• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (136 Viewers)

last day of my holidays and what a morning.
pic 1 Dumped on the Moors car park if anyone knows where it comes from can you let them know.
North moors. greeted by 2 sets of Robin families,3 mute swans,Moors lots going on east track large numbers of house martins and swifts,on the pool quite sure 3 common tern chicks on the large raft.also 3 cetti's calling on walking over to the west hide I spotted a large raptor 3/4 the way over the pool towards the east hide,flying over the trees on the east track heading north.I confirmed later with Bob P this was the Red Kite he reported my 1st at Upton in 3 1/2 years,Thanks Bob.:t: looks like a Jackdaw has learnt from the Jay which was around as well.
Sailing pool Greylag with goslings,26c Greylag fly over too + Egyptian goose,Flashes LRP chick still around and 2 ravens but the Boardwalk was amazing today with so many House Martins flying around your head.

Attachments

• IMG_5417.JPG
    IMG_5417.JPG
    771.5 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_5418.JPG
    IMG_5418.JPG
    622.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5423.JPG
    IMG_5423.JPG
    557 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_5430.JPG
    IMG_5430.JPG
    703.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_5436.JPG
    IMG_5436.JPG
    648.4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
5 more.
ps did I tell you I saw a Red Kite at Upton today 8-P.

Attachments

• IMG_5448.JPG
    IMG_5448.JPG
    533.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_5449.JPG
    IMG_5449.JPG
    463.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5450.JPG
    IMG_5450.JPG
    703.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_5452.JPG
    IMG_5452.JPG
    426.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5453.JPG
    IMG_5453.JPG
    494.5 KB · Views: 87
last day of my holidays and what a morning.
pic 1 Dumped on the Moors car park if anyone knows where it comes from can you let them know.
North moors. greeted by 2 sets of Robin families,3 mute swans,Moors lots going on east track large numbers of house martins and swifts,on the pool quite sure 3 common tern chicks on the large raft.also 3 cetti's calling on walking over to the west hide I spotted a large raptor 3/4 the way over the pool towards the east hide,flying over the trees on the east track heading north.I confirmed later with Bob P this was the Red Kite he reported my 1st at Upton in 3 1/2 years,Thanks Bob.:t: looks like a Jackdaw has learnt from the Jay which was around as well.
Sailing pool Greylag with goslings,26c Greylag fly over too + Egyptian goose,Flashes LRP chick still around and 2 ravens but the Boardwalk was amazing today with so many House Martins flying around your head.

Nice one Tim - not many breeding records of Greylag Goose at Upton; will look up details later.

Today's highlights:

MOORS/ N MOORS*
Gadwall (2) + 4 chicks-----------Common Tern (10) + 2:1 chicks
Lapwing (2) + 4 chicks----------Oystercatcher (4) + 2 chicks
Shoveler (pr)----------------------Tufted Duck (45) (6)*
Med Gull (2 x 3 cal year)---------Greylag Goose (12)
Kingfisher*

FLASHES/SAILING POOL*
Avocet (min 46) +19 young------LRP (4) No young.
Redshank (2)----------------------Oystercatcher (2). No sign of other adults or chicks.
Shelduck (2)----------------------Gadwall (7)
Shoveler (pr) (m)-----------------Lapwing (12)
Greylags (2) + 3 chicks*---------Whitethroat- near climbing frames
Chiffchaff feeding two young along track to Flashes near Hen Pool.
Egyptian Goose seen flying north of the Flashes.

Des.

Des,

Presumably these terns were on the large raft. Was there any sign of terns occupying the newly-refurbished small rafts?

Peter

There were a couple of Terns on a small raft, but BH Gulls were also occupying the smaller rafts.

Des.

Shot of OYC family at The Moors

Shot of oystercatcher family this morning, on The Broadmeadow at Moors. For the record only, showing 3 chicks.

Attachments

• OYCs + chicks-9636.jpg
    OYCs + chicks-9636.jpg
    612.3 KB · Views: 113
Family party of 4 House Sparrows visiting the feeding station by the West Hide at the Moors Pool as per Craig R

Also Red Kite reported west of the Moors Pool flying north towards Bromsgrove as per Andy Thomas

Last edited:
Nice evening visiting both sides of the reserve.
Some nice views of both Med Gull chicks at the Moors Pool. Occasionally on view from the Water rail 'concrete' hide. Lots of flapping, wing stretching and getting fairly old now. Should be able to fly in the next few days!

Another highlight was my first House Sparrows actually within the boundary of the reserve. A family flock (1m, 1f + 2juv) visiting feeders but keeping a fairly low profile in the scrub between the two hides.

The flashes haden't changed much to recent days. 19 Avocet chicks. 7 Shoveler here (5m) but pride of place must go to the 13 Gadwall (+1 grown chick). The Lapwings look to have given up with breeding, with 14 looking disinterested in the meadow.

Walking back to the car, a Kingfisher flew along the brook, a Peregrine over the Sailing Pool and the Egyptian Goose again at the boat ramp.

DSC01232 - Copy.JPGDSC01251 - Copy.JPGDSC01286 - Copy.JPG

Nice evening visiting both sides of the reserve.
Some nice views of both Med Gull chicks at the Moors Pool. Occasionally on view from the Water rail 'concrete' hide. Lots of flapping, wing stretching and getting fairly old now. Should be able to fly in the next few days!

Another highlight was my first House Sparrows actually within the boundary of the reserve. A family flock (1m, 1f + 2juv) visiting feeders but keeping a fairly low profile in the scrub between the two hides.

The flashes haden't changed much to recent days. 19 Avocet chicks. 7 Shoveler here (5m) but pride of place must go to the 13 Gadwall (+1 grown chick). The Lapwings look to have given up with breeding, with 14 looking disinterested in the meadow.

Walking back to the car, a Kingfisher flew along the brook, a Peregrine over the Sailing Pool and the Egyptian Goose again at the boat ramp.

Hi Craig - presumably the young Gadwall is fledged and therefore was raised elsewhere?

Dave J reports from the Flashes this morning:

47 Avocet + 19 young (3:2:1:2:1:2:2:3:2,1), adult Mediterranean Gull, 5 LR Plover, 2 Oystercatcher, Redshank, 17 Lapwing

Egyptian Goose still on the Sailing Pool

Last edited:
From the Moors Pool this morning Dave J reports:

3 Med Gulls (first summer + 2 second summers) + 2 young, 4 Oystercatcher (no chicks observed), 2 Lapwing (+ 4 young), 8+ Common Tern (+ just 1 young)

Spotted this young Blue Tit with a couple of unsightly growths...probably won't make it... |:(|

Attachments

• 20170612_201739.jpg
    20170612_201739.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 112
Dave J's results from Sunday's WeBS count:

Avocet 47, Canada Goose 78, Coot 88, Egyptian Goose 1, Gadwall 9, Grest Crested Grebe 3+, Grey Heron 2, Greylag Goose 3, Kingfisher 1, Lapwing 19, Little Grebe 4+, Little Ringed Plover 5, Mallard 122, Moorhen 15+, Mute Swan 7, Oyestercatcher 6, Redshank 1, Shelduck 1, Shoveler 4, Tufted Duck 71, BH Gull 698, Herring Gull 4, LBB Gull 6, Common Tern 8

Last edited:
Shoveler brood with 7 ducklings at the Moors Pool as per Bob Oakley

Just for the record, a distant picture of the shoveler with ducklings, taken at the insistence of Bob. You can make out the seven ducklings, one partly hidden by the parent.

I couldn't resist sharing the picture of this wren, perching in the classic wren pose, taken along the path on the way back to the carpark at The Flashes.

Attachments

• Shoveler and chicks-9801.jpg
    Shoveler and chicks-9801.jpg
    564.5 KB · Views: 120
  • Wren-9810.jpg
    Wren-9810.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 114

Users who are viewing this thread

Back