• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (159 Viewers)

At the Moors Pool this morming Des reports:

2 Pochard, 6 Shelduck, 4 Gadwall, Little Ringed Plover, 15 Swift, 4 Oystercatcher.

Tuesday 30th APRIL

Yesterday the early start 5.30 was cold and misty the SE wind ideal at this time of year emanated more from the low pressure out to the west than the high pressure over Europe. The latter would be more rewarding, but either way some migrants did appear. By 9am migration was almost over as temperatures rose and conditions settled.

FLASHES:-
Little grebe 2 hen pool.
Shelduck 6. Gadwall 4. Shoveler 4. Tufted 12. GOOSANDER a male in the shallows below the sewage works swam out of the mist but was soon gone.
A whimbrel in the camping field flew off NW. An hour later this or another bird fed in the meadow. Soon afterwards a Redshank flew across the second FLASH this was my first of the year, proof of how this once annual breeder has become so rare in recent times.
A female WHEATEAR perched on wires at the eadt end of the Archery field before flying towards the transmitter field. Tim O had a CUCKOO fly over the SE corner of the Sailing pool to the Moors where Clive L heard it.
My first Swifts of the year hunted over the Education Reserve .
Lapwing14. LRP 4. Common Sand. Avocet 30. Oystercatcher 2. Redshank. Whimbrel.
Common tern 2. Med Gull 1st summer. Common gull 1st summer. Herring gull 2. LBBG 5. BHG 1000 (380 nests and a few chicks).
Buzzard 6.
Stock dove 20. Jay. Rook a few.
Swift 6. Swallow 2.
Skylark . Wheatear.
Willow warbler. Chiffchaff 3. Lesser Whitethroat. Blackcap 5. Sedge warbler 6. Reed warbler 4. Cetti's w singing.
Greenfinch now regularly seen in the confluence scrub. Linnet 8. Goldfinch 6.
Reed bunting 5

SAILING POOL:-
GCG 8. Little grebe 2. Tufted 15. Greylag 8.
Lesser Whitethroat.

MOORS:-
GCG 3. Little grebe 2 very quiet probably nesting.
Shoveler . Gadwall 4. Pochard male. Tufted 50.
Lapwing 3 ( not sure nesting pair are still sitting as vegetation is overgrown ). Oystercatcher 4.
BHG 120 nests. Herring gull. LBBG 15.
Kestrel. Sparrowhawk. Buzzard 8.
Whitethroat North Moors.

Last edited:
Whimbrel at the Flashes as per Roy Porter - is it the same bird that has now been lingering three days? (That would be virtually unknown)

Today's highlights:

MOORS:
Pochard (pair)----------------Shelduck (6)
Gadwall (4)-------------------Tufted Duck (56)
Oystercatcher (4)------------Lapwing (3)
LRP (2)------------------------G C Grebe (2)
Mute Swan (4)----------------Little Grebe (6)
Cormorant (1)----------------Sparrowhawk
Greylag Goose (3)------------Skylark (2)
Lesser Whitethroat (1)-------Common Whitethroat (2)
Kestrel-------------------------Swift (15). Spent about 5 mins feeding over the pool.

FLASHES:
Avocet (30)--------------------LRP (1)
Common Sand (1)------------Oystercatcher (2)
Lapwing (8)-------------------Gadwall (4)
Shoveler (1)-------------------Shelduck (3)
Tufted Duck (6)---------------Peregrine
Cetti's Warbler----------------Whimbrel-no sign this evening.
B H Gull-white ring 26V7 in black.
Med Gull (1s) reported this morning.

Des.

I have attached a checklist for those who wish to keep a personal tally during the day. Just to remind everyone, the overall total of 96 last year was the highest in the 25 years that the spring all-dayer has taken place. The individual day-list record of 82 was also broken by at least four people with the record now standing at 86 I think (or maybe 87?).

There were three new additions to the overall list during the day - Coal Tit, Yellow-legged Gull and Kittiwake - plus several that had not been record for a few years - Ruff (first since 1997), Redshank (2010), Green Sandpiper (2004) & Little Gull (2012).

On the downside Cuckoo was not recorded for the second successive year on the all-dayer and it looks like this year is going to make it three.

In the week leading up to last year's all-dayer I wrote the above. Sadly we only recorded 78 species on the day, 18 below the previous year's record total! Unsurprisingly this is the biggest difference between consecutive yearly totals and 78 was our third lowest total in spring.

I've attached a tick-list as usual, which shows the last year of occurrence on the spring all-dayer and the number of years, from a possible 26, that each species has been noted.

Good luck to all, let's hope we at get over the 80-mark this year :t:

Attachments

• uw checklist 2019.xlsx
    22.1 KB · Views: 28
In the week leading up to last year's all-dayer I wrote the above. Sadly we only recorded 78 species on the day, 18 below the previous year's record total! Unsurprisingly this is the biggest difference between consecutive yearly totals and 78 was our third lowest total in spring.

I've attached a tick-list as usual, which shows the last year of occurrence on the spring all-dayer and the number of years, from a possible 26, that each species has been noted.

Good luck to all, let's hope we at get over the 80-mark this year :t:

I managed 87 species on the 2017 Spring All-Dayer; got a little lost at the time as to whether anyone else also reached this figure (perhaps Paul Croft?)

From the Moors Pool yesterday afternoon Mike W reported:

Pochard 2, Swift 4, Common Sandpiper 1, Sand Martin 60+, Swallow 20+, House Martin 20+, BH Gull x Med Gull hybrid, Reed Warbler, Sedge Wabler, Whitethroat, Chiffchaff, Blackcap, Cetti's Warbler

From the Flashes yesterday evening Mike W reports:

Avocet 26, Lapwing 5, Little Ringed Plover 4, Oystercatcher 2, Shelduck 1, Shoveler 2, Gadwall 2, Great Crested Grebe 6 (Sailing Pool), Lesser Whitethroat, Cetti's Warbler, Skylark 3, first summer Med Gull

From the Flashes yesterday evening Mike W reports:

Avocet 26, Lapwing 5, Little Ringed Plover 4, Oystercatcher 2, Shelduck 1, Shoveler 2, Gadwall 2, Great Crested Grebe 6 (Sailing Pool), Lesser Whitethroat, Cetti's Warbler, Skylark 3, first summer Med Gull

Failed to update the Lapwing total on Twitter yesterday - final count was 10.

Spring All-Dayer

Sightings up to 6am:

Pochard on the North Moors (only the third sighting in 27 years on the Spring All Dayer)
Common Sandpiper on the Sailing Pool
Little Egret dropped into the Moors Pool (first for about a fortnight)
Mediterranean Gull, Lapwing 12, Avocet 29, Little Ringed Plover 4, Oystercatcher and Shelduck 4 at the Flashes.

Last edited:
Spring All-Dayer

Next set of updates:

Lesser Whitethroat at the Moors Pool
2 Common Tern over the Flashes then Moors Pool
Rook, Raven, Peregrine and Common Whitethroat from the archery field at the Flashes

Spring All-Dayer

The total stands at 75 species as at 09:55

Some good additions with Hobby and Yellow Wagtail

The most notable missing species currently are Teal, Curlew, Goldcrest, Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Coal Tit, Chaffinch, Grey Wagtail, Cuckoo, House Sparrow, Dunlin, Redshank, Mistle Thrush and Sparrowhawk

Last edited:
Could only manage a few hours this morning due to other commitments but managed 53 species. Whilst I fully expect that the following birds have already been seen I thought I better note them all down anyway-

Mute Swan, Greylag Goose, Canada Goose, Shelduck, Mallard, Gadwall, Shoveler, Pochard, Tufted Duck, Water Rail, Coot, Moorhen, Great Crested Grebe, Cormorant, Buzzard, Lapwing, Oystercatcher, Avocet, Little Ringed Plover, Common Sandpiper, Black-Headed Gull, Lesser Black-Backed Gull, Common Tern, Woodpigeon, Stock Dove, Feral Pigeon, Magpie, Jackdaw, Jay, Carrion Crow, Raven, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long-Tailed Tit, Robin, Dunnock, Wren, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Swift, Swallow, House Martin, Chiffchaff, Blackcap, Reed Warbler, Green Woodpecker, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Bullfinch, Linnet, Pied Wagtail and Reed Bunting.

Chris

Chaffinch and Feral Pigeon are new for the day; Lloyd has also had a Sparrowhawk which takes us to 78 (last year's total)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back