• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (104 Viewers)

Today moors

Spent the afternoon in the East hide. The pool was 99%open just a bit of ice in the Bittern channel ,seasonal pool and Broadmeadow pool. The main attraction was the increasing amount of shoveler performing their gyrating feeding 'dance'. The scrape was full of dabblers and coot with a few snipe scattered around the perimeter. Several large gulls pre-roosted amongst the BHG's. Again pochard had vacated the reserve. The thrush roost contained just a single starling and redwing amongst the fired fare, 2 mistle thrush perched on power lines south of hide.
Species count:
Little grebe 3. little egret 3. grey heron. mute swan 4. Greylag 50+. cormorant 8. shoveler 52. teal 45. gadwall 7. Shelduck 4. tufted 18. coot 112+. water rail. snipe 12. curlew 13.
BHG 140. Herring gull 7. LBBG 12.
Buzzard 2. stock dove 4.
mistle thrush 2. song thrush. fieldfare 40. redwing 1. starling 1. grey wag. pied wag. lesser redpoll 7 - Dave J.
Cetti's Warbler

Canon lens case

I picked up a Canon lens case and lens caps yesterday on the Moors. I'll hand it to JTB on the Tuesday work party where it can be claimed back.:t::t:

enjoyable morning good to see so many Birders about.Morning started in the rain slowly cleared mainly cloudy but with some sun.Otter (small single animal) turned up at 9.05am

Attachments

• IMG_4465.JPG
    IMG_4465.JPG
    586.7 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_4476.JPG
    IMG_4476.JPG
    481.3 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_4480.JPG
    IMG_4480.JPG
    487.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4481.JPG
    IMG_4481.JPG
    694.1 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_4484.JPG
    IMG_4484.JPG
    480.4 KB · Views: 139
Flashes quiet Lapwing 700+ being spooked by 2 buzzards,several Snipe, Linnets, woodpecker drumming, good number of Teal.

Attachments

• IMG_4485.JPG
    IMG_4485.JPG
    275.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4488.JPG
    IMG_4488.JPG
    810.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4492.JPG
    IMG_4492.JPG
    624.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_4494.JPG
    IMG_4494.JPG
    368.4 KB · Views: 80
Today Dave J reported the following at a foggy Moors Pool:

2 Little Egrets, 2 Wigeon, 6 Pochard, 4 Shelduck, 2 Gadwall, Redpoll, Coal Tit

This morning. Up to 6 Shelduck between Moors & the Flashes, 2 Little Egret and 2 Wigeon - Moors still. Several Redpooll, Chiffchaff by gate to overflow car park on the flashes. Also an influx of Goldcrest - I saw at least 8 over the reserve.
On the way home into Bromsgrove in lay by on A38 before Buntsford roundabout and before Morrison 2 Waxwing on top of trees dropping into gardens behind. Also found 11 Waxwing yesterday afternoon in grounds of The Hilton coming out of Bromsgrove on A38. They're certainly in the area!

work party Moors Tomorrow

Tomorrow we will be working around the east marsh and Swampy bottom. Re-aligning the dead hedge lines. Generally tweaking previous weeks work.

This morning. Up to 6 Shelduck between Moors & the Flashes, 2 Little Egret and 2 Wigeon - Moors still. Several Redpooll, Chiffchaff by gate to overflow car park on the flashes. Also an influx of Goldcrest - I saw at least 8 over the reserve.
On the way home into Bromsgrove in lay by on A38 before Buntsford roundabout and before Morrison 2 Waxwing on top of trees dropping into gardens behind. Also found 11 Waxwing yesterday afternoon in grounds of The Hilton coming out of Bromsgrove on A38. They're certainly in the area!

An adult winter Common Gull dropped onto the promontory at the Moors Pool late morning and a weasel ran across the causeway as I was making my way back to the car park.

Arrived at the Moors around 3pm and went to the Jacobs Hide where the feeders were busy. Species included long tailed tits and I could see a little egret and grey heron over the other side around Amy's Marsh. A flock of lapwing took to the air with some gulls at one point but I couldn't see what had disturbed them. Several cormorants.
As I walked along the causeway, I saw two shelduck on the North Moors Pool.
Over at the East Hide, it felt more sheltered as the wind had been directly in my face on the other side. A flock of about a dozen curlew took off from Shingle Island in the direction of the Flashes after 4pm. I counted around 60 shoveller, many looking like they were in pairs. There were quite a few teal and tufted duck, but the main noise was from the Canada geese.
It was encouraging to see that it was still light just after 5pm, and it was towards 5.15pm when three little grebe appeared. I couldn't see any snipe today.

Work party Tuesday Moors

The weather curtailed the session a little, but that was probably due to the promise of Tony's cake:eat:

The screening along the new viewpoint was completed.
The 'plank' across the Salwarp had been washed away, but it was found down stream...a bit bigger than it looked in Des's photo.
Removed some overhangs and brash from swampy bottom.
We also removed all the brash from last week's willow coppicing and encorporated it in the new viewpoint.
We also planned next weeks work along swampy bottom and secret garden.
and then ate loads of cake8-P

Thanks to the 11. Bob O. Bobby P. Charles. Dave H. Jim B John C. Peter E. Ray C . Roger . Tony B and me

pics
1. the approach to new viewpoint
2. view..we will monitor the area in front of viewpoint throughout the seasons and tweak as and when required

:t:John

Attachments

• approach to new viewpoint DSCF8401.jpg
    approach to new viewpoint DSCF8401.jpg
    960 KB · Views: 69
  • view from new viewpoint. Jan 17DSCF8397.jpg
    view from new viewpoint. Jan 17DSCF8397.jpg
    921.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Birding at the Moors

Spent the whole day on the Moors 8.25am - 5.25pm.
Amy's Marsh was a hive of activity. The promontory was full of snipe, teal, lapwing and mid afternoon Phil W and myself found a Jack snipe simultaneously my first of the year. Late on many coots grazed the banks around the 'scrape'. All the duck fed within 100. yards of the east hide late on. This included the gyrating shoveler. Gadwall fed in the Broadmeadow pool alongside teal. Last thing even the little grebes got in on the act when 3 of them came out of the 'hook'.
Just before dark I could see that a couple of hundred large gulls where dropping on to the Flashes.

Species count : Little grebe 3. little egret 2. cormorant 23. shoveler 51. teal 115. gadwall 10. wigeon fem. pochard 3 males. tufted 22. Shelduck 4.
Snipe 72. Jack snipe. Curlew 13. lapwing large numbers coming over from the Flashes with more over the Flashes. I would estimate at least 950 and probably 1000+.
Coot 105. water rail 3 calling from causeway.
Green woodpecker. kingfisher.
Fieldfare 45. redwing 2. song thrush 2 singing . starling 6. grey wag. pied wag. Cetti's Warbler. coal tit.

Today's highlights:

MOORS:
Oystercatcher----------------Little Egret (3)
Wigeon (2)-------------------Shelduck (7)
Gadwall (10)-----------------Teal (73)
Pochard (7)------------------Shoveler (52)
Curlew (13)------------------Snipe (c50)
Tufted Duck (15)------------Cormorant (25)
Grey Wagtail-----------------Kingfisher
Mute Swan (1)---------------Coot (95)
Water Rail (2)----------------Cetti's Warbler (3)
Pheasant----------------------Song Thrush (3) all singing
Mistle Thrush singing--------Goldcrest (2)
Redpoll (14)------------------Fieldfare (45)
Redwing (6)------------------Sparrowhawk
Greylag Goose (45)----------L B B Gull (29) on the water+c350 heading north at dusk.
Herring Gull (6) on the water+ 30 heading north at dusk
B H Gull (c800)

FLASHES:
Lapwing (c 400)--------------Peregrine
Teal ( c40)--------------------Curlew (as Flashes)
Shoveler (1)

SAILING POOL:
G C Grebe (3)-----------------Kingfisher
Tufted Duck (9)

Des.

Today's highlights:

MOORS:
Oystercatcher----------------Little Egret (3)
Wigeon (2)-------------------Shelduck (7)
Gadwall (10)-----------------Teal (73)
Pochard (7)------------------Shoveler (52)
Curlew (13)------------------Snipe (c50)
Tufted Duck (15)------------Cormorant (25)
Grey Wagtail-----------------Kingfisher
Mute Swan (1)---------------Coot (95)
Water Rail (2)----------------Cetti's Warbler (3)
Pheasant----------------------Song Thrush (3) all singing
Mistle Thrush singing--------Goldcrest (2)
Redpoll (14)------------------Fieldfare (45)
Redwing (6)------------------Sparrowhawk
Greylag Goose (45)----------L B B Gull (29) on the water+c350 heading north at dusk.
Herring Gull (6) on the water+ 30 heading north at dusk
B H Gull (c800)

FLASHES:
Lapwing (c 400)--------------Peregrine
Teal ( c40)--------------------Curlew (as Flashes)
Shoveler (1)

SAILING POOL:
G C Grebe (3)-----------------Kingfisher
Tufted Duck (9)

Des.

In addition to the 2 Wigeon at the Moors Pool - which Des informed me were both females - there were 2 drakes on the 3rd flash at the Flashes until 9am at least.

Moors this afternoon-

1 Oystercatcher still, 3 Little Egret, Grey Heron, numerous Snipe, Greylag Goose, Shoveler, Teal, Fieldfare and Redwing.

Chris

All dayer...mostly at the moors with a couple of hours at the flashes...0800-1700

Moors
BH Gull (c150 in morning...growing throughout the day to c300)
Cetti's (2)
Coot (c100)
Curlew (13
Gadwall (2 pr)
Greylag (c50)
Little Egret (3)
MEADOW PIPIT (5)
OYSTERCATCHER (1)
PEREGRINE (1)
Pochard (8)
Redwing (11)
Shelduck (5)
Shoveler (34)
Snipe (50+)
Teal (c30)
Tufted (23)

Flashes
Fieldfare (c25)
Green Woodpecker (1)
Greylag (51...same ones as at the moors)
Herring Gull (1)
Redwing (several flocks passing through...largest c60)
Shelduck (2)
Teal (c100)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back