) and Lapwing (500) were the only birds of any note.

Attachments

• Flashes 7 Feb.jpg
    Flashes 7 Feb.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Depth gauge.jpg
    Depth gauge.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 86

Users who are viewing this thread

Back